Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight MA2... short distance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 133794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133794

Hi all
Just returned from my first flight with my MA2, i think it went pretty well.
Just did some basic flying to get used to the controls at first as this is my first
drone. After a while i got a bit more adventurous and sent it out on a longer flight,
after about 479 metres at an altitude of 50 metres it said it had reached its maximum
distance. What could/would cause such a low distance, it slowed down in mid air stopped
and wouldn't go any further, so i turned it round and brought it back. i'm still getting used to
all the icons on the home screen but i think i had a very low gps signal. I was also using
my hotspot off my iphone to fly with a non cellular ipad, the signal on my iphone was low
as well,1 bar. Everything else seemed to be working fine though ie map on screen, return to
home ect. Can anyone please advise this novice. ? thank you.

Gary.

Hi all
Just returned from my first flight with my MA2, i think it went pretty well.
Just did some basic flying to get used to the controls at first as this is my first
drone. After a while i got a bit more adventurous and sent it out on a longer flight,
after about 479 metres at an altitude of 50 metres it said it had reached its maximum
distance. What could/would cause such a low distance, it slowed down in mid air stopped
and wouldn't go any further, so i turned it round and brought it back. i'm still getting used to
all the icons on the home screen but i think i had a very low gps signal. I was also using
my hotspot off my iphone to fly with a non cellular ipad, the signal on my iphone was low
as well,1 bar. Everything else seemed to be working fine though ie map on screen, return to
home ect. Can anyone please advise this novice. ? thank you.

Gary.
You dont need your phone as a hotspot to fly the MA2...no service required except to create a DJI account at setup, and also to do firmware updates. Also, the number of GPS satellites is visible on the screen at all times.

Did you check your setting in the DJI Fly app??? The max distance and RTH altitude are user settable. I would recheck all your settings after any firmware update. I have noticed these can change on occasion.

I guess I should ask the often asked "are you app, aircraft and batteries all up to date???"

Reactions: Hyghlander
After about 479 metres at an altitude of 50 metres it said it had reached its maximum
distance. What could/would cause such a low distance, it slowed down in mid air stopped and wouldn't go any further
Nothing in the information you've given explains this.
You'd have to post your flight data to see what it shows.

i think i had a very low gps signal. I was also using my hotspot off my iphone to fly with a non cellular ipad, the signal on my iphone was low as well,1 bar
You don't need internet data to fly - there's no need to hotspot.
GPS makes no difference to the distance either and it's unlikely that GPS signal was low if you were flying out in the open, but your flight data would show what it was.

Thank you all so much, yes it was set at 490 metres. i also didn't realise i don't
need to use hotspot. Should there be bars next to gps or just number showing
how many satellites there are. also my battery info is on the left of status bar
and everything i've watched its on the right.

i also didn't realise I don't need to use hotspot.

I'm glad you found the solution. These things are trickly little buggers with hidden menus and settings in unintuitive places. Have you turned captions on?

A lot of folks put their devices in airplane mode to turn everything else off while flying.

Thank you all so much, yes it was set at 490 metres. i also didn't realise i don't
need to use hotspot. Should there be bars next to gps or just number showing
how many satellites there are. also my battery info is on the left of status bar
and everything i've watched its on the right.
Shows the number of satellites...battery info is on right...newest version of FLy App has a more legible battery status still on the right...can you take a screenshot of your app main page and post it?

Or at the least, can you check the version of the Fly app you have installed?

On another note...I have learned so much about the MA2 and how to set it up and how it flys from YouTube...thousands of videos for users to peruse

Battery status on left. is this correct.

Attachments

• 119C2BF9-837C-4C0B-83D4-32CBD7D23ACA.png
    119C2BF9-837C-4C0B-83D4-32CBD7D23ACA.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
no i meant battery is on the left of that info bar ( which is on the right of the screen)
in the manual its in the far right of the info bar.
sorry if i'm not explaining it to well.

That's great, thanks for your help.... i'm such a novice ??

Did I answer the question for you..I was a bit confused as to where you were inquiring about.

Seriously though...there's so many great youtube MA2 videos on every topic possible...easier for me to learn by seeing and doing as opposed to RTFM

We all started in the same boat!

You did yes, thanks for all your help. I'll do as you've suggested and watch
loads of videos. Thanks again for all your advise especially on the max distance
setting, that had me thinking it was a signal based problem. ????

You did yes, thanks for all your help. I'll do as you've suggested and watch
loads of videos. Thanks again for all your advise especially on the max distance
setting, that had me thinking it was a signal based problem. ????
You're welcome...its a good idea to quickly go thru the settings as a pre-flight checklist, especially after an app update or firmware update. I have also found that its relatively easy for a finger to accidentally drag a slider or click a setting as you are perusing the options.

Happy flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580