DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Prop Replacement

iansmith

Reactions
Well, after a little under a month I've finally wrecked bad enough to have to replace one of my prop blades.

I didn't realize they came in pairs! I put the wrong on on at first and was confused why it didn't look right.

I tried to land it on a small pile of cinder blocks but it was windy and it blew off to one side and a prop clipped the corner. Luckily the drone only fell about a foot.

Fun, I am almost sad I didn't wreck it completely which would have "forced" me to get one of the new Mavic 3 drones as a replacement.

Maybe next time... :D

MavicMini2-PropDamage.jpg

its always better to replace both props on any given motor so the balance between them is maintained

Also, when you replace the props make sure that the screws are tightened down to the extent that they have NO wobble at the base. If they are the least bit loose it reduces the precision of handling. This wobble is something you should check from time to time and is the first thing to indicate prop replacement other than damage.

Wasn't aware of that. Are they matched sets? I assumed they were all identical.
Not matched sets in the most technical sense. But what you don't want is any variation on spinning blades attached to the same motor. Replacing both blades at the same time almost insures that. If you only do one from a set the other older blade might have some wear or difference in the leading edge, which would be enough of a difference to create difficulties. Mini 2's are funky in terms of precision handling, so I think it is in the best interest to reduce as many variables as possible. Also I have found that recalibrating the IMU from time to time helps with precision.

you will notice that the blades will both have similar mold numbers stamped in them and as @vindibona1 said, the one blade you dont change will have some wear as well even if it looks ok,
trying to save some money when it comes to props is not really a good idea ,they along with the batteries are one of the most critical components for keeping the drone in the air

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000