DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Autonomy 2.0 and intelligent flight modes

riverripper

Reactions
The AIR is featuring Flight Autonomy 2.0.
Who already tested this new flight safety feature outdoors and could give a short summary and answer my questions???

Q1: Does it mean the AIR will remain its altitude when following an object e.g. in active track mode and automatically keep a certainheight on uneven surfaces.
So does is react like in the terrain follow mode as included in the Mavic PRO ???

Q2: How responsive/sensitive is the new active track & collision avoidance e.g. when following me riding on a bike in a dense forest?

Many thanks.

If you're thinking of having the Mavic Air (or the mavic pro) autonomously follow you through a dense forest without crashing, you're dreaming. This may appear to be possible in some of the DJI videos, but that is called ADVERTISING. Technically, it might be possible in the "perfect scenario" under "perfect conditions", but if you tried it you would have a 99.9999% chance of crashing.

We are still many years away from having a drone that can truly weave and bob and dodge all obstacles while it follows you.
The Obstacle Avoidance sensors are nice to have, but they are regularly confused BY THE SUN!
Plus, they cannot see smaller obstacles like branches, wires, ropes, cables, etc. If you any of these even slightly touch a prop you're probably going DOWN.
Plus, there are only sensors facing forwards, backwards, and downward. No protection when flying up, sideways, or at any odd angle.
Plus, they don't work correctly 100% of the time.
Plus, they don't work at all in Sport Mode, which significantly decreases your speed.

Think of the obstacle avoidance sensors like having anti-lock brakes on your car: they're nice to have, but they're definitely not going to keep you from crashing. They are called "obstacle avoidance", not "collision prevention". They CAN sometimes help in the right situations, that is all.

That being said, the Follow Me mode will usually work fine if you set the mavic altitude ABOVE the level of the highest tree and let it Follow You safely from above all obstacles. Active Track could work too, as long as it doesn't lose sight of you behind or beneath the trees.

Expect to have a truly self-flying, crash-proof drone about the same time as you're cruising around in your self-driving car.

The AIR is featuring Flight Autonomy 2.0.
Who already tested this new flight safety feature outdoors and could give a short summary and answer my questions???

Q1: Does it mean the AIR will remain its altitude when following an object e.g. in active track mode and automatically keep a certainheight on uneven surfaces.
So does is react like in the terrain follow mode as included in the Mavic PRO ???

Q2: How responsive/sensitive is the new active track & collision avoidance e.g. when following me riding on a bike in a dense forest?

Many thanks.

1) It's a shame with all that sensors but i will follow you at the moment only uphill.

2) for a dense forest you will have to wait around 3-4 years :) ...but downhill following in an more open space should already be possible - if DJI would implement it.

If you're thinking of having the Mavic Air (or the mavic pro) autonomously follow you through a dense forest without crashing, you're dreaming. This may appear to be possible in some of the DJI videos, but that is called ADVERTISING. Technically, it might be possible in the "perfect scenario" under "perfect conditions", but if you tried it you would have a 99.9999% chance of crashing.

We are still many years away from having a drone that can truly weave and bob and dodge all obstacles while it follows you.
The Obstacle Avoidance sensors are nice to have, but they are regularly confused BY THE SUN!
Plus, they cannot see smaller obstacles like branches, wires, ropes, cables, etc. If you any of these even slightly touch a prop you're probably going DOWN.
Plus, there are only sensors facing forwards, backwards, and downward. No protection when flying up, sideways, or at any odd angle.
Plus, they don't work correctly 100% of the time.
Plus, they don't work at all in Sport Mode, which significantly decreases your speed.

Think of the obstacle avoidance sensors like having anti-lock brakes on your car: they're nice to have, but they're definitely not going to keep you from crashing. They are called "obstacle avoidance", not "collision prevention". They CAN sometimes help in the right situations, that is all.

That being said, the Follow Me mode will usually work fine if you set the mavic altitude ABOVE the level of the highest tree and let it Follow You safely from above all obstacles. Active Track could work too, as long as it doesn't lose sight of you behind or beneath the trees.

Expect to have a truly self-flying, crash-proof drone about the same time as you're cruising around in your self-driving car.
Didnt realize the air has follow me mode. Thought that was pro only.

I am disappointed in the failure to follow downhill. After years of follow me, I figured it was because of the lack of downward sensors. The Air has them so I am crossing my fingers that it will come in a software release. I will have to do my shots uphill until then.

Or Litchi?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000