DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight with my MPP, got questions

Macabre

Reactions
I actually never flew a drone before and my first try was quite frightening. But it went well. I got the feel for it and flew around although not too far (about 500m away and 120m up in the air).

1) I got the fly more pack and I must say, it's a must. But I want a 4th battery. The big charger supports 4 batteries. I however noticed that my controller had about 15% battery left when all my 3 Mavic batteries discharged (and I swapped them out at 25%). Is there a way to boost the battery on the controller? Without more battery on the controller, getting the 4th Mavic battery would be a waste. Is the controller maybe charging my phone while it's connected? Edit: it seems it does. How do I turn this off?

2) Are there any bigger Mavic Pro bags? The one that comes with fly more pack is fantastic, but it can barely fit everything, and if I get the 4th battery I will not have a place for it. And I'd like something to fit my DJI Goggles as well.

3) I'm unable to set head tracking. There is simply no option for head tracking in DJI Goggles (although it does have head tracking sensitivity option). I watched some YouTube videos but could not figure it out. I have the latest firmware on everything.

4) Compass calibration, where is it? Mavic never asked me to calibrate the compass and I'm unable to find that option.

This thing is a blast!
qnmnz.jpg

Welcome and Congratulations! The Mavic is a lot of fun.
For your questions:
1) The fly more kit includes a Mavic battery to USB adapter. You can use that to plug a mostly used Mavic battery or a USB battery pack into the side port of the RC while you use the RC USB plug to connect to your phone. People have tried various hacks to cut off the phone charging with mixed results.
2) There are many bags for the Mavic. Just do a search on this site and you will find many discussions complete with pictures.
3) Can't help, I don't have the goggles.
4) If Go 4 does not tell you calibration is needed then you can skip it. Compass calibration instructions start on pg 54 of the manual. There are also many videos on line that show this.

Read the manual and have fun!

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
Welcome and Congratulations! The Mavic is a lot of fun.
For your questions:
1) The fly more kit includes a Mavic battery to USB adapter. You can use that to plug a mostly used Mavic battery or a USB battery pack into the side port of the RC while you use the RC USB plug to connect to your phone. People have tried various hacks to cut off the phone charging with mixed results.
2) There are many bags for the Mavic. Just do a search on this site and you will find many discussions complete with pictures.
3) Can't help, I don't have the goggles.
4) If Go 4 does not tell you calibration is needed then you can skip it. Compass calibration instructions start on pg 54 of the manual. There are also many videos on line that show this.

Read the manual and have fun!

Thanks for taking the time. I did some reading and since my phone is rooted, I will try one of those apps that stop USB charging. It seems to be the easiest solution.
I will post the goggles question in the correct forum.

Today I almost learned the hard way not to mess with low battery.

I was about to land manually around 4 meter from RTH location (while in fact it it was about 16m, I think it miscalculated during RTH setup), but the Mavic suddenly initiated RTH and started ascending.

There was a single power line straight above it and I can tell you I almost pissed my pants but managed to avoid it.
Then it suddenly started flying past RTH location and away some 20 meters before I stopped it and flew it back manually.
Update: this is because of me. I pushed forward instead of up because I am still not experienced with the controls.

It was at about 18% battery. When I reviewed flight logs it initiated RTH because battery was only enough to get home. Which is weird as RTH spot was 16m from it.

Is this a bug or a normal safety procedure? I almost crashed it because of RTH option. I know there isn't, but I wish there was a way to turn RTH off completely.
I can imagine there are plenty of crashes because of it even though people just wanted to mess around with their drone in 5x5m radius.

..but the Mavic suddenly initiated RTH and started ascending...
Perhaps you did not notice but Go 4 gives a notice it is going to RTH with a 10 second count down. This notice has a cancel option in it. You can also cancel by pushing either the RTH or Pause button on the RC. I think switching in and out of Sport mode also cancels RTH.

Thanks for the input but I don't have the same issue as you.

I don't waste drone batteries to charge the controller. The controller is nearly drained after using 3 batteries because it's at the same time charging my phone.
I need to stop it from charging my phone before I can get the 4th battery.

Perhaps you did not notice but Go 4 gives a notice it is going to RTH with a 10 second count down. This notice has a cancel option in it. You can also cancel by pushing either the RTH or Pause button on the RC. I think switching in and out of Sport mode also cancels RTH.

I didn't see this happen though.

I actually like the fact that the phone gets a charge from the RC. I also have the platinum fly more combo. Somtimes when im done with 3 batteries the RC is still at 50%. Sometimes down to 40%. And my average flight per battery is around 19min down to around 20-30%.

Just try to start off with everything close to 100% charged.

I have a Note 8 and set the brightness to highest because I can't have it lower while I'm out in the sunny day.
Currently there's no way I can use 4th battery without finding a solution. Connecting a power bank is a possible solution but I would rather stop my phone from charging.

I have a Note 8 and set the brightness to highest because I can't have it lower while I'm out in the sunny day.
Currently there's no way I can use 4th battery without finding a solution. Connecting a power bank is a possible solution but I would rather stop my phone from charging.

I would hazard a guess that the note 8 is quite power hungry at full brightness! I also run full brightness. A power bank might then be your only solution.

The FMC set comes with a Mavic battery to USB adapter. After using the battery for flying there is enough power left to run the RC.

Reactions: tiparoch
BTW, as a follow up for the others. I did a little test today to confirm a hunch.

I brought the controller battery down to 50%, and my tablet down to 90%, so I knew the controller would be cannibalizing itself. I connected the two via the center controller USB port. I then started the bird and let it hover.

I then connected my Anker battery bank via the left controller port and stuck it in my pocket. I could easily see the controller battery was charging, and even under the load of itself and the tablet, quite rapidly. By the time I finished my first flight, the tablet was at 100% and the controller was at 60%. So there you go - Easy solution.

thanks for that test and sharing the info!

The FMC set comes with a Mavic battery to USB adapter. After using the battery for flying there is enough power left to run the RC.

Yeah, that is the way to go! the Mavic battery USB adapter is super handy especially when you are far away from a power source for a while.. A trip into the mountains....

Compass calibration.... I start a day of flying off with checking my compass and IMU status, even if I am not prompted for a calibration etc. Go to... 'Advanced' setting, then 'Sensor -state (I think). It is there...You should learn where to find it... Though I admit there are tabs and options that I still am not familiar with... The manual is of course very good, but for practical, in the field, real flight use...it is very good to know where to find things in the Go4 app. Especially when you need to find them. Quick.

As for RTH... as they said, there is a vocal and visual warning before.....Also...the Pause " button is very handy, especially with the Quick Mode options. Great way to get your machine to stop in its tracks.
Enjoy!

An RTH note: I believe that manual states that when you do an auto launch, the vehicle needs to ascend to 30ft or 30 meters (something like that) to give the GPS and bottom (optical/flow) sensors adequate time and height to properly calibrate your home position. Otherwise, you will only be within 10-30 feet of your home position on an RTH command. Make sure you check your RTH agl height in the RC Controller as well to insure you clear any vertical obstructions between the vehicle and it's home position. (I always tell my crews to follow the 3 golden rules before flying, 1. site survey, 2. site survey 3. site survey.)

It was completely my fault back then. I had little understanding how RTH works and it's a bit intimidating for a first time drone owner. Now I know how it works and love RTH function.

Reactions: Merestone
get away from android and get a ipad to stop the phone charging.

I actually never flew a drone before and my first try was quite frightening. But it went well. I got the feel for it and flew around although not too far (about 500m away and 120m up in the air).

1) I got the fly more pack and I must say, it's a must. But I want a 4th battery. The big charger supports 4 batteries. I however noticed that my controller had about 15% battery left when all my 3 Mavic batteries discharged (and I swapped them out at 25%). Is there a way to boost the battery on the controller? Without more battery on the controller, getting the 4th Mavic battery would be a waste. Is the controller maybe charging my phone while it's connected? Edit: it seems it does. How do I turn this off?

2) Are there any bigger Mavic Pro bags? The one that comes with fly more pack is fantastic, but it can barely fit everything, and if I get the 4th battery I will not have a place for it. And I'd like something to fit my DJI Goggles as well.

3) I'm unable to set head tracking. There is simply no option for head tracking in DJI Goggles (although it does have head tracking sensitivity option). I watched some YouTube videos but could not figure it out. I have the latest firmware on everything.

4) Compass calibration, where is it? Mavic never asked me to calibrate the compass and I'm unable to find that option.

This thing is a blast!
qnmnz.jpg
Stick with it! I crash pretty bad my first flight, but getting the hand of it more and more. You'll get great video!

Reactions: roadapple
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS