DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight in Sport Mode

RobT

Reactions
Obtained my MPP in November and haven't flown as much as I would like as I have only logged just over 5 hours flight time. I am extremely cautious flyer and have greatly enhanced my knowledge through this forum.

Yesterday I bit the bullet and did a small test run in Sports Mode. Wow what a difference!!! Speed, stick sensitivity, etc all greatly enhanced.

After a couple of straight runs in sports which induced a massive spike in my heart rate I returned to P mode and landed.

While very exilerating I must admit it is something I wont be doing often. I can see why Sports Mode is the destroyer of drones

Sport mode is not the destroyer of drones, its the pilot! lol

Sport mode is good for what it is; for seasoned pilots who dont want/need the aid of the sensors, or for anyone flying at altitude. Just dont get too caught up in the moment, or your Mavic might wistfully end up in another county.

I have mentioned before that 75% of the repairs that arrive in my shop are in sport mode. Thats says something!

If you turn off Obstacle Advoidance you will get a max speed between P and S mode without the sensitive sticks you get in S mode.

Don't forget the pause button. It acts like an emergency brake and is the fastest way to stop.

Sport mode is good for what it is; for seasoned pilots who dont want/need the aid of the sensors, or for anyone flying at altitude. Just dont get too caught up in the moment, or your Mavic might wistfully end up in another county.

I have mentioned before that 75% of the repairs that arrive in my shop are in sport mode. Thats says something!
That tell you why I am scary to fly in sport mode... Lol

Asked before but never received comments.... Is the Mavic designed to be played with in Sports mode??... fast starts, stops and turns?? or are fast starts and stops hard on it? Is sports mode to be used to get there and back.... or for sport flying like racing?? Part of me thinks it is like squealing tires... (very stressful on the vehicle) but part of me thinks the toy is designed to be played with and the stress of fast starts and stops are well within its ability.

Asked before but never received comments.... Is the Mavic designed to be played with in Sports mode??... fast starts, stops and turns?? or are fast starts and stops hard on it? Is sports mode to be used to get there and back.... or for sport flying like racing?? Part of me thinks it is like squealing tires... (very stressful on the vehicle) but part of me thinks the toy is designed to be played with and the stress of fast starts and stops are well within its ability.

If we were talking about cars, you can drop the clutch on a Dodge Challenger Hemi and it will liquify the tires. You can drop the clutch on a Sentra and it will chirp. The Mavic is closer to the Sentra in terms of squealing the tires.

If you fly the Mavic like a toy, youre sooner or later going to destroy it. Not simply by crashing it, but harming precision parts. The gimbal is finely balanced to slowly offset changes in pitch roll and yaw. I sometimes see pilots flying their Mavics like a 3D RC plane. Thats not its mission.

While the Mavic is capable of high speed flight, everything gets compromised when you fly fast. Safety is reduced, and image quality is poor due to vibration.

I enjoy flying slowly. Life's too short to not stop and smell the roses.

Last edited:
While it is reasonable to assume that Sport mode adds stress to the airframe, I believe it is designed to handle it. We would be seeing failure posts if there were a weak point that Sport mode exposed. The majority of Sport mode crash posts I see are caused by the increased stopping and turning distances.

These are only 4 bags of the hundreds of gimbal motor assemblies I have replaced. All that has to happen is one of the motors gets stressed out, overheats, and then the whole motor assembly is toast. $100 plus repair. Gimbal motors will easily get stressed out by full speed braking and also rolling and yawing unnecessarily quickly.

Last edited:
If we were talking about cars, you can drop the clutch on a Dodge Challenger Hemi and it will liquify the tires. You can drop the clutch on a Sentra and it will chirp. The Mavic is closer to the Sentra in terms of squealing the tires.

If you fly the Mavic like a toy, youre sooner or later going to destroy it. Not simply by crashing it, but harming precision parts. The gimbal is finely balanced to slowly offset changes in pitch roll and yaw. I sometimes see pilots flying their Mavics like a 3D RC plane. Thats not its mission.

While the Mavic is capable of high speed flight, everything gets compromised when you fly fast. Safety is reduced, and image quality is poor due to vibration.

I enjoy flying slowly. Life's too short to not stop and smell the roses.

Thank you very much... Instinctively I thought that. I usually accelerate and slow down slowly always babying the thing as if it was a precision machine. Which it is... Thanks for the clarification..

Hi, is sports mode bad for the done can it be too hard on the motors?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
No different than mashing the gas pedal on you car. Doesn’t hurt it at all, but wear and tear is wear and tear.

Thanks, so is there a recommended amount of flight hours before you get your drone serviced? I'm living in Ireland and all I hear is horror stories about sending your drone of to the DJI repair shop in Europe.

Mine is new at the minute and I'm looking after it so hopefully, it won't be a problem for a while.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
The less dirt and dust you surround it with, the better.
The motor bearings are the parts that will present an issue at some point, but that is not something that I’ve even read that became an issue for anyone. If there is a time frame for that, I’ve not seen it. They are sealed bearings, so best to leave them alone. Props can fail also. Check them every flight just to be safe. When you find that they seem to be getting loose at the joints, pitch them. One bad prop can take out several hundred dollars worth of camera.

I love sports mode and love flicking between the two , find a good spot and let her loose i brought her to the hellfire club dublin mountains had no sd card in it but wanted to test it out as in how she handles the speed , really enjoyed it next time at the hellfire club i will just take photos of dublin city from the dublin mountainsScreenshot_20190328-184407_Google.jpegScreenshot_20190328-184507_Google.jpeg

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty