DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flickering Video

GeraldV

Reactions
I dont take a lot of video with the M2P, this is the first time since the firmware upgrade. Took a 10-15 second video ofr a friend in H.265, 4K 25fps and the video is unusable due to a flicker. (Have used the DJI lut for colour grading with Resolve, output to 1080 with a little zoom and positioning but nothing else changed; the flicker is the same on the raw footage)

I am guessing the flicker setting is set wrong in the settings (50Hz vs 60Hz) but thought this was only important when filming indoors around artificial lighting.

Is this normal?:

Note the usual Youtube downgrade minimises the effect but you can see it in the grass. On the original File its terrible which you can see here:

Flicker Vid.mp4

Appreciate any Help / Advice

Nothing set wrong. 25fps on a computer monitor looks like crap because the monitor is too fast which makes individual frame flicker at that low rate very visible. A regular TV screen is much slower creating much more "afterglow" between frames. Watch it on a 4K TV and set motion compensation to "smooth". It'll look perfect. Aside from that, the bitrate you used to render your project and upload it to YouTube was much too low for 4K.

Nothing set wrong. 25fps on a computer monitor looks like crap because the monitor is too fast which makes individual frame flicker at that low rate very visible. A regular TV screen is much slower creating much more "afterglow" between frames. Watch it on a 4K TV and set motion compensation to "smooth". It'll look perfect. Aside from that, the bitrate you used to render your project and upload it to YouTube was much too low for 4K.
Watched on 4k tv and monitor, its exactly the same. There is a definite flicker.

The youtube was rendered at 1080 with low bittate as I just wanted a small file to show the effect.

Nothing to do with settings, you're just seeing prop shadows. Change shooting angle so the sun doesn't hit the lens through the props or use a lens hood (not sure there are many to find for the M2 yet).

Nothing to do with settings, you're just seeing prop shadows. Change shooting angle so the sun doesn't hit the lens through the props or use a lens hood (not sure there are many to find for the M2 yet).

Prop shadow flicker is exacerbated when using relatively fast shutter speeds. I found that using an ND16 in most cases will work wonders as the speeds are much lower, typically below 1/500 while using f3.2 or thereabouts.

That explains it!!! Many thanks!!

Also should point out it was very very windy - gusts circa 40mph meaning drone was not level. (Normally would not have flown but 3 days to make a little shoot and this was the only time it wasnt raining. Flew for 10 minutes before giving up)

When I do this I have incredibly bad results in 4k with judder if I pan right or left - unless I keep my movements painfully slow. What am I doing wrong?
Show samples with/without. With filter you should see less "stutter" thanks to motion blurring it out.

When I do this I have incredibly bad results in 4k with judder if I pan right or left - unless I keep my movements painfully slow. What am I doing wrong?

With shutter speeds at twice the frame rate you are inevitably getting motion blur when panning or flying fast close to objects and ground surfaces. I generally go for between 4-6 times the shutter speed as a compromise of "cinematic" but not excessively blurred when flying fast close to objects. Just try to avoid going above 1/500.

Reactions: Kilrah
Hi all! Is there anyone who edits M2P with Resolve 15? I started to edit my first flights in 4k 24fps and everything seems ok on the computer. But when exported in 1080 and played on a Full HD TV, the areas with more contrast - almost everything on these shots of snowy trees - present a lot of flickering (attached capture to give an idea of the type of image). I assumed that this could come from the codec itself ... now, I have compared with the original file (converted directly and played on the same TV) and it does not show major problems. I have tried a thousand things in Resolve - including solutions recommended for the old MP flickering problem and I can't solve it. Someone who has gone through the same with M2P and who uses Resolve? Thank you!!

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 41
Hi all! Is there anyone who edits M2P with Resolve 15? I started to edit my first flights in 4k 24fps and everything seems ok on the computer. But when exported in 1080 and played on a Full HD TV, the areas with more contrast - almost everything on these shots of snowy trees - present a lot of flickering (attached capture to give an idea of the type of image). I assumed that this could come from the codec itself ... now, I have compared with the original file (converted directly and played on the same TV) and it does not show major problems. I have tried a thousand things in Resolve - including solutions recommended for the old MP flickering problem and I can't solve it. Someone who has gone through the same with M2P and who uses Resolve? Thank you!!

What shutter speed did you shoot? Do you see the flicker in the raw footage before you render it in Resolve?

Not sure what speed I used... I put the file before / after Resolve here:
Test M2P - Google Drive
Any solution to help me solve this is more than welcome, since I have a lot of footage from that same day ready to be edited! Thank you!

Not sure what speed I used... I put the file before / after Resolve here:
Test M2P - Google Drive
Any solution to help me solve this is more than welcome, since I have a lot of footage from that same day ready to be edited! Thank you!
I think one of the causes of your problem is (from your readme.rtf) sharpness +1. Next time try sharpness -1 or -2. To fix this now try Neat Video OFX plugin. If you don't have or don't want to buy Neat Video try temporal noise reduction. There is a thread on this forum with some info: Mavic pro flickering: Davinci resolve vs Neat video

After many tests I concluded that the scene is quite unfavorable and should have decreased the sharpness in camera config in addition to the shutter speed. For now, the best solution has been to change the configuration of the 'image scaling' in DR15, lower the midtone detail to negative values and apply a bit of temporary NR. Thank you all for your help!

Hey mavic maniacs... hope everyone's doing good tonight.. I'm kind of fishing for a little info here. I ordered the Samsung S9. it got here and it was too small, so I've sent it back and I've now ordered the S9 Plus With a six-point something inch phone who out there has flown with the S9 Plus??

Hey mavic maniacs... hope everyone's doing good tonight.. I'm kind of fishing for a little info here. I ordered the Samsung S9. it got here and it was too small, so I've sent it back and I've now ordered the S9 Plus With a six-point something inch phone who out there has flown with the S9 Plus??

That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Rather than taking it off topi you should start a new thread.

That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Rather than taking it off topi you should start a new thread.
well...EXCUSE....ME.....! MR. SALTY. it was done in error
. no harm no fowl. but I would welcome an answer from anyone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato