DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini First Flights - first crash - no damage - and first video edit...

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Nothing spectacular, a bit of fun editing both mine and hubby's first flights on our DJI Mini3 Pro, one near miss for him - leaves trimmed - one proper crash for me, but no damage... Have a look at the video, edited with DaVinci Resolve, need to get to grips with it and using the smmart options on the Mini3, but thoroughly enjoyed flying it manually today...

Reactions: JimSteadman
@AlbionDrones first off my comments are not aimed at the video itself ,but are mainly about your choice of take off position close to trees and water,the Mini 3 does not have precision landing yet so this means it could miss the landing pad by as much as 6 to 8 ft in the event of a auto RTH ,also trees are possibly the number one enemy of drone flyers as is flying over water
i am saying these things not to put your efforts down ,but to help you enjoy the hobby more ,and to help your drone remain unscathed for many many flights

Thanks for the response, good advice from more experienced people is always welcomed.

I realised the spot wasn't ideal, our original plan was to use a playing field near home, but it was full of children, then we walked to another beach which is a lot more open and wider, but again kids were playing, so we took a walk along the ship canal for about a mile and a half and this was the best option we saw.

Totally understand we got lucky with not damaging the drone, we are planning to be a little more careful in future with choice of take off position..

@AlbionDrones ,thanks for your reply,and understanding of where my post was coming from
take care OMM

Reactions: Crash Gibby
Some good shots in your video. Always try to think of a video as a story. When you go out to fly, think about the story you want to tell with your shots. Let's say all you want to do is show the nice place you live and some of what makes it so nice. Good. So, shoot a wide shot of the town flying toward it, cut to a different shot, maybe straight down looking at the river, then cut to another shot, maybe flying lower over the river. etc. Keep your shots smooth, no quick, jerky movement then edit only the good parts together. Keep it a reasonable length, especially to share with others, like us on this forum. If you went somewhere really exotic or exciting, you can always edit a long version to enjoy on your own time during "home movie night." But do a short version, like 2 to 4 minutes to share publicly. Music is VERY important. It sets the mood. The opening soundtrack with the "countdown," from the 1960's ITV show The Thunderbirds, was cute but after the Thunderbirds part, get out of it and on to something more fitting for your story unless your video story is funny or silly. Just a few thoughts from a long time video professional turned drone pilot. Have fun and keep flying.

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Some good shots in your video. Always try to think of a video as a story. When you go out to fly, think about the story you want to tell with your shots. Let's say all you want to do is show the nice place you live and some of what makes it so nice. Good. So, shoot a wide shot of the town flying toward it, cut to a different shot, maybe straight down looking at the river, then cut to another shot, maybe flying lower over the river. etc. Keep your shots smooth, no quick, jerky movement then edit only the good parts together. Keep it a reasonable length, especially to share with others, like us on this forum. If you went somewhere really exotic or exciting, you can always edit a long version to enjoy on your own time during "home movie night." But do a short version, like 2 to 4 minutes to share publicly. Music is VERY important. It sets the mood. The opening soundtrack with the "countdown," from the 1960's ITV show The Thunderbirds, was cute but after the Thunderbirds part, get out of it and on to something more fitting for your story unless your video story is funny or silly. Just a few thoughts from a long time video professional turned drone pilot. Have fun and keep flying.
Thanks Dave, literally the first video I have edited using DaVinci, and I just wanted to put something together that showed the first flights, perhaps not the best story, nor the best clips - I chose hubby's flight which was a bit jerky as I wanted to include something by us both - but do hear what you are saying... Have found a few places to get some music from thats royalty free, and am considering the story we want to tell, so hopefully our focus and editing skills will improve with time.
Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated..

Thanks Dave, literally the first video I have edited using DaVinci, and I just wanted to put something together that showed the first flights, perhaps not the best story, nor the best clips - I chose hubby's flight which was a bit jerky as I wanted to include something by us both - but do hear what you are saying... Have found a few places to get some music from thats royalty free, and am considering the story we want to tell, so hopefully our focus and editing skills will improve with time.
Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated..
I like to see people's work get better over time because then even you will enjoy it more and, like anything, the more you fly and edit, the better you'll get at it. DaVinci is excellent. The more you work with that, the more amazed you'll become at what it can do. Yeah, just keep at it. Good luck. Post often on the forum. You'll learn plenty from the great folks who contribute here.

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Thanks... Been out this morning at 630am, mist above the harvest fields was too good to miss... Another edit, perhaps a little long, but relaxing music... Need to look at editing skills, although getting better with DaVinci...
Thanks for the encouragement

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929