DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight all went weird.

jweaver

Reactions
Other than a quick test flight in the garden, I havn't taken my Mini2 out in anger until today, where I got a few mins free to take it out for its first real flight.

And it all went pretty well.. I just spent the time building confidence and getting general experince.. And I had no problem at all until about 15 mins in, I was at about 30 feet, hovering 20 feet infront of me.. I tipped the gimble down just to get me in frame and snapped a few photos.

Then I pressed the 'function' button which made the gimble tip down, and I wondered whether it would go horizontal when I pressed it again or remember the angle it was at.

So I pressed it and it all went to ( Mod Removed Language). First I got an error about the gimble (didn't get chance to read what it said).. Then I got something aobut contacting DJI service.

Then the video went grey.. And I noticed all the icons were red.. So to me this means that the controller lost connection with the drone.. And then I think it came back and said that an autoland was in progress, which happened pretty quickly.

After landing and taking off for the rest of the battery, I had no similar issues, but its affected my faith in it a little..

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what happened?

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than a quick test flight in the garden, I havn't taken my Mini2 out in anger until today, where I got a few mins free to take it out for its first real flight.

And it all went pretty well.. I just spent the time building confidence and getting general experince.. And I had no problem at all until about 15 mins in, I was at about 30 feet, hovering 20 feet infront of me.. I tipped the gimble down just to get me in frame and snapped a few photos.

Then I pressed the 'function' button which made the gimble tip down, and I wondered whether it would go horizontal when I pressed it again or remember the angle it was at.

So I pressed it and it all went to hell.. First I got an error about the gimble (didn't get chance to read what it said).. Then I got something aobut contacting DJI service.

Then the video went grey.. And I noticed all the icons were red.. So to me this means that the controller lost connection with the drone.. And then I think it came back and said that an autoland was in progress, which happened pretty quickly.

After landing and taking off for the rest of the battery, I had no similar issues, but its affected my faith in it a little..

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what happened?

Jon
To me it kind of sounds like you an app crash, A simple restart should solve the issue , but i would be sure to make sure you have the latest app firmware.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Reactions: ehje
I can live with that.. but why RTH? I thought that only happened when the transmitter looses contact with the quad?

can you not still fly “manually” without a phone? Or have i misunderstood that?

No it will happen if your app crashed. You could have cancelled
the rth by hitting the rth button then flew it just by sight.
So yes you can fly without a device.

Cool.. I will bear it in mind if/when it happens again.. I can live with an app crash, its not the end of the world. But I didn't expect it to happen so soon as I thought/hoped the app was quite stable.

@jweaver the App crash can happen simply because your device is unable to process the Data Flow between the RC and the device ,the Actual link for control of the drone, and video /pics is between the RC and drone ,the RC then links to the device to display that info
the App itself uses a lot of the devices processor power to run when it is working ,and it can be overwhelmed by this and crash , also the cold can effect the devices battery ,and of course very hot weather can cause it to overheat as well and shut down

Try turning off the caching of videos on your phone - it will have less work to do then.

Try turning off the caching of videos on your phone - it will have less work to do then.
That has crossed my mind.. But I am nervous about not having a local copy of the photos/videos incase I ever loose the Mini2 in flight and want to refer back.. But then again, its not like I am recording all the time, so there is no guarnateee that I will ever record a 'crash' if it happens..

So I have have a play next time I am out.

As the mate said, the app uses the phone CPU very hardly. Honestly, I would not use my main phone to pilot the drone.I am using my old phone, reset and with installed only DJI Fly app. Till the moment, I never had any app crash and the phone is not soo powerfull. Many isntalled apps in the used phone could be the reasons for any kind of app crashes. So...use dedicated phone...

It turns out that after reviewing my flight (I didn't realise I could do that), there was an 11 second period where the controller lost contact with the Aircraft... So this does not appear to be an app issue at all.

It looks like there was a significant break in comms, which is odd as I was only 20 ft away..

So I just need to monitor this again.. And be reassured that nothing actually went wrong.. The Mini did what it was ment to do, and didn't crash.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka