DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware v01.03.0800 or v01.03.0900 - which is best

The Mavic Pro

Reactions
I have just bought a new Mavic Pro, i had to return the 2 Mavic´s i bought back in December 2016 due to significant drunken horizon issues. Haven't tried this one yet, hope this one is better but I'm skeptic.

Anyway, i hooked it up to Assistant 2 and could see that it had firmware V01.03.800. I want my Mavic Pro to be as "open" as possible.
So my question is which firmware version is better and more stable between the two versions 01.03.800 and 01.03.900?
Have you guys had any problems on either of these firmwares, or is there any known issues with either one of these two?
And did the 900 firmware fix any significant problems except what the release notes say? Or maybe it did something to the worse instead, i know DJI most often doesn't write the bad changes in the release notes.

Thanks for some input.

I have just bought a new Mavic Pro, i had to return the 2 Mavic´s i bought back in December 2016 due to significant drunken horizon issues. Haven't tried this one yet, hope this one is better but I'm skeptic.

Anyway, i hooked it up to Assistant 2 and could see that it had firmware V01.03.800. I want my Mavic Pro to be as "open" as possible.
So my question is which firmware version is better and more stable between the two versions 01.03.800 and 01.03.900?
Have you guys had any problems on either of these firmwares, or is there any known issues with either one of these two?
And did the 900 firmware fix any significant problems except what the release notes say? Or maybe it did something to the worse instead, i know DJI most often doesn't write the bad changes in the release notes.

Thanks for some input.

If you want the most „open“ firmware you should download to .0700.
I am on .900 as I wanted the goggles implementation. I have no plans to upgrade further as I don’t need the spark features on my mavic

If you want the most „open“ firmware you should download to .0700.
I am on .900 as I wanted the goggles implementation. I have no plans to upgrade further as I don’t need the spark features on my mavic

Okay i see, but i thought that all Mavic Pro firmwares up to the last two ones (the .400 firmwares) were open? Isn't that the case? Or is that only about the downgrade possibility that is up to v01.03.900 ?

So how do i downgrade to 01.03.700?
I didnt get any downgrade options in Assistant 2, was that maybe because it is Assistant 2 version 1.1.6 for Mac? Maybe it needs to be version 1.1.2 ?

Yes up to .400 they are open but the best one to work with is the .700 it gives you the ultimate freedom.
Check that useful wiki done and maintained by a drone enthusiast and a bunch of clever people.
start [dji.retroroms.info]
Otherwise they were some threads about that here as well. Another useful source for you are the YouTube channel from @digdat0. He put a lot of work in some very useful videos

Reactions: Freebird32
Thanks, yes i have read a little bit on those websites, will have to do some more reading.
Yes when looking at a website i can see that up to 01.03.400 it was completely "open", but it seems pretty open up to .800 except one certain function that i dont care much about. Then of course its the question of stability of the firmware?
Would you say .700 is better than .800 in terms of firmware stability?

Last edited:
There is very little evidence that any firmware beyond 0400 improves anything. I have completed a dozen batteries worth of flights on 0400 and behavior was identical to flight I did using 0700/0800/0900/1000, with the exception of a single gimbal hissy fit (possibly a reaction to the wind or the sun glare). So for me, a goggles owner, MP on 0400, RC on 1000, Goggles on 1000, is proving to be suitable.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Go .700 for both AC and RC.. for me it is the best so far in term of stability and signal strength. Every MP will vary i think, especially on early batch production. Cmiiw

Thanks, yes i have read a little bit on those websites, will have to do some more reading.
Yes when looking at a website i can see that up to 01.03.400 it was completely "open", but it seems pretty open up to .800 except one certain function that i dont care much about. Then of course its the question of stability of the firmware?
Would you say .700 is better than .800 in terms of firmware stability?
Not so much difference. Aim for the .700 for total freedom, go to .900 for Goggles, except NFZ and Height you can mod it. Or leave it to .800, you‘re just fine. Just DONT upgrade to latest if you want to be able to roll back (for now).

I have the latest FW and everthing works fine. Not sure if I am just lucky, in denial or ignorant.
What exactly are the advantages of the lower updates to the FW over the latest version? Specifically please!
Worried about the DJI knowledge test? we can work through that.

I have the latest FW and everthing works fine. Not sure if I am just lucky, in denial or ignorant.
What exactly are the advantages of the lower updates to the FW over the latest version? Specifically please!
Worried about the DJI knowledge test? we can work through that.

Don’t worry, you are just fine.
Fly safe and enjoy your bird

What exactly are the advantages of the lower updates to the FW over the latest version?
I suspect that each operator has their own reasons. I can only speak for myself. I like the new features of the Goggles firmware so I've been updating it regularly (along with the RC to match, to keep head tracking compatible), but have stopped updating due to DJI introducing draconian firmware downgrading restrictions recently. As for the Mavic being on old 0400 firmware, this is because it is both the only firmware version that I am aware of that both supports head tracking pitch, and breaks head tracking yaw (which DJI refuses to give an option for), and allows me to fly flexibly without requiring use of the DJI GO app, so I don't even need to bring it. I equate smart phones with baseball caps and would hate to be caught dead with either!

youre-doing-it-5a214d.jpg

Last edited:
Just use the latest firmware...I don’t understand why people do not go wi5h the newest firmware for their devices. Seems idiotic and simply for their own ego as stated above.

Not worried at all, it seems that not up dating is just a futile ego driven resistance to change? Unless you can tell me a few specific reasons to roll back.

With experience of DJI stuff from 2012 onwards, building WKM and NAZA machines, flying phantoms and inspires and everything in between, I can say that there comes a certain point in which DJI start to introduce issues with firmware updates and "fix" things that weren't an issue, ruining them. With the inspires, on X5's they messed up the Dlog and sharpness early on, then later FWs crippled range and video feed. Prior to that it was good. They messed up stability on WKM's and stuff in the past also. That's why I choose to find a good FW and stick with it. Especially now that you can't roll some of them back.

Last edited:
I can say that there comes a certain point in which DJI start to introduce issues with firmware updates and "fix" things that weren't an issue, ruining them.

I agree with Blacksails. They introduced more bugs then they fixed in an attempt to lock down the firmware and other controls. They introduced a bunch of updates in a real hurry. Welcome to beta test group. Just look at the FW related issues in the Phantom forums and all Mavic issues occurring after 800. I've got 03.700. works just fine, no fly-aways, no dropping from the sky. I'll stick with it. I don't use goggles and I can manage airspace restrictions on my own, I have a pilot's license and know where I shouldn't be flying. My P3 is same way, flies just fine on an earlier stable FW.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000