DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 First video with the Avata shake problems, but most exciting drone ever. And worst crash!

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Edit Fri Sep 22

Message from DJI.com
Massive shortages of aircraft and parts.

"My sincere apologies but since unveiling the DJI Avata and its accessories, we’ve had a very strong global demand, and this has affected the shipment time of the new product. We are already actively replenishing goods and we will ship it according to the order of payment. Thank you again for your support."

And it is very slow delivery from the US so those in the US should get it quicker.

This is the first video with the Avata that I have taken. The original is very smooth as on my MacBook Air M1. When I uploaded it to YouTube it was awful, very jerky, and over exposed. I have tried everything with the video. The only function that improved it a little was the stabilisation function in iMovie and I used 33%, then uploaded it. As I said it did not need it on my MBA. I think YouTube has not yet found a way to code Avata videos; I can think of no other reason. It is a big ask to code 60fps at 4K, but YouTube have improved of late with other drone cameras. Anyway, the main point is that if you take the tips in the “How to fly your new Avata for newbies by a newbie” video, you can be making fun videos in a few days or weeks. Had I used a filter it could have been a lot better. I don't have any at the moment so if you are going to record with a Avata filters they are a must. The crash impact was hard, it few a few moments after without a problem.

Edit
Warnings about flying Avata, let me know if I am annoying anyone and I will stop. Just like a big kid with his best christmas toy.
Do not attempt any tight maneuvers in the wind, its very light.
Be very careful on surfaces that have no patterns, the optical flow system on the Avata is amazing but it does wander in say bathrooms where there are very few patterns.
Oddly enough it is the best drone I have ever used over water. You can fly it about 1 foot/0.9 meters above the water.
Mods I am not sure where to put this stuff. So I will continue until you tell me otherwise.

Edit
Take care when you lose contact, when it engages RTH you can not stop it, the break function does not work 90% of the time. I like to break the RTH, rise so I connect and carry on.

Last edited:
This is the first video with the Avata that I have taken. The original is very smooth as on my MacBook Air M1. When I uploaded it to YouTube it was awful, very jerky, and over exposed. I have tried everything with the video. The only function that improved it a little was the stabilisation function in iMovie and I used 33%, then uploaded it. As I said it did not need it on my MBA. I think YouTube has not yet found a way to code Avata videos; I can think of no other reason. It is a big ask to code 60fps at 4K, but YouTube have improved of late with other drone cameras. Anyway, the main point is that if you take the tips in the “How to fly your new Avata for newbies by a newbie” video, you can be making fun videos in a few days or weeks. Had I used a filter it could have been a lot better. I don't have any at the moment so if you are going to record with a Avata filters they are a must. The crash impact was hard, it few a few moments after without a problem.

Edit
Warnings about flying Avata, let me know if I am annoying anyone and I will stop. Just like a big kid with his best christmas toy.
Do not attempt any tight maneuvers in the wind, its very light.
Be very careful on surfaces that have no patterns, the optical flow system on the Avata is amazing but it does wander in say bathrooms where there are very few patterns.
Oddly enough it is the best drone I have ever used over water. You can fly it about 1 foot/0.9 meters above the water.
Mods I am not sure where to put this stuff. So I will continue until you tell me otherwise.

WOW ! Very cool ! Makes me wanna sell my MA2 and buy one of these ! Is it light enough to not have to be registered ??
Thanks for posting this, beautiful scenery.

WOW ! Very cool ! Makes me wanna sell my MA2 and buy one of these ! Is it light enough to not have to be registered ??
Thanks for posting this, beautiful scenery.
No its not light enough but I don't mind that. I sold drones in the past and always regretted it. I now keep them. But if you are able get one, it is the most exhilarating experience. Really unbelievable and you can very quickly do some cool stuff. It is the most amazing experience speeding on grass or water 6 inches above the surface, you are only doing, say 15 kl/h and it feels like 100 Kl/h. And it is to tough. I could hardly believe it after a hard crash into hard wood, it just flew without a problem.

Looks like they got rid of the panning jutter that plagues prior models.

No its not light enough but I don't mind that. I sold drones in the past and always regretted it. I now keep them. But if you are able get one, it is the most exhilarating experience. Really unbelievable and you can very quickly do some cool stuff. It is the most amazing experience speeding on grass or water 6 inches above the surface, you are only doing, say 15 kl/h and it feels like 100 Kl/h. And it is to tough. I could hardly believe it after a hard crash into hard wood, it just flew without a problem.
We’re you using the one hand controller ? Is it true you can also use the goggles to control it ? Pretty impressive tech.

FYI - There is now a new forum for FTP drones which includes the Avata. Check it out

You will need to "sign-up" as a new member, but you can use the same username and password.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N