DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight in MM resulted in three Motor Speed errors

Amorotor

Reactions
I was happy to get my MM in the air for it's first flight (I read the manual entirely and read a lot of forums on the MM before attempting the first flight) which is my first in a drone (flew RC helos)! I was dismayed that I got a "motor speed" error about 30 seconds into the first flight with the instruction to land and change the propellers! I did that on the lower left motor using the correct replacement blades and attempted to launch again. The drone lifted up off the pad and immediately slid left backwards and down into the grass (I was launching off of a helo pad) converting from a drone to a lawn mower (complete with cut grass stains on the main body) I quickly shut down and was shocked to see that the left rear motor was missing a propeller (which is why it settled to the left rear from loss of lift)! I must not have secured the screw as well as I should (the other propeller was fine). Out came another propeller set from the DJI Fly More package. This time the drone lifted to a hover then followed my flight commands before another "motor speed" error demanded a return to the shop for another set of propellers...this time it was the left forward set. I changed propellers and launched again... another motor speed error! This time it was the right rear motor. Another set of propellers changed! That was it...the fourth flgiht went smoothly with no more "motor speed" warnings. I came home and binged on forums for "motor speed" errors. I did all the firmware updates before the first flight (as prompted by the controller) so I am not sure if it was a software issue. I did see a Youtube video that suggested the problem came from improper storage of the propellers in the Fly More case (nice case). According to the label in the case, the propellers need to be stored in an "I" pattern directly across the body. I was storing them in the "X" pattern which apparently can cause the blade to warp out of shape and thus lead to a "motor speed" error. I have a new set of blades on order so I will be ready for my next outing...and I am carefully storing the blades in the "I" position now. I hope this fixes the problem!

Glad you got it sorted and didn't give up. FYI, DJI sells a nice prop holder for the mini that completely protects the bottom (rear) props when being stored and keep the top props secured against the body as well. IIRC, they are about $16. I got one for my mini, and was quite happy with it, and, I figured if I had any prop issues I could just tell DJI: "Well, I'm using your official prop holder/protector....." They are for sale at the DJI website, and Amazon too.

Reactions: ff22
Remember the screws are lock type screws so whenever you replace on screw, get rid of it and always use a brand new spare. If you got the fly more combo, you should have plenty spares.

Remember the screws are lock type screws so whenever you replace on screw, get rid of it and always use a brand new spare. If you got the fly more combo, you should have plenty spares.
Now that you mention it, I think I used the original screws vs. the new ones with the propeller set. If that was the cause of a lost blade then that explains it.

Glad you got it sorted and didn't give up. FYI, DJI sells a nice prop holder for the mini that completely protects the bottom (rear) props when being stored and keep the top props secured against the body as well. IIRC, they are about $16. I got one for my mini, and was quite happy with it, and, I figured if I had any prop issues I could just tell DJI: "Well, I'm using your official prop holder/protector....." They are for sale at the DJI website, and Amazon too.
I bought a set of those after I figured out that I may have caused the propellers to warp by storing them in the "X" position for a long period of time.

Reactions: Nonprophet
Link for the prop guards

Reactions: Nonprophet
Personally I do not like storing the drone with the blades pointing across the body, I think it bends the blades to do so.
I store my mini in the flymore case with the lower i.e. rear blades pointing inwards but forward under the gimbal with a foam peg inserted into the hollow by the gimbal cover's catch to stop the blade going to far across the body. The upper i.e. front blades pointing alone their arms towards the front end of the drone. I have a foam inserts glued to the case in two places to stop the blades swinging outward too far and place a removable foam insert on the drone's body to stop the blades swing inwards and being squashed by the bump in the case lid.
You can see this in the thread Flymore case/drone storage mods to safe guard props the orange tape on the gimbal cover is to stop me switching the drone on with the gimbal cover in place

Last edited by a moderator:
my MM also hv this motor speed error since latest firmware update. tomorrow will refer to Dji center where i purchase this MM and look what will they commend about this. hopefully nothing severe and can fly my MM without this error popup soon. when this error come out, my return home function was not available, is it same also with you guys?

Blue Painters tape to hold the blades across the body. Tape from the gimbal cover,over the blades and onto the mini body. The tape is reusable and comes off with the gimbal cover.

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu