DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Flew in 35 km/hr wind gusts and -5 degrees Celcius. AIR 2S was fine. Fingers were frozen.

Manuforti

Reactions
Warm battery. Fully charged. Despite all the great things about Canada, there are not a lot of opportunities to fly between mid November and mid March due to our lovely "balmy" climate. As I get older my finger turn white in the cold and I have to run them under warm water to get them working again.

Wind gusts 35 km/hr, temp -5C

Warm battery. Fully charged. Despite all the great things about Canada, there are not a lot of opportunities to fly between mid November and mid March due to our lovely "balmy" climate. As I get older my finger turn white in the cold and I have to run them under warm water to get them working again.

I've done some 20-25 mph winds and usually get the strong wind warning and then the battery level drops like a rock due to the drone fighting the wind. Happened last week in the Outer Banks at Jockey's Ridge SP flying about 250 ft. Dropped it to about 150 ft and warning went away and battery level zoomed back up to a nice, more comfortable level to bring it home - which I did.

Would suggest getting a pair of phone type gloves that the finger can be uncovered whilst the glove remains on. I, myself, wear some thin fleece type gloves and remove one glove when needed to tap the screen / etc. Then quickly put it back on. The "photo gloves" would be the real deal though.

Our winter flying here in Western NC is about the best with what I drone - waterfalls. Can't get frozen water in summer and typically all the trees / leaves and other ground cover hide much of what I want to video / take pics of.

Reactions: Manuforti
Hi there. The NC scenery and weather all sound perfect for drone work. We traveled the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years ago (well actually it must be at least 15 years ago) and loved it. We ended up in Cherokee.

Hi there. The NC scenery and weather all sound perfect for drone work. We traveled the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years ago (well actually it must be at least 15 years ago) and loved it. We ended up in Cherokee.
Cherokee is about 30 minutes from me. We go up fairly often to the NC side of the Smokies - where the elk are and when company comes into town as it's so close.

The Southern End of the BRP to me is the nicest part - although the whole NC part is wonderful and different. Southern end has some of the highest points on the BRP and one spot - Waterrock Knob is a sunset photographers haven.

Sadly, much of it is not really dronable, unlike much of the northern NC side - as the north end has several public side roads that run parallel with the BRP and at many points less than 1/8 mile - so you can take off / land there and grab some great aerials of spots like Linn Cove Viaduct, which is not easy for a land photographer.

Cheers

I just saw this thread....my recommendation is to fly from inside your car. I do that often and from within our house where our bay window leave me a view of our slough and I enjoy checking out the local fox tracks. I do short flights at -30F and spent and entire day shooting a frozen forest at -20F with 20mph winds, comfortably from within my truck.

Cherokee is about 30 minutes from me. We go up fairly often to the NC side of the Smokies - where the elk are and when company comes into town as it's so close.

The Southern End of the BRP to me is the nicest part - although the whole NC part is wonderful and different. Southern end has some of the highest points on the BRP and one spot - Waterrock Knob is a sunset photographers haven.

Sadly, much of it is not really dronable, unlike much of the northern NC side - as the north end has several public side roads that run parallel with the BRP and at many points less than 1/8 mile - so you can take off / land there and grab some great aerials of spots like Linn Cove Viaduct, which is not easy for a land photographer.

Cheers
We loved it but of course drones hadn’t been conceived in those days but have some wonderful pics of many of the features. Actually can remember being a bit disappointed in Cherokee-had expected the City to be like it was a 120 years ago but it wasn’t!! We admired “Cold Mountain“ and the rickety suspension bridge we plucked up courage to cross. Ahhh, happy memories!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SFC