DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fixed wing mode Flight

amstar

Reactions
How many of our member know to accrately fly fixed wing mode incl the adjustments in the settings necessary for it?

I tried it a few times with my MP and its not all that good - I had issues with blurry video when banking, you can't fly real low cause you can't tilt the camera (camera is fixed) - it does look like you are flying in a plane - the drone gets up to a cruising speed then you activate FWM and then all you do is use your right stick to fly left right up or down. You don't need to touch your left control button. Here is an example - I didn't get it right till about halfway thru video:

Is it available on the M2? I can’t find anything in the manual about it.

No it’s not in the M2 yet but it’s a key to master the art of long distance flying along with other factors like a backwind.
In M2 you can replicate it using the Atti mode. You will be amazed at the battery you spend wrt distance covered.

Reactions: deleted member 877
How many of our member know to accrately fly fixed wing mode incl the adjustments in the settings necessary for it?
Have to turn off “enable sync gimbal pan follow” in the gimbal settings. Have to turn it on in the controller settings.

It’s basically tap fly but the gimbal locks to looking straight forward and will roll with the aircraft which is different from FPV gimbal mode which is basically just gimbal roll follow.

Fixed wing is a really interesting mode because it’s so different from all the others. It uses the OA sensors to fly even in sport mode. It’s kinda like tapfly in a lot of ways.

If you have auto pilot you can use cruise control with the yaw strategy set to course and it does basically the same thing. It matches roll and yaw to the same stick on the same axis so if you roll 5 degrees it will yaw 5 degrees or vice versa.

No it’s not in the M2 yet but it’s a key to master the art of long distance flying along with other factors like a backwind.
In M2 you can replicate it using the Atti mode. You will be amazed at the battery you spend wrt distance covered.

It does save a lot of battery, that’s because it maintains a consistent speed. Atti mode is a little different cause it maintains a constant tilt which is a little different

I tried it a few times with my MP and its not all that good - I had issues with blurry video when banking, you can't fly real low cause you can't tilt the camera (camera is fixed) - it does look like you are flying in a plane - the drone gets up to a cruising speed then you activate FWM and then all you do is use your right stick to fly left right up or down. You don't need to touch your left control button. Here is an example - I didn't get it right till about halfway thru video:

You can tilt the camera. There's a button on the left corner on DJI Go 4, to enable gimbal to tilt.

Reactions: brett8883
No, there is no tilting of the camera in FWM. The AC flies itself "looks" down, meaning your ac is positioned at the angle of the tilt which means if you are not careful and cannot recover from the downward loop, you will crash. Its meant for horizontal cruising.

Actually you won't crash because there is an inbuilt safety mechanism which will take you out of FWM to multirotor mode, so you will level out and hover.

No, there is no tilting of the camera in FWM. The AC flies itself "looks" down, meaning your ac is positioned at the angle of the tilt which means if you are not careful and cannot recover from the downward loop, you will crash. Its meant for horizontal cruising.
You can release it from being locked though?. It was added as a feature in 01.03.0800 75221

Hum I didn't see that gimbal tilt option when I used it and it made for some awkward flying as pushing down with the right stick to see below made it lose altitude in a hurrry !

Yeah, I remember not jumping into that upgrade due to bullet 2 which was very confusing. I have to check whether I did upgrade later. Been flying M2 for quite a while now. Thumbswayup for the info.

Reactions: brett8883
Yeah, I remember not jumping into that upgrade due to bullet 2 which was very confusing. I have to check whether I did upgrade later. Been flying M2 for quite a while now. Thumbswayup for the info.
That bullet means that if you don’t have a device connected to the remote the height and distance is limited because if you go out of sight then it will be difficult to navigate.

True, but wasn't clear what would happen if there is a disconnect at distance, whether the RTH rules were affected etc. But it was later clarified and basically was like beginner's mode.
I flew FWM quite a bit on the Mpro, don't know why they don't activate it on M2.

I tried it for the first time this past weekend. I wore my DJI goggles.
It's easy to access and abort.

I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would.

I will likely try it again at top speed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00