DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Limited Range Test with Master Airscrew props

livinginsin

Reactions
For your bemusement, we present our first limited range test with the Master Airscrew props, and showcasing how much Las Vegas is growing. Oh, and yes, we lost connectivity during the flight and nearly pooed our pants!

Reactions: Mangaliso
Mavic Airs frequently elicit the same reaction from me when they lose connection. However, my reaction is more "fluid."
Have you ever had to allow the drone to come back RTH without the controller? I don't think I could survive the wait and would be 'leaking' everywhere.

Have you ever had to allow the drone to come back RTH without the controller?

Ir really depends on how far out the Air has gone. In my neck of the suburban woods, 1200' and my signal is lost, so I limit my flights to 1000' out. Yes, it happens more times than I care to remember. What usually happens is that as soon as it gets back into range, the controller will pick it up again and then I can land safely. Im usually short 1 pint of fluid by then.

I don't think I could survive the wait and would be 'leaking' everywhere.

With DJI products, I have found it best to wear a diaper. Fewer soiled jeans that way.

I’ve had mine lose signal while flying over the Thames, felt like hours while I waited but in reality the handset started to receive video after at most two minutes, I was then able to fly safely back and then clean up my mess!

I’ve had mine lose signal while flying over the Thames, felt like hours while I waited but in reality the handset started to receive video after at most two minutes, I was then able to fly safely back and then clean up my mess!

Last signal with mine yesterday at about 1,500' I could see the video starting to break up, so was turning towards home, but lost signal before I could get it back close enough. It's a relief though when the video comes back and you can see it coming home in the right direction.

Those few seconds from it losing connection, to initiating RTH are nerve wracking for sure though!!

Last signal with mine yesterday at about 1,500' I could see the video starting to break up, so was turning towards home, but lost signal before I could get it back close enough. It's a relief though when the video comes back and you can see it coming home in the right direction.

Those few seconds from it losing connection, to initiating RTH are nerve wracking for sure though!!

This all reinforces my thoughts of having a tracking device on drones, in the unlikely event an owner has RTH set to hover...

Reactions: BearMan54
Or one can, and should, include a RTH settings check to their preflight check list. I never take off without reviewing the RTH settings, and adjusting parameters as needed depending on location.

Or one can, and should, include a RTH settings check to their preflight check list. I never take off without reviewing the RTH settings, and adjusting parameters as needed depending on location.

Good advice. I recommend a tracking device just in case your drone doesnt R when or where it should.

In all honesty, my connection issues were device related. The application crashed on the phone, albeit I did keep getting the 'connection weak' messages as well. I'm not too thrilled using a phone as the display device. Anyone using a larger iPad?...or even VR? I love watching the post flying video on my big monitor, but when I'm flying it's like looking through a very small pinhole when I'm looking at the phone. Thoughts?

This all reinforces my thoughts of having a tracking device on drones, in the unlikely event an owner has RTH set to hover...
And even if it is set to hover, you can usually move in the direction of the drone (unless you're at the shore line), and/or aim the antennas more precisely to the LOS. Of course, if it's set to LAND, you're out of luck.