DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Conditions & Insurance

ReliantAerialImaging

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi Mavic Business Community!

I've been going through all of the legal steps to prepare to do business as a certified Part 107 pilot. I have my Part 107 certification, I established an LLC, have a law firm I work with regularly, have Articles of Organization, and currently am building up my flight hours and experience in the hopes that it will reduce the cost of liability insurance. I intend to buy year round insurance-not per flight.

My concern is that currently in the Chicagoland area conditions are almost always too cold or windy for safe operation according to the Mavic 2 Pro's manual and DJI's guidelines. I use Enterprise cold weather batteries, let my drone warm up, and follow the AirData affiliated OK To Fly service. It regularly will state that conditions are unsafe-and safety is a major concern for me, and selling point of my services.

How will flying in adverse conditions change the cost of liability coverage? I can only get quotes from a number of companies who require extensive information and (in some cases) a full application. I already have DJI's refresh for my hull coverage.

Last, is AirData and the available generated reports sufficient for a flight log, or should I be using an Excel spreadsheet in addition to AirData?

Thanks for your time & consideration!

Joe

My concern is that currently in the Chicagoland area conditions are almost always too cold or windy for safe operation according to the Mavic 2 Pro's manual and DJI's guidelines.
I would hesitate to accept the numbers you find in the manual as accurate guide to what's safe or not.
There is no single wind speed that marks the boundary between safe and unsafe.
It's going to depend on what you are doing, where obstacles are, how far you need to fly and the directions of the wind and your flying.
You can easily fly in considerably higher wind in the open and staying close, than if you went any distance (particularly downwind) and if you need to fly close to obstacles.

I've flown in 22 knot winds many times, when everything is OK, but for some missions a 15 knot wind is no go.

You may be an AMA member. They offer commercial drone insurance through another carrier. I shopped all around a year ago and this was the most comprehensive coverage AND the least expensive. I don’t have hull coverage, only liability. Www.modelaircraft.org Academy of Model Aeronautics.
BTW, it also covers me in Europe.
The main thing I saw regarding AMA insurance for business is as follows,
  • "The policy does NOT cover business pursuits; that is any activity that generates income for a member beyond reimbursement of expenses, except this business pursuit exclusion does not apply to individual members providing modeling instructions for pay to AMA members."
From https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/documents/2021-Insurance-Summary.pdf

You are referring to the standard AMA insurance regarding recreational flying.
There is a separate link for commercial drone operators.

You are referring to the standard AMA insurance regarding recreational flying.
There is a separate link for commercial drone operators.
Thank you PHZ! I located the commercial plan, spoke with the insurance representative, applied, and am waiting for my specific coverage plan to be drafted in a few days. Thank you for your recommendation.

I will remember for future reference that AMA Commercial insurance required much less detailed information than other places I was looking at applying. The representative was very helpful going over specific application questions I had, and was very thorough.

Reactions: SoCal2S
I use AirData plus my own Excel spreadsheet log. I have the HD plan so I created formulas to keep cumulative track of the batteries' flight hours etc.

Thank you PHZ! I located the commercial plan, spoke with the insurance representative, applied, and am waiting for my specific coverage plan to be drafted in a few days. Thank you for your recommendation.

I will remember for future reference that AMA Commercial insurance required much less detailed information than other places I was looking at applying. The representative was very helpful going over specific application questions I had, and was very thorough.
Yes, I researched a couple of plans and hands down this was the best. An unlimited number of drones for the same price. Just remember to let them know when you add one.

Yes, I researched a couple of plans and hands down this was the best. An unlimited number of drones for the same price. Just remember to let them know when you add one.
Great info, been looking to compare and it's been difficult to find details on each plan.

Great info, been looking to compare and it's been difficult to find details on each plan.
I thought they had great communication. They even said if a contractor was insisting I sign a joint policy or contract on the spot to immediately forward it to her personally to look over. It’s safer for the insurer to have a legal representative review it, and ultimately protects me as their client.

For the commercial drone coverage through the provider that AMA uses, did you agree that you would only fly in remote areas? I ask bc that is one of the questions on the application, as follows:
"[ ] (Agree) The UAV will be operated in a remote area."
I had to wonder about that as most of us go where we are sent, while operating within FAA Part 107 rules, and yet that may NOT necessarily be in a "remote area." If you did NOT agree to that, what happened next?

I do not recall that question specifically, but if it was there, I certainly would not have agreed. I answered all questions honestly, and got the insurance no problem. Most of my flying is in urban settings since I do a lot of construction documentation.
I checked if the coverage is good in Europe, and it is. They gave me an additional rider at no additional charge.

Last edited:
I do not recall that question specifically, but if it was there, I certainly would not have agreed. I answered all questions honestly, and got the insurance no problem. Most of my flying is in urban settings since I do a lot of construction documentation.
I checked if the coverage is good in Europe, and it is. They gave me an additional rider at no additional charge.
Here is the response from FNIC regarding "remote area" :

"
Hi Paul:

The remote area is defined by the FAA not the insurance company. We need to comply with the FAA rules.

Hope this makes sense?

Thank you,

Patt

AMADrone
Commercial Accounts
FNIC - Trusted Insurance Advisors
14010 FNB Parkway | Suite 300 | Omaha | NE | 68154
P:402-861-7000
[email protected]
Fnicgroup.com "
---end quote---

Oh yes, of course we (most) all agree to abide by the FAA rules. That is a much different question than remote areas. I have flown within a half mile of a Class B runway, but I had a written authorization from the FAA to do so. I am assuming that since I followed all the FAA rules, I was covered.

Oh yes, of course. 107 pilots all agree to abide by the FAA rules. That is a much different question than remote areas. I have flown within a half mile of a Class B runway, but I had a written authorization from the FAA to do so. I am assuming that since I followed all the FAA rules, I was covered.

Oh yes, of course. 107 pilots all agree to abide by the FAA rules. That is a much different question than remote areas. I have flown within a half mile of a Class B runway, but I had a written authorization from the FAA to do so. I am assuming that since I followed all the FAA rules, I was covered.
They’re asking in writing that you’ll abide by all Part 107 rules. I asked similar questions about requesting temporary exemptions for activities like BVLOS within the existing legal framework, and since those exemptions are allowed under Part 107 they have no issue.

It seems like they’re literally asking if you agree to follow Part 107 rules, in writing, as they will not ask what specific activity you want liability insurance for.

That seems reasonable. Either way, no insurer will stand behind you if you are operating under FAA rules.

If you purchased commercial sUAV thru AMA, did you agree to the condition to fly in remote areas? Read the contractual language at the bottom of the application.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake