DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Attempt - Short video featuring local landmark bridge

rjwmorrell

Reactions

Here is a short video I put together using Wondershare Filmora featuring a few clips I shot using a DJI Mini SE of a local landmark bridge, the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge. Please review and shred it as necessary, I am trying to learn not only the videography but also the editing. The edit was a quick one with simple fades, no music, no watermark, no title screens, etc. I did a second version in which I sped up the last sequence, a closeup side scroll with upward gimbal and added a watermark, but didn't post that version.

Let me know what you like, what you don't, etc.

I wanted to do an overhead "zoomie" or tracking but I was concerned about clearance from some nearby high voltage wires and also possible safety issues as cyclists use the bridge frequently and I would be flying over people.

It needs a wide view to show perspective, the same as if you were using a still camera. Just because the drone can move doesn't mean it should move to get good video.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
It needs a wide view to show perspective, the same as if you were using a still camera. Just because the drone can move doesn't mean it should move to get good video.
Great, yes. I watched another bridge related video and there was a wide shot to start it. Sort of an "introduction" to the bridge before the moving/closer shots. Thanks!

Edit... something like this would probably do?

DJI_0011.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Cecil Webb
good start, especially using shorter scenes. Keep in mind that you don't need transitions (like your dissolves to black) between most scenes. Jump cuts work as well or better. And whatever you do, avoid complex transitions...

I often pay attention to commercial stuff on TV - note their use of short scenes and jump cuts, rarely complex transitions.

Great, yes. I watched another bridge related video and there was a wide shot to start it. Sort of an "introduction" to the bridge before the moving/closer shots. Thanks!

Edit... something like this would probably do?

View attachment 151478
It still doesn't where the bridge is located. There is even a name on top of one of the towers and it's not included. Think about a story to your video. Even of you don't narrate the video have a story line in your mind. It's not about artistic photos or a way to show of drone capabilities--that's a subject of it's own. Make the images flow from one scene to the next. Since this is a video it seems you should show the operation of the bridge.
Make sure each clip is long enough for the viewer to "digest" the information before going to the next clip and don't make jarring transitions form clip to clip.

It still doesn't where the bridge is located. There is even a name on top of one of the towers and it's not included. Think about a story to your video. Even of you don't narrate the video have a story line in your mind. It's not about artistic photos or a way to show of drone capabilities--that's a subject of it's own. Make the images flow from one scene to the next. Since this is a video it seems you should show the operation of the bridge.
Make sure each clip is long enough for the viewer to "digest" the information before going to the next clip and don't make jarring transitions form clip to clip.
Got it. Yeah, I had hoped a big ship would come through and the lift bridge would ... you know, lift. But no big ship traffic that day, at least not during golden hour when I was there collecting footage.

I've got some ideas now that would have established the location a bit better. The difficulty of the location is that the two piers and the land closer to the water is regulated by two different conservation authorities, both of which prohibit drone use. Best I can do is launch from where I was or a public street, but then I run into issues of flying over traffic and people, losing VLOS, and dealing with power lines nearby. I am also nervous about overflying the water too often, as an unexpected loss of control would result in no more drone.

But thanks for the feedback!

I understand concerns flying over water. Here is Florida retrieval from small rivers and ponds is a concern due to possible alligator presence.
I like narration or text on videos. In this case I would start with text introducing the bridge and location; otherwise it's just A bridge somewhere. You haven't given the specific location so it's not possible to help research flying possibilities. I assume it is in Canada as that's your location.
For a wide angle do you have a location a half mile away to get a good shot?

I understand concerns flying over water. Here is Florida retrieval from small rivers and ponds is a concern due to possible alligator presence.
I like narration or text on videos. In this case I would start with text introducing the bridge and location; otherwise it's just A bridge somewhere. You haven't given the specific location so it's not possible to help research flying possibilities. I assume it is in Canada as that's your location.
For a wide angle do you have a location a half mile away to get a good shot?
Yes, the bridge is the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge, a Government of Canada operated bridge that connects the cities of Burlington and Hamilton across the Burlington Canal, on the western tip of Lake Ontario, in Ontario, Canada.

A bridge has existed here since 1830. The current bridge was built in 1962. It only operates during the shipping season (which means it is closed during winter), and allows bulk transports into Hamilton to deliver materials for the several steel producers located there. It also raises to allow sailboat and other larger motor vessels in and out of the bay.

The canalside (including the two piers) on the east side is under the regulatory authority of the Hamilton Conservation Authority. The west side is the Halton Conservation Authority, and there is a large federal government building housing a Coast Guard establishment and Environment Canada offices. The federal government does not prohibit drone use from its parking lot, but both conservation authorities do. The airspace is Class G, but within a water aerodrome, so pilots are cautioned to keep watch for occasional seaplane traffic (I have never seen one land or take off).

I could probably fly from the Government of Canada building parking lot, which would give me a wider angle shot of the bridge, it would be framed by the taller Burlington Skyway (a double-span highway bridge about 80 m away from the lift bridge over which the QEW highway travels). The other option is from a vessel, but if I launched from the piers I would technically be trespassing on the conservation authority property, since neither one allows drone us without permission and payment of photography fees.

Reactions: FLDave
Yes, the bridge is the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge, a Government of Canada operated bridge that connects the cities of Burlington and Hamilton across the Burlington Canal, on the western tip of Lake Ontario, in Ontario, Canada.

A bridge has existed here since 1830. The current bridge was built in 1962. It only operates during the shipping season (which means it is closed during winter), and allows bulk transports into Hamilton to deliver materials for the several steel producers located there. It also raises to allow sailboat and other larger motor vessels in and out of the bay.

The canalside (including the two piers) on the east side is under the regulatory authority of the Hamilton Conservation Authority. The west side is the Halton Conservation Authority, and there is a large federal government building housing a Coast Guard establishment and Environment Canada offices. The federal government does not prohibit drone use from its parking lot, but both conservation authorities do. The airspace is Class G, but within a water aerodrome, so pilots are cautioned to keep watch for occasional seaplane traffic (I have never seen one land or take off).

I could probably fly from the Government of Canada building parking lot, which would give me a wider angle shot of the bridge, it would be framed by the taller Burlington Skyway (a double-span highway bridge about 80 m away from the lift bridge over which the QEW highway travels). The other option is from a vessel, but if I launched from the piers I would technically be trespassing on the conservation authority property, since neither one allows drone us without permission and payment of photography fees.
Thanks for the background information. I'm always interested to know more about a video than just being a video.
I checked out on Google maps; it's my curiosity side. What about takeoff from one of the "trails" along side of the canal? I didn't see anything specific about no flys as I checked out only on B4UFly; it doesn't cover local no-takeoff restrictions. It does seem to be an interesting and challenging opportunity.
Where takeoff is not permitted you could hand-hold your drone for a low shot just to add interest to your finished video.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka