DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First drone

KC2LLW

Reactions
Hello,
I am looking to purchase my first drone and need some help to decide. I will be mainly flying the drone on and around my 50 acre farm in Bethel NY. I really like the Air 2 but $800 is a lot to spend, would I be okay with the Mini? I am worried the Mini is to small to be stable in windy conditions and will not have the range as I here it works on WiFi and can be inter feared with easily.I know the Air 2 has a better system for longer range On board 8GB storage and a better camera. I understand why its twice the price of the Mini. I am not a photographer and just want to film my farm property. I just don‘t want to buy a drone and then wish I bought a better model.
Thanks,
Steve

To keep the cost down, have a look at the Mavic Pro Platinum or the Mavic Pro as well, both have great range and the reliable Ocusync transmission system,
Also in my IMHO, DJI Go4 is much better flight app than the DJI fly that the MA2 uses (which only works on 64bit devices)

For example

Last edited:
First ask yourself how you want to use your new tool, as it is technically a tool, not a toy. Which ways do you see yourself using your tool and how it can benefit you, by means of photography or just fun and amusement. I was in the very same boat as you a few months ago and also had the very same questions. Thinking that only an idiot would spend $400.00, $800.00 and up on a drone and that after time I would have another expensive hobby sitting collecting dust. Wasn't even sure if I wanted a DJI product and just totally lost, watching every video I could find, learn as much as I could and did this for over 6 months. Finally I just gave in as in my heart I truly wanted one. From what I watched it looked like DJI could do everything I wanted and everything I needed in a drone. So I bought a MA2 with the Fly More Combo and it is everything and much more than I expected, by far. It is just a heck of fun to fly and the videos and photographs are outstanding.
Only you can answer your question and all we can do is share our story with you. But no matter which you pick, either the Mini or the MA2. You are going to be one smiling little kid at heart for a very long time. That I can absolutely guarantee. Thumbswayup ? Thumbswayup

Thanks for the replies so far. I have watched days of you tube videos ( Captain drone Idaho drone etc...) and have watched Air 2’s fly out to over 20,000 ft it perfect conditions and have seen Mini’s go out to 10,000 ft. I guess I am struggling with if it’s worth putting a $1000 in the hobby or getting by with $500. Like I said I’m not a professional photographer but would like to capture nice pictures and video. I doubt I would ever fly out over a mile away but would be nice to know I could,. I also would like to fly at night.
Thanks again,
Steve

To keep the cost down, have a look at the Mavic Pro Platinum or the Mavic Pro as well, both have great range and the reliable Ocusync transmission system,
Also in my IMHO, DJI Go4 is much better flight app than the DJI fly that the MA2 uses (which only works on 64bit devices)

For example

I agree Iannes .....the Platinum would not disappoint Steve .He would regret anything less and as Steve likely has the money, he should get one, take the plunge (metaphorically LOL), take it slow and easy in his own private playground. I note that Steve is a 58yo and life is too short for such indecision on a no brainer.
There you are Steve...we have decided for you!
Safe Flying the Platinum mate....from Down under x2.

Thanks for the advice guys. My farm is about 50% pastures and 50% woods so I do have a few large fields to train in. I think I am leaning towards the Air 2 combo package. I have looked on eBay at used drones but feel there is to much unknown on buying used. I am the kinda guy who keeps things for a long time and takes care of things. For example I still have my 54 Willys Jeep and 48 Farmall cub that my dad gave me. My truck is a 2001 7.3 with 115,000 miles on it so if I get the Air 2 I plan on keeping it for awhile lol.
Thanks all! I will let you know when I make the plunge.
Steve

I think I am leaning towards the Air 2 combo package.
Many people complain they have no place to fly, so a Mini may be right for them. With your 50 acres, the MA2 would be the right choice. Just skip the whole “I bought a Mini, and now I’m yearning for the next best thing” phase. You’ve stated not being a photographer, yet you will be with either of these Mavics. Recommendations for the older MP and MPP aren’t bad choices either, but for the money...a brand new MA2 Fly More Combo will make you pretty happy.

Welcome to the forum, from Chicago the Windy City.
Each persons aptitude is different, if you have a natural ability to finish what you start.
Speaking for my self, never have flown a drone before. That was four years ago, started out with a small drone,
progressed to a larger drone. Took classes about drones to understand principles of how they work. Passed the course, and now own two Mavic Pros, and love them. And, now studying to get commercial pilots license,
so far not doing well answering questions for the test. Each one of us is different, so only you can answer the question, about which drone to buy. One good thing, you have plenty of space in open field to learn, how to fly, which was more difficult, living near a big City.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the advice guys. My farm is about 50% pastures and 50% woods so I do have a few large fields to train in. I think I am leaning towards the Air 2 combo package. I have looked on eBay at used drones but feel there is to much unknown on buying used. I am the kinda guy who keeps things for a long time and takes care of things. For example I still have my 54 Willys Jeep and 48 Farmall cub that my dad gave me. My truck is a 2001 7.3 with 115,000 miles on it so if I get the Air 2 I plan on keeping it for awhile lol.
Thanks all! I will let you know when I make the plunge.
Steve
Hey Steve if you go with the MA2 we have some in stock; DJI Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo It would be a quick, free, ship to Bethel (we’re located just North of Syracuse).
To protect your investment get a good case too! GPC DJI Mavic Air 2 Case

My vote would be for the MA2, that being said I have both the MM and the MA2 and enjoy flying both for different reasons and conditions. Also adding to the cost will be a phone or ipad so it can add up pretty quick. I'm in for over $2,000 and don't regret the investment at all now, at first not so much. But it was a learning curve on purchases with the iphone 6s plus which proved to be too small and replaced my outdated iphone 5s hand me down anyway to a ipad mini which is perfect. I fly only for fun and bought the MM first then kinda wished I bought a more expensive one. I changed my mind about the MM after buying the MA2 and in my case I'm very glad I made both purchases as I rotate the flying between the two for battery cool down when weather conditions allow for that. Also my thinking about the MM was that I could learn the basics with it and if I made a mistake it wouldn't be as costly. As everyone has stated personal choice. One thing to note about the MM is you must be mindful of antenna position for good reception. Not so much with the latter. The pictures are much better with the MA2 and it now has a digital zoom which I find amazing. Good luck with your choice.
P.S. If you have steady winds there (15 + avg) you might consider a larger more powerful drone. But be careful the larger the drone the more responsive and dangerous it can be. You may want to look into the refresh insurance if that's right for you. There is a very short time interval after purchase for that though. Also Combos add extra batteries and accessories as well. My opinions I've stated here is what I've experienced. It might not apply to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies. I keep learning more and more and watching tons of videos. I am still leaning towards the Air 2 but found out it will not do way points which I would like to do on the farm in about 6 location. so now I have to study more and do more comparisons.
thanks again for all the input.
Steve

My vote would be for the MA2, that being said I have both the MM and the MA2 and enjoy flying both for different reasons and conditions. Also adding to the cost will be a phone or ipad so it can add up pretty quick. I'm in for over $2,000 and don't regret the investment at all now, at first not so much. But it was a learning curve on purchases with the iphone 6s plus which proved to be too small and replaced my outdated iphone 5s hand me down anyway to a ipad mini which is perfect. I fly only for fun and bought the MM first then kinda wished I bought a more expensive one. I changed my mind about the MM after buying the MA2 and in my case I'm very glad I made both purchases as I rotate the flying between the two for battery cool down when weather conditions allow for that. Also my thinking about the MM was that I could learn the basics with it and if I made a mistake it wouldn't be as costly. As everyone has stated personal choice. One thing to note about the MM is you must be mindful of antenna position for good reception. Not so much with the latter. The pictures are much better with the MA2 and it now has a digital zoom which I find amazing. Good luck with your choice.
P.S. If you have steady winds there (15 + avg) you might consider a larger more powerful drone. But be careful the larger the drone the more responsive and dangerous it can be. You may want to look into the refresh insurance if that's right for you. There is a very short time interval after purchase for that though. Also Combos add extra batteries and accessories as well. My opinions I've stated here is what I've experienced. It might not apply to you.
Rchawks,
One good thing is I have an iPhone 7plus, a IPad mini and a brand new IPad so I’m good to go there I also have a MacBook Pro and a iMac but they are 2008 series’s

Reactions: Rchawks
Rchawks,
The more research I do I see there are antenna mods that can extend the MM range. Being a Ham radio operator, I do understand yagi antennas so it makes sense. I could start with the MM and if I'm happy and get the bug I could move up to the Air 2 or Pro as I did with Ham radio I started with a few $250 - $400 dollar VHF/UHF mobile rigs and went up to $1500 - $2000 HF base rigs. So many decisions, oh the stress of drone purchasing LOL!!!

oh man... you are gonna get bit by the modding bug i can tell. mavic mini does 2.7k as opposed to 4k video, so your 2008 era macbooks will thank you for that.
however that signal drop trying to punch through trees with 5.8ghz is going to make you tear your hair out though. mavic mini only does 5.8ghz with the american/china model MT1SS5. The rest of the world gets model MT1SD25 2.4ghz/5.8ghz but at a lower power (which you would just amplify).

as you know, 2.4ghz cuts through trees like butter compared to 5.8ghz. and occusync 2.4ghz is wonderful.
Mavic Pro Platinum or Mavic Air 2 gets my vote... then there's the other drone options that captain drone has reviewed.

Welcome from New Mexico (Although not really new, not really Mexico!) Being a noob myself I can only say you WILL make mistakes. I was lucky enough to score a used Mavic Pro for half the price of a new Mavic mini. My friend has a mini and likes it but they are squirrelier in wind than the Pro. I was lucky my mistake only cost me a couple of props and a little blood... but I did learn from my mistake. Good luck and like others said, trees and power line are not your friends.. and neither are spinning propellers! I would also suggest watching as many Youtube videos of the one you get and the DJI app. There is a wealth if information (and misinformation) but you can glean what you like and ignore what you don't.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toninhostark