DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First days with Mavic Air 2...

JDerrick

Reactions
First day with my drone was last Friday. My first flight was in a abandoned parking lot in the middle of the city. Flying it back and forth, practicing take offs and landings, and obstacle avoidance. I did this for approximately 1 hour and a half going through three batteries. I quickly realized that I would be losing sight of the drone when I topped off around 400 ft and anything over a thousand feet distance. I tried to look in the phone lens in order to try to fly it that way. It was difficult with the drone so close to me. So I just kept watching the drone to make corrections in my flight. Then I went home and charged the batteries while getting some chores done.
About 6 hours later I set out again. I flew my drone from a mall parking lot. This was at a nearly abandoned Mall with a lot fewer trees around it. I began flying my drone following a road. Then back to me using my phone. I would glance up from time to time to try to see the drone. I quickly learned that I would need to use reference points from the ground to go somewhere distant or back home. Unless I used the rth. At around 4,000 ft and 350 ft altitude I began losing communication with my drone. This was due to loss of line of sight issues, I believe.
Took some good still photographs. I also need to learn a lot more about photography. And probably more from trial and error. I understand it pretty well but I need to learn how to adjust things on the app for better results.
Fast forward to today. It has been raining for the past 2 days and today is my only day off this week. I enjoyed my first day with my drone so much that I ordered a wet suit for it. I emailed phantomrain to see if the discount is still in effect for the Twilight package. I asked him a question about the rotor motors and how those were protected with the wetsuit. Found out that they do not need protection. And can survive the rain by themselves. That was one question. The next question was how do you put the wetsuit on the drone? He was very quick to respond to each of my questions. And provide me with an invoice with the discount.
I hope it gets here soon. The next thing I need to order is a hood for my phone. I've been researching on some of the links provided on the forum here. I emailed Sunnylife about theirs yesterday and have not got a response yet. I kind of like the lanyard on the skyreat, so may buy that one next payday.
Hope everybody had a terrific weekend. Unfortunately I had to work. Take care and be safe, please.

I got you, your in good hands , Thank you for the support.

One note : Learn how to Master the RTH , dont be afraid to use it several times during one flight,
It will provide you a very quick spin and give you Orientation for the way back home, you can cancel at any time.

I say this because many people panic when they go to use it , hitting the button to many times and and causing all kinds of confusion, Learn to use it, master it and you will be a better pilot for it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain. and Land on the Water.

I quickly learned that I would need to use reference points from the ground to go somewhere distant or back home.

Besides RTH to get yourself home when not sure about where you are, you should have the map on screen, and a green line that runs between home point and the red arrow (the drone).
Just turn the red arrow to line up with the green line to home, and click your red shoe heels together (right stick forward) and you'll be back in no time ? ;)

Just make sure you get that GPS / home point recorded before moving from take off.

edit typo

Last edited:
First day with my drone was last Friday. My first flight was in a abandoned parking lot in the middle of the city. Flying it back and forth, practicing take offs and landings, and obstacle avoidance. I did this for approximately 1 hour and a half going through three batteries. I quickly realized that I would be losing sight of the drone when I topped off around 400 ft and anything over a thousand feet distance. I tried to look in the phone lens in order to try to fly it that way. It was difficult with the drone so close to me. So I just kept watching the drone to make corrections in my flight. Then I went home and charged the batteries while getting some chores done.
About 6 hours later I set out again. I flew my drone from a mall parking lot. This was at a nearly abandoned Mall with a lot fewer trees around it. I began flying my drone following a road. Then back to me using my phone. I would glance up from time to time to try to see the drone. I quickly learned that I would need to use reference points from the ground to go somewhere distant or back home. Unless I used the rth. At around 4,000 ft and 350 ft altitude I began losing communication with my drone. This was due to loss of line of sight issues, I believe.
Took some good still photographs. I also need to learn a lot more about photography. And probably more from trial and error. I understand it pretty well but I need to learn how to adjust things on the app for better results.
Fast forward to today. It has been raining for the past 2 days and today is my only day off this week. I enjoyed my first day with my drone so much that I ordered a wet suit for it. I emailed phantomrain to see if the discount is still in effect for the Twilight package. I asked him a question about the rotor motors and how those were protected with the wetsuit. Found out that they do not need protection. And can survive the rain by themselves. That was one question. The next question was how do you put the wetsuit on the drone? He was very quick to respond to each of my questions. And provide me with an invoice with the discount.
I hope it gets here soon. The next thing I need to order is a hood for my phone. I've been researching on some of the links provided on the forum here. I emailed Sunnylife about theirs yesterday and have not got a response yet. I kind of like the lanyard on the skyreat, so may buy that one next payday.
Hope everybody had a terrific weekend. Unfortunately I had to work. Take care and be safe, please.
Hood for the phone: It is not the sunlight hitting the screen, which is annoying. It is your well-lit face that shows up as refelction on the screen which is the problem - a hood doesn't help. Been there, done that, ...

Today I went to fly my drone before work and kept getting "RC not connected to drone" warning. I have been scouring the site for any advice about this. The drone worked with the controller but I had no picture from the drone on my phone.
I rebooted the phone. Rebooted the rc and the drone. Still could not get a picture. I removed the wire from my phone and plugged it back in. Still no luck.
I noticed that I had updates to download automatically via Wi-Fi. I am wondering if it's updates that is screwing with me. When I get off tonight I'm going to try to work my drone a little bit. Hope it works this time. I will be connected to Wi-Fi at least.

Hood for the phone: It is not the sunlight hitting the screen, which is annoying. It is your well-lit face that shows up as refelction on the screen which is the problem - a hood doesn't help. Been there, done that, ...
arrgh - dyslexia struck again: "reflection"!

arrgh - dyslexia struck again: "reflection"!
I'm really not getting your point. When I held the back of my phone towards the Sun, face still lit up, I could see it clearly. When I lowered it I could see almost nothing.
I went ahead and bought a cheap little Hood and it was delivered today. I'll see how it does Saturday if I'm able to fly. I'll report back to you the results. ??

Today I went to fly my drone before work and kept getting "RC not connected to drone" warning. I have been scouring the site for any advice about this. The drone worked with the controller but I had no picture from the drone on my phone.
I rebooted the phone. Rebooted the rc and the drone. Still could not get a picture. I removed the wire from my phone and plugged it back in. Still no luck.
I noticed that I had updates to download automatically via Wi-Fi. I am wondering if it's updates that is screwing with me. When I get off tonight I'm going to try to work my drone a little bit. Hope it works this time. I will be connected to Wi-Fi at least.
I got that warning twice when I was learning to fly my MA2. Both times it was because I hadn’t connected the Remote Controller to my iPhone, using the cable that plugs into the bottom of the iPhone.

I really don't see any use in the "wet suit". Maybe if your flying just for fun but even that is crazy in the rain. The camera will get wet then you have no pics or video, and I don't trust people saying the motors will be fine. Why not wait till a sunny day? I use RTH all the time, once it gets close I go back to manual mode. A firehouse strobe will help with line of sight. Just understand "line of sight" is a must. Not only for safety but for control. One huge building between you and your drone limits your control severely . The sensors are you last resort. I'm 55 and amazed by what this drone can do ! The younger crowd is pissed that the drone crashes when they use "follow me mode" on their mountain bike through a canopy forest. I don't get it !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett