DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight

tmw2023

Reactions
So my Mavic arrived and after sending it up and down in my back garden I decided to take it down to the local recreation ground and give it a bit more air.

I'm a naturally cautious person so I started off in Tripod mode but that was just too slow so I turned that off. I was very concerned about going over 100ft trees and off into the distance. Yesterday I watched a video on YouTube where this guy sent his drone two miles out to sea in very windy conditions to film a cruise liner. I can't see me ever doing that.

What should I be doing with my Mavic to give me more confidence that it isn't going to drop out of the sky?

Reactions: adiru
I posted about buying mine about a week ago. I was definitely afraid because the day before mine arrived I lost a $250 Hubsan h501s in a fly away but I'm pretty sure it's because I got too close to a cell phone tower. I stayed in beginner mode which is a little faster than tripod mode. By the next day I was in sport mode and one or two days later I had taken off the 400 foot restriction and went out in the desert to go all the way to the top of it's service ceiling. I'm not brave enough to go over water yet. However your confidence will come quicker than you think.

So my Mavic arrived and after sending it up and down in my back garden I decided to take it down to the local recreation ground and give it a bit more air.

I'm a naturally cautious person so I started off in Tripod mode but that was just too slow so I turned that off. I was very concerned about going over 100ft trees and off into the distance. Yesterday I watched a video on YouTube where this guy sent his drone two miles out to sea in very windy conditions to film a cruise liner. I can't see me ever doing that.

What should I be doing with my Mavic to give me more confidence that it isn't going to drop out of the sky?

Personally I found even at the beginning, as a beginner, that beginner mode was actually (as counter intuitive as it may sound) making me more nervous as it gave a false sense of security/safety, and whenever you pushed up and the Mavic stops going, or you push forward and it stops responding to commands, that can be extremely confusing for a beginner since you don't really know for sure what is causing it. So the added false positives or false negatives and the extra layer of uncertainty doesn't help. Plus in beginner mode the sports mode switch is turned off, which means in a pinch it can't help revert to giving you back full control.

As counter intuitive as it may sound I typically only fly in sports mode now, especially during takeoff and landings, and especially when indoors. You may find, as I have, that the glitches in the obstacle avoidance are simply not worth the trouble, especially since it isn't 360 and only forward sensing, giving the pilot again a false sense of security and not to mention at the direct expense of sometimes causing more issues than it helps. For example indoors, many times obstacle avoidance thing will drift or otherwise move the Mavic around and almost caused me to crash into objects many many times due to flying in a close quarter space, in sports mode these annoyances are disabled.

After a while you get used to sports mode, it is more sensitive than normal mode, but if you input small thrusts in the sticks and immediately let it spring back, in tiny increments with practice you will soon find the Mavic to be extremely agile, maneuverable and able to sense tiny commands for movements in sports mode, to the point where it is more than sufficient finesse to navigate indoors, and extremely helpful during outdoor takeoff and landings (manual of course) as you don't have to worry about glitches caused by the OA or having to override the Mavic trying to outsmart you during a critical phase, and things of that nature.

crap video mainly livestream but that was just over 3 kilos over sea do a few test flights first to make sure the drone is all ok at least ten flights just to give you confidence the drone works as it should. Also while in a local park etc go out about 150 or 200 m and RTH it to check it works fine. After that find your spot try over a lake first but not to close to the water keep above 15m and fly over it a couple of times quickly then allow yourself to just spens more time over the water each time.

After that chocks awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I posted about buying mine about a week ago. I was definitely afraid because the day before mine arrived I lost a $250 Hubsan h501s in a fly away but I'm pretty sure it's because I got too close to a cell phone tower. I stayed in beginner mode which is a little faster than tripod mode. By the next day I was in sport mode and one or two days later I had taken off the 400 foot restriction and went out in the desert to go all the way to the top of it's service ceiling. I'm not brave enough to go over water yet. However your confidence will come quicker than you think.

I lost my Husban too same thing, **** drone that flys away at the very hint of any interference, Mavic is a whole new ball game. Don't let the Husban experience shy you away too much. Husbam was fine for some local park flying fun but is in no way a serious drone.

keep everything VLOS until u feel comfortable with it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom