DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time Mavic Pro

Doubletop

Reactions
Sitting on key waiting for sunset at Key West I watched a drone making passes it then wizzed off out to sea and out of sight, I thought oh dear he’s lost that one. A few minutes later I saw it heading back towards the operator who stood up and took it in his hand. Impressed by this I went to speak to him, turns out it was a Mavic Pro (not 2) I’ve never owned a drone but picking up a Mavic Pro this weekend on my return to UK.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Pro when it arrives, fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: Doubletop
Sitting on key waiting for sunset at Key West I watched a drone making passes it then wizzed off out to sea and out of sight, I thought oh dear he’s lost that one. A few minutes later I saw it heading back towards the operator who stood up and took it in his hand. Impressed by this I went to speak to him, turns out it was a Mavic Pro (not 2) I’ve never owned a drone but picking up a Mavic Pro this weekend on my return to UK.
So now you behave like a newborn or atleast like a little child again??

You'll like it. My MPP has almost 900 flights without a crash and is very dependable, so flying out over water is not all that worrisome.

My advice is to take it slow, build up confidence in yourself and confidence in the dependability of the drone. Start with short flights, follow the rules, and practice, practice, practice. Also, this forum contains a large knowledge base for the intricacies of your drone. And there are some very knowledgeable pilots on this forum who are ready to help.

Best wishes and have a nice flight.

Enjoy your new bird! And read this while you wait; the full 70 page manual for your bird. You’ll get more out of it and decrease the chances of a misadventure:

Had mine up today after a week of reading here!
238 feet {400 ceiling}

One of these days I will figure out taking and transferring videos and pix.
This place needs a Charleston SC sunset.

Read a lot! This place is a fountain of information and helpful folks.

Love my Mavic Pro ?

it will change your life, you will find this hobby to be very enjoyable in more ways than you can count.

Don’t forget to comply with the new UK CCA registration regulations before you fly it !

You got the bug! As Thomas B stated, read the manual. Here is a section regarding flying over water:

"Operate the aircraft with great caution in the following situations:

Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g. pure black, pure white, pure red, pure green).
Flying over a highly reflective surfaces.
Flying at high speeds of over 22mph (36kph) at 2 meters or over 11mph (18kph) 1 meter.
Flying over water or transparent surfaces.
Flying over moving surfaces or objects.
Flying over inclined surfaces that will deflect sound waves away from the aircraft.
Flying over small and fine objects (e.g. tree branches and power lines).
Flying in an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically.
Flying over extremely dark (lux < 10) or bright (lux > 100,000) surfaces.
Flying over surfaces that can absorb sound waves (e.g. thick carpet).
Flying over surfaces without clear patterns or texture.
Flying over surfaces with identical repeating patterns or textures (e.g. tiling).
"

I've read many a posting on this forum where pilots were flying over water, and then "for no reason" the aircraft went into the water.

The cause? The downward sensors getting confused, causing the aircraft to descend into the water.

Some people have found that it is better for them to turn off the sensors when flying over water.

Wish I'd have had a Mavic Pro in Key West over 30 years ago as I was about to sail from there round Cuba to the Cayman Islands. What views could have been shot! Had to wait much longer for technology to develop and spent last night reviewing aerial footage taking off from the jetty of Kri Island eco-resort, Raja Ampat, Bird's Head Peninsula off West Papua, Indonesia to complement the underwater shots of a big, black Manta at "Manta Sandy" and more reef fish, big and small, than one could shake a stick at on "Sardines Reef". Got to hand it to GoPro for the underwater and DJI's Mavic for the aerial shots. Magic!

You got the bug! As Thomas B stated, read the manual. Here is a section regarding flying over water:

"Operate the aircraft with great caution in the following situations:

Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g. pure black, pure white, pure red, pure green).
Flying over a highly reflective surfaces.
Flying at high speeds of over 22mph (36kph) at 2 meters or over 11mph (18kph) 1 meter.
Flying over water or transparent surfaces.
Flying over moving surfaces or objects.
Flying over inclined surfaces that will deflect sound waves away from the aircraft.
Flying over small and fine objects (e.g. tree branches and power lines).
Flying in an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically.
Flying over extremely dark (lux < 10) or bright (lux > 100,000) surfaces.
Flying over surfaces that can absorb sound waves (e.g. thick carpet).
Flying over surfaces without clear patterns or texture.
Flying over surfaces with identical repeating patterns or textures (e.g. tiling).
"

I've read many a posting on this forum where pilots were flying over water, and then "for no reason" the aircraft went into the water.

The cause? The downward sensors getting confused, causing the aircraft to descend into the water.

Some people have found that it is better for them to turn off the sensors when flying over water.
I've flown my Mavic Pro many times over lakes in the UK and Zimbabwe, the oceans off South Africa, Alor Island and Raja Ampat, both in Indonesia with downward sensors not turned off, no problems.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato