DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flicker Flicker FLICKER!!!! šŸ˜¬

I'm not sure I would call it a flicker, although it does happen quickly. It almost looks like an aperture adjustment at high speed and for a short burst....

I'm not sure I would call it a flicker, although it does happen quickly. It almost looks like an aperture adjustment at high speed and for a short burst....

Aperture would impact the exposure of the whole image and not just a small portion of it like this. And all settings were manual.

Just went out and shot some 422 ProRes the other day and I'm also having this problem. Everything is on manual and yet it's still flickering. :(

Just went out and shot some 422 ProRes the other day and I'm also having this problem. Everything is on manual and yet it's still flickering. :(

Can you post an example? I have someone at DJI looking at this. Would be good to get more examples to them.

I am having the same issue here. Very upset about this. I thought I had a good hyperlapse but it has been ruined by this flickering problem. All of the settings were set to manual, including tone. I do not use Auto at all. This is not right. I had a test HLG video that also had a brief flickering. I do not think this is isolated to Pro Res. This hyperlapse flickering is far worse. I have just uploaded the video so it might take a little bit to see the high resolution version. This is really inexcusable. I may be forced to return the drone. Have 5 days left.

I did not know the existence of this problem until yesterday. I wonder how many videos and photos that are affected by this issue. I have not have a chance to look through all of it but skipped ahead for this hyperlapse because I was excited to see what it looks like until I saw the result...Very disappointed because this drone had so much potential.

Here is the link:
Edited

Unedited

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Looks like the flickering is gone when I set the hyperlapse to 2 seconds instead of 1 second. So it might be a software issue. Still no solution for the Normal, HLG, D-LOG, ProRes issues.

Flicker is a common issue in hyperlapse but it is perfectly normal and unrelated to the issue I have reported. The reason this happens in hyperlapse is simply that the light changes between exposures. If you look at hyperlapse workflows, you'll see there are workarounds to mitigate the impact.

Flicker is a common issue in hyperlapse but it is perfectly normal and unrelated to the issue I have reported. The reason this happens in hyperlapse is simply that the light changes between exposures. If you look at hyperlapse workflows, you'll see there are workarounds to mitigate the impact.
Oops, I did not realize that. I am still new to this hobby. I can't seem to remove or edit my previous posts. Sorry about that.

More flicker. The worst I've seen yet. Sadly on a commercial shoot no less. Should be painfully obvious, but just in case, look at the sky.

Well since this isn't DJI's forum that would seem, to me, to be a bit of a waste of time. Wouldn't you do better to ask DJI via email or on their forum?

Yes, looks like just venting here no doubt, and getting others feedback on having the similar issue.

Post complaints on the DJI forum, they have DJI staff running that, and they seem to respond most times to peoples complaints, even helping them raise inquiries etc.

Yes, looks like just venting here no doubt, and getting others feedback on having the similar issue.

Post complaints on the DJI forum, they have DJI staff running that, and they seem to respond most times to peoples complaints, even helping them raise inquiries etc.

Not to worry. I am posting this in all outlets including sending it directly to contacts at DJI.

Oops, I did not realize that. I am still new to this hobby. I can't seem to remove or edit my previous posts. Sorry about that.
Off topic, and late, but I thought I'd post to help you a bit (sorry about thread jacking ianwood).

In time lapse (which is what a hyperlapse is), many things can cause flicker. Changing conditions, changing settings during the shooting, small aperture changes between photos, etc.... Most of these can be solved using software like LRTimelapse (which compensates for the changes between each shot. It is a REALLY excellent program).

However, one extra tip that I'll give here. You can introduce flicker also in editing. If you pull the photos into Lightroom and edit them before you put them into a video, make sure to never use Dehaze, Clarity, Texture, or Vibrance. Also, make sure to go easy on Whites/Blacks. The reason is these settings are not linear, meaning the same setting could affect two very similar (but still slightly different) images very differently. It is not a consistent effect. Therefore, adding say 20 dehaze to every image does NOT effect every image in the same way, as you would think. So stay away from those settings when editing any time lapse (including hyperlapses).

For best results on your time lapses, always set all the camera settings to manual for the drone after you get everything dialed in (meaning manual aperture, shutter speed, focus, etc...), then let the drone do its thing. Then when editing, dont use the settings I mentioned above. Then, if you still have a bit of flicker, use LRTimelapse to help.

Good luck!

I'll just keep posting about this until something happens.

This is very interesting. It looks like the effect you get when the props are in the shot, but I assume they aren't here. Is this something just isolated to the cine? I hadn't heard about this issue until now (I'm considering the upgrade to the M3 from my M2P).

Reactions: ianwood
Not to worry. I am posting this in all outlets including sending it directly to contacts at DJI.
I would have assumed that if you have ā€œcontacts at DJIā€, you should need to spam at all outlets?
But if you are just checking if others have the same issue, then maybe be a bit clearer with your post.

Off topic, and late, but I thought I'd post to help you a bit (sorry about thread jacking ianwood).

In time lapse (which is what a hyperlapse is), many things can cause flicker. Changing conditions, changing settings during the shooting, small aperture changes between photos, etc.... Most of these can be solved using software like LRTimelapse (which compensates for the changes between each shot. It is a REALLY excellent program).

However, one extra tip that I'll give here. You can introduce flicker also in editing. If you pull the photos into Lightroom and edit them before you put them into a video, make sure to never use Dehaze, Clarity, Texture, or Vibrance. Also, make sure to go easy on Whites/Blacks. The reason is these settings are not linear, meaning the same setting could affect two very similar (but still slightly different) images very differently. It is not a consistent effect. Therefore, adding say 20 dehaze to every image does NOT effect every image in the same way, as you would think. So stay away from those settings when editing any time lapse (including hyperlapses).

For best results on your time lapses, always set all the camera settings to manual for the drone after you get everything dialed in (meaning manual aperture, shutter speed, focus, etc...), then let the drone do its thing. Then when editing, dont use the settings I mentioned above. Then, if you still have a bit of flicker, use LRTimelapse to help.

Good luck!
But itā€™s not a Timelapse, so fully irrelevant and convoluting the post

Reactions: ianwood
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair