DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Run in with local police

Cpbock

Reactions
My wife had become quite tired of heavy equipment noises coming from an adjacent property and insisted I fly my drone over to see what Was happening. When I brought it back a saw a picture of a man with a phone looking up. Sure enough an hour later police with backup are at my door. Told the guy the truth that I had flown over the adjacent property. He told me I was not allowed to fly over other peoples property. Thankfully I was confident enough to share with him the rules and his partner thankfully agreed. My wife feels bad and we had a laugh. Now how to repair relations s with the neighbor?

First off WELL DONE on knowing the rules and being courteous enough to share and educate.

I'd approach the neighbor, show them the drone, what it can do, and offer to share the experience (let them watch/view ) a few times. Let them know you're not PEEPING but had a genuine concern about the sounds/noise. Worse care buy him a nice bottle of bourbon as a peace offering.

It's always good to know the rules and how to articulate them to those who don't

First off WELL DONE on knowing the rules and being courteous enough to share and educate.

I'd approach the neighbor, show them the drone, what it can do, and offer to share the experience (let them watch/view ) a few times. Let them know you're not PEEPING but had a genuine concern about the sounds/noise. Worse care buy him a nice bottle of bourbon as a peace offering.
Bourbon?

Yes, I know that. Haven't seen anyone drink it for 60yrs. (but maybe I'm just out of touch)
Poll: How many drone pilots drink bourbon after a hard day's flying?

My wife had become quite tired of heavy equipment noises coming from an adjacent property and insisted I fly my drone over to see what Was happening. When I brought it back a saw a picture of a man with a phone looking up. Sure enough an hour later police with backup are at my door. Told the guy the truth that I had flown over the adjacent property. He told me I was not allowed to fly over other peoples property. Thankfully I was confident enough to share with him the rules and his partner thankfully agreed. My wife feels bad and we had a laugh. Now how to repair relations s with the neighbor?

Did you discover the cause of the heavy equipment noises?

That is a great story. I am very new to this kind of flying. While I'm comfortable with airspace rules, altitude limits, safety protocols etc, I'd be interested in the gist of how you described it to the police officer - it's always good to have the benefit of someone's positive experience in a circumstance like yours. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Yes, I know that. Haven't seen anyone drink it for 60yrs. (but maybe I'm just out of touch)

No offense (and sorry for the derailment on the OT) but bourbon is a huge trend right now. With many "Bourbon Only" bars all across the US and the world.

Here's an out take from an article about it
"Bourbon, the distinctly American corn-based whiskey, is on the rise.

Through a combination of the growing craft spirits category, savvy marketing, the cocktail culture sweeping the nation’s nightlife scene, and a rise in interest from Millennials and women, bourbon is one of the fastest-growing categories in the beverage alcohol world......"
(click link below for the full article)

There's the rules by the FAA. Then your insurance company. The FAA says you can, but your insurance company says you can't.

Now it's down to the mouse under the house telling who gets to fly their drone.

Wow.

There's a nice little distillery up in Prescott, Arizona, "Thumb Butte Distilling." They make a nice "Bloody Basin Bourbon," and a better "Rodeo Rye."

I pick up a bottle of each when we pass through there.

Reactions: Thomas B and Chip
That is a great story. I am very new to this kind of flying. While I'm comfortable with airspace rules, altitude limits, safety protocols etc, I'd be interested in the gist of how you described it to the police officer - it's always good to have the benefit of someone's positive experience in a circumstance like yours. Thanks in advance for any insights.
To be frank it was difficult at first as the lead LEO was insistent he knew the FDA rules. I remained courteous and offered to show him the light map of open and restricted airspace and reiterated that the FAA controls all air space above ground level. That was when he asked his partner whom thankfully agreed with me. It does highlight that this is still generally unsettled for most people. The key for me is to always be respectful and find common areas of agreement like peeking in windows or hanging out over backyard pools is just plain creepy. I assured him that this was not my interest and that my concern is not losing my drone in the first place by flying it close to structures or low in yards. Most of my videos and pictures are landscape and sunsets.

Reactions: byinesm and Bop
To be frank it was difficult at first as the lead LEO was insistent he knew the FDA rules. I remained courteous and offered to show him the light map of open and restricted airspace and reiterated that the FAA controls all air space above ground level. That was when he asked his partner whom thankfully agreed with me. It does highlight that this is still generally unsettled for most people. The key for me is to always be respectful and find common areas of agreement like peeking in windows or hanging out over backyard pools is just plain creepy. I assured him that this was not my interest and that my concern is not losing my drone in the first place by flying it close to structures or low in yards. Most of my videos and pictures are landscape and sunsets.

He probably does know many FDA rules! :)

Thank you for the detail. As you note, being respectful and seeking areas of agreement are always prudent courses of action. I'm glad one of the officers agreed with you, it might have gotten sticky had that not happened. I will file away your explanation in the unlikely event I need it someday - like you, I intend most all of my drone flying to be in pretty wide open spaces.
I hope you can repair things with your neighbor. Cheers.

Reactions: WoodstockNick
It's always good to know the rules and how to articulate them to those who don't

I think the OP did a good job, starting off by telling the truth. I would like to think that cops tend to be less harsh when they don't have to deal with BS.

I keep a printed set of pertainent rules and regulations printed and with me at all times when I fly. As in the OP's example, the first cop came at him as if HE knew the rules which had to be explained to him by the pilot. Mercifully, to date, I have not in my short flying time been confronted, except in one case where I had written permission to fly over private property. The written permission dismissed the incident without even taking both hands off the controls. There are a number of printed tools that one might keep on hand, in my case, including statements by the FAA as to their jurisdiction, the state ordinance declaring the state had sole authority to regulate UAV's as well as written permission from land owners or management. I have great respect for law enforcement, especially today when they have to second guess everything they do, so my goal is to make it easy to challenge misinformation in as non-confrontational manner as possible.

Reactions: WahooBadger
Did you discover the cause of the heavy equipment noises?

I am the same. What happened with the heavy equipment noises? LOLL we want to know.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I'm not FAA certified or anything so I'm just wondering what exactly are the "rules?"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98