DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First drone and full of questions

randall.p

Reactions
Does anyone know if the antenna extenders are worth buying..I dont mean the twin dome things I mean the ones that are virtually the same shape as the stock antennas but are considerably longer.Im super stoked dji just informed me theyve shipped my mm...

because of the size of the MM at long range you will be unable to see it and would be flying BVLOS,i think that the cost of such a system which would mean opening up the controller to fit,would not be justified on the MM but thats just my opinion on the subject

It looks to me like you simply unscrew short antennas and screw in the longer ones..I'm not trying to go much further,really, just trying to improve the overall connectivity of the lil fella... The drone will dissapear real soon anyhow because of its size, so fpv is necessary I think, and funner its what its all about being as close to a bird as humanly possible or being an airplane or helicopter making all the putput noises with your mouth. :) wish has them on for 51buk.???????????? AnYoNe

The antenna's are not screwed on they are attached to the case with a pinch twist and turn type of fitting and you would need to disassemble the controller to release the small cable connections from the circuit board inside

Not a screw on design

The antenna's are not screwed on the are attached to the case with a pinch twist and turn type of fitting and you would need to disassemble the controller to release the small cable connections from the circuit board inside

Not a screw on design
ah ok I see .thank you for pointing that out t looked like a small rg type cable

The replacement ones you posted are that type of fitting

BUT you have to open the remote disassemble the stock setup and then add the sockets from that kit to the case of the remote and connect the internal cable from the socket to the board inside and reassemble the remote

Then you can screw the aerials provided in the kit to the sockets you just fitted

too easy but.......in your opinion would they make it worth the
while to install them
it is fairly easy to do if you have the confidence to strip things apart, you have to be careful when it comes to removing the micro coax connectors that go to the antennas from the board, as they are very easy to damage and sometimes they have silicone on them to prevent them coming apart, to me i dont think that the MM warrants the risk of damaging the controller ,but the decision is really yours you asked for an opinion and that is mine

If you are looking at one of the longer antennas like the one listed above you'll note it's only designed for 2.4G so it won't benefit those of us in North America (at least with the Mini).

Well you helped me change my mind.thanks for your input .Question# 2..Ive read about this software that changes the firmware or something, to let you fly in the nfz and other changes that dji has done to their quadso on..Whats the opinions of most at the forum..Is it immoral is it dangerous is it highly illegal or not so highly illegal..Seems to me to be a dangerous piece of sware in the wrong hands.Imagine flying one of those huge utility drones into the engine of large plane..Id never use it I'm just curious about it that's all.

it would seem that with the MM that at this time,it is not possible to do what you mention in post #10,which for me is a good thing

I love my aftermarket antennas on my other DJI birds but I'm hesitant to pull that trigger on a new one under warranty.

Note that antenna length needs to be matched to signal frequency. Mismatches will reduce signal strength and distance.

I love my aftermarket antennas on my other DJI birds but I'm hesitant to pull that trigger on a new one under warranty.
is there a noticeable diff with the parabolics? I thought I read somewhere that they dont make a difference. Tell me your experience with them please sir..

It looks to me like you simply unscrew short antennas and screw in the longer ones..I'm not trying to go much further,really, just trying to improve the overall connectivity of the lil fella... The drone will dissapear real soon anyhow because of its size, so fpv is necessary I think, and funner its what its all about being as close to a bird as humanly possible or being an airplane or helicopter making all the putput noises with your mouth. :) wish has them on for 51buk.???????????? AnYoNe

it is not how it works. the optimal lenght of the exposed wire depends upon the used frequency and just making the exposed wire portion of the antenna longer will not help a lot.
to enhance signal significantly you need to use an active amplifier that is a whole different ordeal. none of those reflector 'extenders' really help much, and, what is worse - it creates a false sense of safety where you can more easily lose connection to the drone as it rotates in the sky.

overall, to add same opinion to what was already expressed - it is understood that is seems very tempting to fly this little thing away away from your position, but, it is not built for long solo flights. it is built to be at VLOS only, mostly, where you can easily get it back or lower it if it cannot fight the wind. bringing it up to 100m high and flying it kilometers away will most likely result in a lost drone, as some others already whined here about.

Reactions: old man mavic
Flight distance isn't greatly increased but video signal is improved.
is there a noticeable diff with the parabolics? I thought I read somewhere that they dont make a difference. Tell me your experience with them please sir..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242