DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FLY app - where is it?

jarnie

Reactions
After reading and watching DJI videos for setting up the AIR 2 I find I need to download the DJI FLY app on my smartphone.
I have a Samsung android smartphone and when I enter DJI FLY in the Google store and see DJI FLY APP listed and then select it all I see listed to download are
DJI Go 4 - for drones since P4
PJI Pilot
and other apps.
Where do I find the DJI FLY app as mentioned in the (DJI) video?
I have checked the DJI web site (downloads) and it advises that it is available at the Google store for android version 6 or later. My smartphone has android version 7.1.1
Although my smartphone model (J2) is not in the list of supported smartphones yet it is only 2 or 3 years old. I also tried using my wife's mobile phoen which is a Samsung J5 and only released last year and it too can't find DJI FLY in Google store.

If you don't find it when searching Google Play your phone or Android version most probably doesn't support it as both your phone & operating system needs to support a 64bit architecture.

You can try to download the installation .apk file here - - > DJI Fly and sideload it. But all point to that you need to upgrade your phone.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Wow I have found nowhere online that the MAVIC AIR 2 requires a 64bit screen device (phone or tablet).
I know how to find how many bits the operating system is for Windows but do you know how to find that out for a (Samsung android) phone or tablet?

Anyway I have just researched my phone online and it states that it has a CORTEX A53 processor which has 4 cores and AArch64 for 64-bit support and new architectural features.

I find it VERY strange that I can't download the app with 2 different Samsung android phones and a Samsung Tab A tablet which is the current model.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I downloaded the .apk file and copied it to my phone and ran it - you are correct as it wouldn't install stating my phone is not compatible.
That is a BIG ANNOYANCE. Does DJI state anywhere before anyone forks out big dollars to buy an AIR 2 that a specific phone/tablet is required?
My wife's phone and tablet were only purchased a few months ago and so are current models.

The
Wow I have found nowhere online that the MAVIC AIR 2 requires a 64bit screen device (phone or tablet).
I know how to find how many bits the operating system is for Windows but do you know how to find that out for a (Samsung android) phone or tablet?

Anyway I have just researched my phone online and it states that it has a CORTEX A53 processor which has 4 cores and AArch64 for 64-bit support and new architectural features.

I find it VERY strange that I can't download the app with 2 different Samsung android phones and a Samsung Tab A tablet which is the current model.

Any ideas?

You basically need at least 2gb (3gb preferred) of ram and a full 64bit architecture to run DJI Fly
A lot of Samsung devices may have a 64bit processor but then the rest of the architecture might be 32bit, hence the compatibility issues

The Samsung J2 is a full 32bit phone and the J5 even though it's 64bit probably doesn't work due to the Ekynos chip set compatibility issues

Last edited:
I downloaded the .apk file and copied it to my phone and ran it - you are correct as it wouldn't install stating my phone is not compatible.
That is a BIG ANNOYANCE. Does DJI state anywhere before anyone forks out big dollars to buy an AIR 2 that a specific phone/tablet is required?
My wife's phone and tablet were only purchased a few months ago and so are current models.
Just because your phones are a few months old doesn't mean it's compatible. Not all smartphones are created equally, hence the reason in price difference from entry level phones to one's with the latest and greatest features.

I'm not going to say who, but it seems like someone didn't do a very good job researching which phones are compatible with the Fly app.

In the downloads section on DJI's website, it does list specific phone models that are compatible with the Fly app.

Android V 1.1.5
Requires Android 6.0 or above.

Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S20,Samsung Galaxy S10+,Samsung Galaxy S10,Samsung Galaxy S9+,Samsung Galaxy S9 ,Samsung Galaxy S8+,Samsung Galaxy S8,Samsung Galaxy S7 edge,Samsung Galaxy S7,Samsung Galaxy S6,Samsung Galaxy Note10+ ,Samsung Galaxy Note9,Samsung Galaxy Note8,HUAWEI Mate30 Pro,HUAWEI P30 Pro,HUAWEI P30,HUAWEI P20,HUAWEI P10,HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro,HUAWEI Mate 10,HUAWEI nova 5,HUAWEI nova 4,HUAWEI nova 3e,HUAWEI nova 2,Honor 8X,Honor V10,Honor 9,Honor 20 Pro,Honor Magic 2,MI10,Mi 8,Mi MIX 2S,Mi MIX 2,Redmi Note 5,OPPO Find X,OPPO R15,vivo NEX,vivo X27,vivo X21,vivo X20A,OnePlus 7,OnePlus 6T,OnePlus 5,Pixel 4,Pixel 3 XL,Pixel 2 XL,Pixel 2,Pixel,LG V20,LG G6,Sony Xpeial 1

Reactions: dawgpilot
Thanks
Yes I have found the list of compatible phones and tablets and it seems many were released well before my wife's phone and tablet which is doubly annoying.

Why on earth did DJI release a drone which has a very restricted list of compatible devices? Why didn't they release a 32bit and 64bit version of the FLY app?

And more to the point why isn't there a WARNING on the outside of the box alerting buyers of the restriction on compatible devices?
From a quick check there doesn't seem to be such restrictions with their other drones (Mavic 2, Mini, Air, etc etc).

What do I now do? Spend $A500+ ($US300+) on a compatible device (and discard my near new incompatible tablet) or try and sell an unused AIR 2.

I wonder how many other people are being 'stung' this way.

Thanks
Yes I have found the list of compatible phones and tablets and it seems many were released well before my wife's phone and tablet which is doubly annoying.

Why on earth did DJI release a drone which has a very restricted list of compatible devices? Why didn't they release a 32bit and 64bit version of the FLY app?

And more to the point why isn't there a WARNING on the outside of the box alerting buyers of the restriction on compatible devices?
From a quick check there doesn't seem to be such restrictions with their other drones (Mavic 2, Mini, Air, etc etc).

What do I now do? Spend $A500+ ($US300+) on a compatible device (and discard my near new incompatible tablet) or try and sell an unused AIR 2.

I wonder how many other people are being 'stung' this way.
As I mentioned above, buying a new phone does not mean it will have the latest features, rather it's the price point of the phone that will dictate it's feature. More expense phones have better and faster processors, ram, storage, sensors, camera(s), etc.

Since the MA2 is a more higher performing drone with better features, it requires a phone that is able to meet it requirements.

The number of compatible phones is much larger than DJI indicates, they are only listing the ones they have tested and confirmed working themselves.

I hate to say it but the phones you have are fairly low end and it's not DJI's fault that it's not compatible. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to play with the big boy drones, you'll need to get a big boy phone.

I agree with what you both state BUT why can't prospective buyers be alerted what features of a mobile phone and tablet are required to use the AIR 2. This could be as easy as having it printed on the outside of the box.

And I have NEVER seen ANY printed article or video tutorial on the AIR 2 which mentions this.
It's like buying a car which needs a high octane rating fuel and not making it public knowledge and then finding out after purchase that it is goind to cost a lot more for fuel than you anticipated.

Shame on DJI.

By the way EXACTLY what makes a phone compatible with FLY?
Is it just FULL 64 bit and minimum 2GB memory?
Where can I find that as I have NEVER seen it published anywhere.
I don't want to purchase a new phone or tablet and find it too is not compatible.

WILL THIS WORK?

I started looking at my favourite electronics store for possible tablets and the cheapest one I can see there is the
Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus (2nd Gen).

It comes with
Android 9,
4GB RAM and the
CPU is - *. Processor: MediaTek Helio P22T 64-bit 12nm processor

How can I be sure it will be compatible with FLY?

WILL THIS WORK?

I started looking at my favourite electronics store for possible tablets and the cheapest one I can see there is the
Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus (2nd Gen).

It comes with
Android 9,
4GB RAM and the
CPU is - *. Processor: MediaTek Helio P22T 64-bit 12nm processor

How can I be sure it will be compatible with FLY?

Have a look at this list

Wow what an extensive list but it was 'buried' in the Phantom Help forum.

Also I note there were NO Android tablets in that list which were supported by DJI for A2.
Quite a few IPADs. I wonder if that is because they are better (than Android) or some sinister reason.

Also I assume that some of these listed will work with FLY but not supported.
Quite a few Android phones BUT their screens are TOO small for me.

Quite a few Android phones BUT their screens are TOO small for me.
How big do you want the phone to be? I have a Samsung Galaxy A71 with one of the largest phones having a screen size of 6.7" and a 21:9 aspect ratio, and it works perfectly with the FLY app and the AZ Screen Recorder to record the screen while I'm in the air.

Sorry to confuse you.
What I meant was that there are no phones with a screen size I prefer and as such need an 8 or 10 inch tablet.
Still trying to find out what technical details are required to run FLY. I am assuming a 64 bit processor and operating system plus minimum 2GB RAM. Is that all?
Maybe a minimum operating speed too ie processor throughput?

Sorry to confuse you.
What I meant was that there are no phones with a screen size I prefer and as such need an 8 or 10 inch tablet.
Still trying to find out what technical details are required to run FLY. I am assuming a 64 bit processor and operating system plus minimum 2GB RAM. Is that all?
Maybe a minimum operating speed too ie processor throughput?

The issue with tablets is often the performance, DJI Fly appears to use a lot of processing power so the more expensive tablets often work well.
An example is the Ipad Mini 5 which I believe is ideal for DJI Fly. As DJI adds more feature to the app it will only become more cpu intensive.
Sometimes there are incompatible chipsets to worry about, in the past people had problems with the Ekymos chipset in some Samsung phones.

What you need to do, it scour the forums to see what other tablets people are using with DJI Fly, that way you can ensure that you get one that works.
Apple products seem to have less compatibility issues due to standardization of IOS

Yes they sure do!!!

To clear up one point, the Mini has exactly the same 64-bit problem because it uses the same app. It's nothing to do with processor power needed in the phone for larger drones, just the architecture DJI have decided to use for Fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose