DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First run in with the police.

Iamflatt

Reactions
As a responsible drone pilot, I checked with all local and federal laws prior to taking flight. While In flight a local police officer took it upon himself to make the decision that I was to close to the airport. I tried to explain that I was below the altitude limit....way below and that the drone software warns you when your within the restricted air space. He choose to "call the faa" himself and then proceeded to ask me if we were located north or south of the airport!!! "What your sure I'm doing something wrong yet you don't know Where we are!!????" He then proceeded to ask me what my gps showed our location as. I explained the software warnings yet again and he chose to not listen. I then just said "I'm just going to go home." His response "yeah take your toy and go home." With that I explained to him that I had been respectful of his position and authority and he was being disrespectful and that I didn't deserve to be disrespected. He proceeded to get out of his car to attempt to intimidate me. With that I just packed up (under his attentive and watchful eye) and left for home. Ignorance is bless.

Last edited:
OK sorry guys but I have removed all your post as this went south fast.
We shall start over and Please no more LE bashing .
lamflatt you join and your first post just have riled the guys up .
Some were very Inappropriate and have issued warnings .
So lets just start over and remember..

unnamed (2).jpg

OK sorry guys but I have removed all your post as this went south fast.
We shall start over and Please no more LE bashing .
lamflatt you join and your first post just have riled the guys up .
Some were very Inappropriate and have issued warnings .
So lets just start over and remember..

View attachment 17266

[emoji1474]

Reactions: dirkclod
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I'm friends with many in law enforcement and I frequently use my Mavic to assist with physical security sweeps, but mostly fly for fun.

Police are not any different than anyone else you could meet personality-wise. Maybe I've been lucky, but the fearful folks watching me fly can usually be overcome by involvement. "You really should see the sunset from up there. It's breathtaking." And then show them what you're filming.

Share the passion with them. Ask the policeman if his department has considered or has already purchased a drone for search and rescue. Break the negativity that's derived from fear and replace it with the sense of joy and possibilities we see in the drone community.

Good luck with your next encounter. I hope the person you meet is more respectful.

Reactions: mblumewi
Whew. Sounds like a rough encounter. Do you think someone called the police on you or did he just happen to see you flying? You should try to fly from areas that protect you from public view. Worse encounters come from people who think they know the law and try enforcing made up laws without authority to do so. I'll drive and scout a location that I want to film and then try to find a remote area to launch the Mavic. I flew another drone years ago and watched as some guy was driving around trying to find me. Lol.

People were curious and excited when this technology was new. Now there's all kinds of negativity associated with flying a drone.

You can be perfectly legal have people calling the police saying that you are doing something illegal. That's one reason why I like the range of DJI's aircraft.

Reactions: Budmancan
I second what Cyber said, get his name, badge number, shift commander and any other info then report him. My guess is he was probably cranky because he missed the Red Light on the Krispy Creme and was taking it out on you... :)

Fortunately, or not, most of these laws are relatively new as a result of new sUAV interest. LE have been dealing with murders, rapes, robbers, thieves, traffic violators, etc for a long time. Most LE organizations do not include training in UAV issues so officers try to employ common sense when faced with those situations. The day will come when LE are really trained on the issue. When that day comes, flyers will face scrutiny and be subject to the smallest of violations. This environment will linger until LE decides at what point to take discretionary enforcement.

Think of speeding in a car. 31 in a 30 is a violation. Are you gonna get cited? Probably not. Are you gonna get cited for 50 in a 30? Probably so. What speed will invoke a ticket will vary between officers. In the years to come, I think training and laws will make it most difficult to fly without committing SOME infraction but what will be treated as discretionary is yet to be seen.

I second what Cyber said, get his name, badge number, shift commander and any other info then report him. My guess is he was probably cranky because he missed the Red Light on the Krispy Creme and was taking it out on you... :)
I think he's abusing his position flashing his badge around.

I think he's abusing his position flashing his badge around.

I was a bit of an activist when I was younger. I'm much better behaved these days but still have little tolerance for officers overstepping their authority.

Mavic is cool for this scenario as djigo4 records audio and it takes little work to record video of the incident. The ability to post to YouTube is one of the most powerful tools citizens possess.

I work in the emergency services and am not anti police but have no problem standing up for my rights.

Michigan is a great state because we have drone preemption which prevents local municipalities, including parks, from making any rules regarding drones.

I've had two encounters... one with a LEO who just wanted to learn and the other from a Park Ranger who asked for some footage of an aging sea wall he wants the county to repair. Both were amicable, but I do tend to cringe when "the man" comes by. Respect should beget respect, but it often doesn't. Good on you to point out that you were trying to be respectful.

Reactions: Lapeer20m
I've been Asked to Leave a couple of places by HO's (Home Owners). I'm sure LE has the same problem as HO's, and trying to Educate them can be a loosing battle. (I'll pack up and Go asap.) So many people are Freaked about you flying over their property and have no idea of what the law is. It might be worth out time to put together some information concerning what the laws say and offer to give it to the person (interested or not). I've heard more than one person make the comment "I'll Shoot It Down" which can lead to an interesting conversation. Try to not get Excited or Raise your voice when being confronted.

I shared a picnic table with three Pennsylvania State Troopers who were having lunch at a roadside chicken BBQ stand. They asked what I was doing today. I told them I was doing aerial photography at a local dam. I did not want to mention the word drone because I didn’t know what their reaction would be. Arial photography sounds less intimidating too me. They then asked do I use a drone for that. I thought oh no here we go... We spent the next 20 minuted having a great discussion about what kind of drone do I have. Do I need a license? I said not for recreational use but I do have to follow FAA guidelines and explained what the basic guidelines are. The troopers thought the drones were great and felt a drone would be a great benefit to their law enforcement efforts. Needless to say I hope I helped inform them a little and if they came upon a fellow drone flyer in the future it would be a positive interaction.

Last edited:
I was watching Live_PD on tv the other day. I think it was in SC and they were looking for a guy and they brought out an Inspire and started flying it. It was cool.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123