DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Drone: Mini 3 or Air 2S

JonathanP

Reactions
I would like to pick up my first drone soon for aerial photography and video (non-paid professional use). From everything I have researched about these two drones the Air 2s appears to have the edge in most cases except for battery life (when compared to the extended battery of the mini 3), the vertical shot of the mini (don't care about it much), and the fact that the mini 3 can be bought with the DJI RC remote (but rumor has it that it will likely support the Air 2s soon).

But there is one big thing that keeps bringing me back towards the mini 3....Traveling to Europe in 10 months. I understand I would have to get the EU's A1-A3 certification regardless of which drone I bring and the A2 if I go above 250g. I don't have a problem doing any of this so I'm not going to let a little more red tape completely influence my purchase here. My biggest concerns about going with the Air 2s over the mini 3 in Europe are:

1) Noise - I will be traveling to the Amalfi Coast, Lake Como, and Switzerland (Jungfrau region and Lucerne). I will be traveling in the shoulder seasons so thankfully less crowded, but I am worried of being a nuisance due to the louder Air 2s. Anyone with experience flying in these areas I would welcome your thoughts and advice.
2) Insurance - I am still having a hard time understanding if I have to have liability insurance as a non-professional flyer in Europe. And if so, does it apply to both sub-250g drones and those over? Or just those over 250g?

If it wasn't for going to Europe I would almost certainly just get the Air 2s.

I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexstarsza
I think you answered your own question. Look at your second last sentence, then tell yourself "but I AM going to Europe...

You should also consider that the Mini 3 is much more compact, not a trivial issue for serious travel.

I have a mini 2 and a 2S. I use the 2S most of the time, but the mini in its case is so much smaller than the 2S, so for some kinds of travel....

Reactions: YVRGUY
My own decision with my first drone was to get the cheapest one that had enough features that I wouldn't be immediately frustrated. Or are you not prepared to entertain the possibility of later additions/upgrades?

I figured that a "crash:cost" ratio was probably important while I learnt the ropes.
Sure the Air 2S can do things the Mini3P can't, but vice versa. And it *is* <250g...

I think you answered your own question. Look at your second last sentence, then tell yourself "but I AM going to Europe...

You should also consider that the Mini 3 is much more compact, not a trivial issue for serious travel.

I have a mini 2 and a 2S. I use the 2S most of the time, but the mini in its case is so much smaller than the 2S, so for some kinds of travel....
Good point. I mean I travel pretty light anyway

Reactions: fotolowe
My own decision with my first drone was to get the cheapest one that had enough features that I wouldn't be immediately frustrated. Or are you not prepared to entertain the possibility of later additions/upgrades?

I figured that a "crash:cost" ratio was probably important while I learnt the ropes.
Sure the Air 2S can do things the Mini3P can't, but vice versa. And it *is* <250g...
I would probably upgrade. Either way, I am leaning towards the mini. Better to travel with and will be a nice companion to a larger model in the future.

I bought a Mini 2 as my first drone, with travel to places where drone weight is an issue as a major consideration, but at that point I wasn’t ready to go all in and get the Mini 3. But then I loved flying and realized I was not super happy with the photo quality of the Mini 2, so I bought a 2S for “real” photography and use that pretty much exclusively. All that said, the Mini 3 will obviously be less of a quality compromise than the Mini 2, so if I was in your shoes I would get the Mini 3

I have a Mavic 2 Pro, and got a Mavic Mini to allow me to fly places where I can't fly the bigger drone. (Canadian, so that makes a difference here.) This year I got a Mini 3, and honestly even in places where I can fly the Mavic 2 I've tended to just take the Mini 3, because it is lighter and quieter.

The Mavic 2 has a better camera, and handles gusty winds better, but the Mini is so much more convenient that I haven't flown the Mavic in months.

I'm now seriously considering trading in my Nikon D800 for a Fuji XT-5 (when it comes out), for the same reason — less weight means I'll take it more places. (Wasn't an issue a couple of decades ago, but now I find carrying too much weight saps enough energy that I just don't feel like photography.)

Reactions: timinator
I have both the Air 2S and the Mini 3 Pro.

The advantages of the Air 2S over the Mini 3 are
1. Maximum flight speed is higher, sometimes you might want "fast"
2. Because of 1., you can deal with flying in higher winds, but with speed and stability
3. Active Track is better (tracks higher speed vehicles better)

The advantages of the Mini 3 over the Air 2S
1. Exremely quick from bag to air. Extremely.
2. Longer flight time (with the big battery)
3. Quieter in flight
4. Smaller, harder to see in the air (bad for the pilot, good for keeping a low profile)
5. Everything you need goes in the bag included in the Fly More bundle, except the USB power supply (the Air 2S charging dock and PSU do not fit in the Fly More bag)
6. The DJI RC is WAY worth the cost, beats the pants off an Air 2S with a phone or tablet, without getting an exotic tablet (which takes the price way up).

As a result of the above, though I have both, I fly the Mini 3 3x more often than the Air 2s.
Note I'm not commenting on the differences in the cameras. That's because it's a very difficult comparison. The Air 2S 1" sensor (not really 1", but none are), should be an advantage, but it's really not so much. The Mini 3 camera's 48mpx max is, frankly, not real either though. Yes, you get those pixels, but there's no real detail that merrits them. So, it's really a lot more even than one beats the other. I think the Mini 3 is a bit better in low light, perhaps a stop or so, but we're in the world of computational photography anyway, so you can bring up exposure in post to a certain degree too.

For me, the Mini 3's size of the total kit along with the bright screen the controller make it win most often. I was in 20mph gusting winds today, and would have liked the Air 2S, but I got it done regardless.

And, my Mini 3 will be going to Europe with me.

2. Because of 1., you can deal with flying in higher winds, but with speed and stability

3. Quieter in flight
4. Smaller, harder to see in the air (bad for the pilot, good for keeping a low profile)
5. Everything you need goes in the bag included in the Fly More bundle, except the USB power supply (the Air 2S charging dock and PSU do not fit in the Fly More bag)
6. The DJI RC is WAY worth the cost, beats the pants off an Air 2S with a phone or tablet, without getting an exotic tablet (which takes the price way up).

As a result of the above, though I have both, I fly the Mini 3 3x more often than the Air 2s.
Note I'm not commenting on the differences in the cameras. That's because it's a very difficult comparison. The Air 2S 1" sensor (not really 1", but none are), should be an advantage, but it's really not so much. The Mini 3 camera's 48mpx max is, frankly, not real either though. Yes, you get those pixels, but there's no real detail that merrits them. So, it's really a lot more even than one beats the other. I think the Mini 3 is a bit better in low light, perhaps a stop or so, but we're in the world of computational photography anyway, so you can bring up exposure in post to a certain degree too.

For me, the Mini 3's size of the total kit along with the bright screen the controller make it win most often. I was in 20mph gusting winds today, and would have liked the Air 2S, but I got it done regardless.

Thanks for all of that! Much of what you said I have gathered from my own research but it's nice to hear from someone who actually has both aircraft. The quieter mini 3 is a big plus for me, especially when traveling as I think a louder drone in certain places would have me just leave it in my bag which would defeat the purpose of taking it anyway.

Mini 3 Pro…hands down if you’re travelling. I’ve filtered through and down to the Mini class after owning an Air 2S which by the way is a super bird. But, from experience the Minis rule in the travel department. I have the Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro and their durability and photo quality are not an issue.

Have a great trip

🇨🇦👍

I would like to pick up my first drone soon for aerial photography and video (non-paid professional use). From everything I have researched about these two drones the Air 2s appears to have the edge in most cases except for battery life (when compared to the extended battery of the mini 3), the vertical shot of the mini (don't care about it much), and the fact that the mini 3 can be bought with the DJI RC remote (but rumor has it that it will likely support the Air 2s soon).

But there is one big thing that keeps bringing me back towards the mini 3....Traveling to Europe in 10 months. I understand I would have to get the EU's A1-A3 certification regardless of which drone I bring and the A2 if I go above 250g. I don't have a problem doing any of this so I'm not going to let a little more red tape completely influence my purchase here. My biggest concerns about going with the Air 2s over the mini 3 in Europe are:

1) Noise - I will be traveling to the Amalfi Coast, Lake Como, and Switzerland (Jungfrau region and Lucerne). I will be traveling in the shoulder seasons so thankfully less crowded, but I am worried of being a nuisance due to the louder Air 2s. Anyone with experience flying in these areas I would welcome your thoughts and advice.
2) Insurance - I am still having a hard time understanding if I have to have liability insurance as a non-professional flyer in Europe. And if so, does it apply to both sub-250g drones and those over? Or just those over 250g?

If it wasn't for going to Europe I would almost certainly just get the Air 2s.

I appreciate your thoughts and advice.
I think the better question is, do I buy a Mini3 Pro or wait for the Mavic 3 Classic. I would bet big money the Air2s is on it's way out very soon. It doesn't make sense to have in the lineup once the Mavic 3 classic launches. Also, the Air2S is getting a bit long in the tooth by DJI standards anyway.

I think the better question is, do I buy a Mini3 Pro or wait for the Mavic 3 Classic. I would bet big money the Air2s is on it's way out very soon. It doesn't make sense to have in the lineup once the Mavic 3 classic launches. Also, the Air2S is getting a bit long in the tooth by DJI standards anyway.
It's tough...I feel like DJI priced the M3Classic just a bit too high to displace the Air2s. I guess the M3Classic pricing is still up in the air, but it seems like the FMC will be upwards of $2k, which is significantly more than the Air2S and on the high side of the "amateur/enthusiast" price range without adding that much in value, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, the Air2S is a good drone. and I did own one, so I am speaking from experience. On paper, it may seem the Mavic 3 isn't that much different than the Air2S, but that could not be further from the truth. It is better in every aspect including image quality, flight time, high wind performance, range... etc. I understand your point about the price but I look at it like this. If I am going to invest in a drone I want to keep for a while, it is worth more money up front to get a better product. Also, as a side note, I also own a Mini 3 Pro and would take it over the Air2S any day. I like the look oof the images I am getting out of it and it looks better than the air2S to me personally.

Reactions: skycam509

3. Quieter in flight

I have an Air 2s and Mini 2. I'm thinking about upgrading the Mini 2 to a Mini 3. Based on your observations about the cameras, I'm curious about the 48MP deal - do you use that mode or just leave it at 12MP? I've seen comparisons of the 48MP vs. A2s 20MP. A2s wins every time, in my opinion. So, is there any benefit to using the 48MP mode?

Don't get me wrong, the Air2S is a good drone. and I did own one, so I am speaking from experience. On paper, it may seem the Mavic 3 isn't that much different than the Air2S, but that could not be further from the truth. It is better in every aspect including image quality, flight time, high wind performance, range... etc. I understand your point about the price but I look at it like this. If I am going to invest in a drone I want to keep for a while, it is worth more money up front to get a better product. Also, as a side note, I also own a Mini 3 Pro and would take it over the Air2S any day. I like the look oof the images I am getting out of it and it looks better than the air2S to me personally.
Are you using the 48MP setting in your Mini 3? If I buy one, will I ever fly my Air 2s again? I planned to keep my Mavic 2 Pro after buying the Air 2s, but was never flying it, so I sold it. I have never missed it. Will I be in the same situation with the Mini 3?
Thanks!

I have an Air 2s and Mini 2. I'm thinking about upgrading the Mini 2 to a Mini 3. Based on your observations about the cameras, I'm curious about the 48MP deal - do you use that mode or just leave it at 12MP? I've seen comparisons of the 48MP vs. A2s 20MP. A2s wins every time, in my opinion. So, is there any benefit to using the 48MP mode?
I think the main advantage is for computational photography. For example, my smartphone, a Pixel 6 Pro has a 50 mpixel main camera, but I can't save a full resolution picture. Every picture is saved at 12 mp resolution. Given the level of detail in that size, who cares?

Are you using the 48MP setting in your Mini 3? If I buy one, will I ever fly my Air 2s again? I planned to keep my Mavic 2 Pro after buying the Air 2s, but was never flying it, so I sold it. I have never missed it. Will I be in the same situation with the Mini 3?
Thanks!
Re: 48mp...I do use it, not all the time. Its good, but very much limited by the resolution of the lens. Better than the Air2S, but not enough to drive the deal alone. It's better, just not better enough. If I had to own only one drone and was funds-limited, the Mini 3 would be it.

I fly the Mini 3 about 3X more often than the Air 2S, and if it came to taking just one drone with me anywhere, the Mini 3 would win. But it doesn't do everything. The limited Active Track speed and, well, tracking in general is a problem for me as my main sport is waterskiing. You can't track a slalom skier with the Mini 3, not even close, or really, any other serious towed sport. The Air 2S does most of that just fine. So, there are shots I just can't get with the Mini 3. The two are not identical, and each fills a specific need, but my needs are fairly specific, a more general user may never notice much difference, other than the Mini 3 and RC is a genuine joy.

However, and if I've already said this I appologize, I'm likely upgrading to the Mavic 3 and selling the Air 2S because of the telephoto lens on the Mavic 3. That is something that neither Mini 3 or Air 2S can match, the digital zoom functions are pictoral crap. And getting a close tight shot from the air is in fact a capability I will use.

If Europe is part of the equation, then battery life isn't a factor between the air 2s and the mini 3 pro.

Once you put the extended battery in, you're no longer 249g or less, and it's the take off weight that counts.

For me, the Air 2s mainly just has the advantage of doing 10bit dlog/HLG. But if you won't be doing extensive color grading in something like DaVinci Resolve or premiere, then the mini 3 pro with 10bit cinelike-d would suffice.

However, and if I've already said this I appologize, I'm likely upgrading to the Mavic 3 and selling the Air 2S because of the telephoto lens on the Mavic 3. That is something that neither Mini 3 or Air 2S can match, the digital zoom functions are pictoral crap. And getting a close tight shot from the air is in fact a capability I will use.
The zoom lens on that was a deal breaker for me considering it's 3x the cost of the air 2s.

The sensor the 7x zoom uses is no better than the sensor on the mini 2. Depending on what you're shooting you're likely to get a better image cropped from either the Mavic 3s much larger micro 4/3 sensor or the air 2s 1" sensor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7