DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First attempt on cenematic video (4 min. )

Ah, the sun-kissed beauty of golden hour. This is really nicely shot. Beautiful imagery, good variety of camera movements. The swans and the reflections in the water were great too. To make things even more cinematic, maybe try avoiding changing directions with the camera during shots. That'll smooth things out even more. Great video!

ehougaard: Right off the bat, your clip is WAY better than MY first attempt! Well done and of course, the swans were VERY cinematic. :)

Here are my suggestions:

- Once you have all your clips on the timeline, before you start making any cuts, pick your audio track and put it on the timeline too. Drag the height of the audio track to make it taller so you can see the peaks (beats of the music.) Now as you begin editing, when you find a spot where you want to make a cut or shorten a single clip, look at the audio track and zoom in so you can align your cut with the beat of the music. It's easier than you think and you actually got one perhaps intentionally, I don't know, at 2:18. I believe that doing this increases the overall presence and quality of the viewing experience.

- As iShouldBe said, watch out for abrupt camera or aircraft movements and don't include them in the final vid.

- Try to keep your final videos a little shorter, like two minutes or less. This is one of the most difficult parts for me because, as we all know, WE think OUR stuff looks GREAT and don't want to cut out any of it. <laughing hysterically....I'm my best audience.) :)

- Good work on just using jump cuts and a cross dissolve for transitions. Newbies, myself included, tend to want to use all the glitzy transitions available in most video editing software when in fact, less is more.

- Obviously, you don't need any camera help as your color grade and focus were on the money.

- Ditto for your smooth aircraft control, another difficult task for yours truly.

- Finally, just keep on keeping on is my best recommendation as experience and learning new things about your software and improving your flying/cinematic skills are the best way to improve the quality of your work, IMHO.

For a first attempt, I'd say it was magnificent.

Love the sun flare and the colors are gorgeous, first time, keep on keeping on matey.

Hey,

Great video. My first attempt was, well I think it's in my Recycle bin now. Agree on keeping the clip a little shorter (2 mins or thereabouts). Maybe one suggestion (and personal preference) you could use a few speed ramps (i.e. increase the speed of a section of a clip) in some places, i.e. maybe when your curving over the walkway you could speed up for a few seconds then return to normal speed. But overall really good and the music works really well with the content too. The swans too played their part perfectly :)

Thanks Ronan.

I’m surprised that the swans were so blasé about having a drone so close overhead.

Yes it really came to My suprise as well. It was important to me that I did not scare Them or stress Them out.

Beautiful video - well done.
Perhaps using Tripod mode would have smoothed the move(s) at 0:54.
Consider 'bookends' - that's an opening shot gliding down & in from a long distance & height to establish location and draw the viewer in.
Close with the other bookend - a reverse of the opening to take the viewer up & out to credits.
Leave 2 or 3 seconds of silent black on the end gives the viewer the opportunity to think 'That was good!'
I look forward to your next one.

Reactions: RonanCork
Beautiful video - well done.
Perhaps using Tripod mode would have smoothed the move(s) at 0:54.
Consider 'bookends' - that's an opening shot gliding down & in from a long distance & height to establish location and draw the viewer in.
Close with the other bookend - a reverse of the opening to take the viewer up & out to credits.
Leave 2 or 3 seconds of silent black on the end gives the viewer the opportunity to think 'That was good!'
I look forward to your next one.

Thanks. Good thougths I Will take into consideration next time...

Excellent. For a first video, you have prior skill in photography or something else. Or perhaps, to much time in front of the TV.

Exposure is excellent. This often is the achilles heal for 'beginers'. Really really good.

Cat tails back lite is great.

Swan overhead is awesome.

What is the story? I can see three or more stories here. Choose one, swans. cattails. movement of the water. walkway.

Tighter, more concise. I want to go there to .. see swans, walk, cattails? Draw me in for one thing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000