DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time drone flyer. Mavic Pro on the way. Any advice?

hassanchop

Reactions
Hello!

I am super excited about the Mavic Pro. The reason I got this is because I want to take some great video of the family and the beaches we will be at. I should be getting it today and then shortly taking it to the beach (secluded without many people).

I have heard suggestions on insuring it which I plan to do.
I've watched a few tutorials on the Mavic Pro online.
When I get it I plan on taking it a open field and practicing.
To start I'm planning on using the flight modes such as follow and trace and try to keep it simple.

Are there any tips or recommendations for someone who is new to drones...and the Mavic Pro.

Thanks

Hello!

I am super excited about the Mavic Pro. The reason I got this is because I want to take some great video of the family and the beaches we will be at. I should be getting it today and then shortly taking it to the beach (secluded without many people).

To start I'm planning on using the flight modes such as follow and trace and try to keep it simple.

Are there any tips or recommendations for someone who is new to drones...and the Mavic Pro.

Thanks
Howdy from Wyoming hassanchop, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Read this forum, watch YouTube videos

Be aware that updates have issues this includes MP FW, app updates and if applicable IOS updates.

Treat it like your first girlfriend, steady at first until you can take it to the max, if your not sure then land and evaluate.

And check out this excellent page by MSinger
DJI Mavic Accessories & Tips - Mavic Help

Some suggestions (not all inclusive of everything you should do, but some important ones)...
  • Read the manual (the pdf).
  • Read the DJI Go 4 app manual (online link here)
  • Learn to set your RTH (return to home) altitude and set it before your flight.
  • Check for No Fly Zones with DJI Fly Safe map or an app like UAV Forecast.
  • Keep it in line of sight.
  • Have fun.

Reactions: jorn
Buy ND filters. They are really important for recording scenes the straight up camera wouldn't pick up. They will make your scenes like recording sunsets look a lot better. Also, extra props are really important, in case you accidentally fly it into a branch and they get chipped. Don't start with the Intelligent flight modes at first, sort of get a feel for the controls and camera settings.

Hello!

Thanks

Did you... RTFM? :D

I agree with the tips already given. I will add that you set it up at home with a good internet connection. Unless things have changed, you will need to log into DJI to register and an update may be required. Then confirm that at least the video feed works with a short flight. The test flight can be just straight up, spin around, and straight down to land; that would be enough to test the video feed. The reason for this is some combinations of Go 4 and the phone/tablet OS have not played well together and you might have to downgrade to another version of Go 4.

For the beach, I would take/make/buy a landing pad. You don't want sand to get kicked up into things. You can use your car floor mat if it is convenient. Once you get more experienced (and less terrified) you can hand launch/land.

Oh, and have fun!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929