DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First crash of my M2Z

Duke56

Reactions
Weird. The .txt and .dat file in the link below. Put the Zoom up, was no more than 720 ft away I lost video on my CS. I lost sight of it, hard to pick it back up once you look down at the CS dealing with the transmission drop. Message came up "lost video transmission, RTH in progress" or something close to that. I raised the drone up over 200 ft to be sure it didn't run in to anything. Still couldn't pick up a visual. finally I heard it above me. Looked up and I could see it as it announced it was landing. Suddenly, it just dropped to the ground with no warning.Never got an error message on my screen other than the transmission lost. Never regained video link on my CS as it approached me. Drone is a total loss. I had flown the drone both Saturday and Sunday prior with no issues. Only thing different this time was updated the no fly database before take off.

Hoping someone can tell me what the logs show happened. I don't think it's pilot error but you guys tell me. I'll upload pictures of the drone, it's not pretty. I do have DJI refresh so opened a claim. Second link is the video file off the sd card. I can't get it to play.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Sounds like a catastrophic failure for sure. Sorry to hear about it.
I’m thinking a battery failure and/or drone being turned off/losing power before the video was ended, so it appears as an incomplete file. Battery latches have been suspect on the M2 series.
Maybe put the data up using the output of this site for analysis:

Can't get it to play either. Would love to see some pictures of the damage.

If it is still under warranty, getting an analysis might help you get a replacement from DJI or a discount at least.

Hope you have insurance and/or DJICare?

I’m betting the camera and/or power just quit and it would take special software or a specialty data retrieval to see the video... save the original file.

Sounds like a catastrophic failure for sure. Sorry to hear about it.
I’m thinking a battery failure and/or drone being turned off/losing power before the video was ended, so it appears as an incomplete file. Battery latches have been suspect on the M2 series.
Maybe put the data up using the output of this site for analysis:

I uploaded the files. How do get a link to post here?

Reactions: Thomas B
I don't see anything to that leads to it just dropping from 100ft. Last I saw it in the air it was above me beginning decent from RTH. Then it just dropped like a brick.
sar104 will look later i bet too - but - so far you need to open a case with support and sent those logs there

at that mark 110.8 it seems your IMU 1 has died. then, at the end of what .dat shows - no more data is there and altitude is 50m.
to add - this to me says that flight controller hanged or died at that point.

all that does not look quite good. others may see more in there than i do.

Last edited:
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
also - i would say, it looks more like a warranty case, not a dji refresh case. but, you decide. i dunno how it works in such cases - i think if it is a warranty case then refresh can be transferred for no cost.

Anyone notice his strange battery voltage readings? At first the cells are discharging nominally, then, at around 1min 47seconds they start to go up and then soon after freeze ?
yes. the fact of going up and down is called sag - measured voltage on cell alters based on the level of drawn current. the fact that voltage is no longer communicated may be due to a partial disconnect of battery connector, or a failure of battery communication chip.

i posted amazon link for 16mm wide 300mm long battery straps - i suggest using it on every flight to prevent battery disconnect. it a cheap insurance and is not difficult to do.

Reactions: Spirytus
yes. the fact of going up and down is called sag - measured voltage on cell alters based on the level of drawn current. the fact that voltage is no longer communicated may be due to a partial disconnect of battery connector, or a failure of battery communication chip.

i posted amazon link for 16mm wide 300mm long battery straps - i suggest using it on every flight to prevent battery disconnect. it a cheap insurance and is not difficult to do.

Yeah... Plausible explanation.

Also, his total battery percentage keeps dropping for the remainder of the flight (as it should), yet the cell voltages remain unchanged.

I wonder if they're completely separate voltage sensors or maybe it's just the app/rc 'guesstimating' total percentage based on flight time.

Where's your link? Post it here pls.

Yeah... Plausible explanation.

Also, his total battery percentage keeps dropping for the remainder of the flight (as it should), yet the cell voltages remain unchanged.

I wonder if they're completely separate voltage sensors or maybe it's just the app/rc 'guesstimating' total percentage based on flight time.

Where's your link? Post it here pls.

consumed mah is done based on current measurement - current sensor is on the bird board. per-cell individual voltage is the communication from the battery, i would presume.

i got those straps, there may be better ones. what matters - this size fits. 10mm would be better than 16, but, i did not find such.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580