DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Data video overlays for the Mavic and 4K videos? Dashware or others?

theskyisthelimit99

Reactions
I cant seem to find a good tutorial out there on how to take flight data from a mavic flight and turn it into a video (even at 1080p)..

Has anyone found a solution that works for 4k video as well.. i thought i read about using a blank/black 1080p video as an layer and super imposing it somehow on the real 4k video at least with dashware..

But even in dashware, i cant figure out which files i need to import into the interface to have it pull data.. is it the idx files on the card.. or do i have to pull data directly from the mavic somehow?

Any tips/suggestions here?

Thanks in advance

You need to extract the flight logs either from the mobile device or the aircraft itself using DJI Assistant and use the avaialble programs to convert them to CSV.

I cant seem to find a good tutorial out there on how to take flight data from a mavic flight and turn it into a video (even at 1080p)..

Has anyone found a solution that works for 4k video as well.. i thought i read about using a blank/black 1080p video as an layer and super imposing it somehow on the real 4k video at least with dashware..

But even in dashware, i cant figure out which files i need to import into the interface to have it pull data.. is it the idx files on the card.. or do i have to pull data directly from the mavic somehow?

Any tips/suggestions here?

Thanks in advance
Hello what I've been doing is download the flight data from the phone to airdata (healthydrones). Have airdata convert the file to a CSV file. download that files to your computer ( remember the folder) ( the file will be labelled as date & time). bring up dashware pick the video file (dasware can't handle 4k or even 2.7k) . so if your recording in 4k you are going to need to (as I call it) wash it down to 1080p. After you get the video loaded you an pick the data file (CSV). I've always had to sycn the data to the video. It seem it always off by 3 or 4 seconds or more. add what gauges you want some don't work or you may have to play around the gauge to get the data right.

Reactions: jnlouw and Riblit
You need to extract the flight logs either from the mobile device or the aircraft itself using DJI Assistant and use the avaialble programs to convert them to CSV.
I installed the DJI assistant on my ipad, but i really dont see how to extract it from the ipad? Or is the only way in this case, to hook up the lightning cable to the quad and extract from there?

Hello what I've been doing is download the flight data from the phone to airdata (healthydrones). Have airdata convert the file to a CSV file. download that files to your computer ( remember the folder) ( the file will be labelled as date & time). bring up dashware pick the video file (dasware can't handle 4k or even 2.7k) . so if your recording in 4k you are going to need to (as I call it) wash it down to 1080p. After you get the video loaded you an pick the data file (CSV). I've always had to sycn the data to the video. It seem it always off by 3 or 4 seconds or more. add what gauges you want some don't work or you may have to play around the gauge to get the data right.
Isnt there the method, forget how, to chroma key in a 1080p black with the data overlay and merge that with the 4k video somehow? How are you getting the files (ipad here)..

You can't do that on an iPad. PC/Mac only with DJI Assistant 2.
The DJI Assistant on iOS Is only for the Ronin and A2.

Or you could use other services that use the phone log as mentioned above.

I'm not sure if you can use the data file from the drone with dashware. I'm thinking it maybe to much data from the software to handle. may be easier to just hook you iphone up to your laptop make an account with airdata ( there is still a free account there). have it converted to csv file.

I'm not sure if you can use the data file from the drone with dashware. I'm thinking it maybe to much data from the software to handle

DatCon lets you specify how much of the data you want to keep when converting.

I have not used datcon very much. Guess I need to look at it more.

I have used the GPS data of a logger of a windsurfer and used Garmin Virb software to edit the movie:

I finally got to testing this some more.. im using hd sync on both the android phone and on my ipad 4 for syncing the flights to airdata as mentioned before.. i think this is the quickest and easiest way to get the flight info from the drone to a csv file format (download from the website once sunk up).. no cables needed.

On the note of 4k video.. i discovered the app called RaceRender.. it supports 4k.

So what i'm seeing is this.. if you record multiple videos for a flight there is basically ONE csv file.. if you forget and delete one of those recorded flights, its probably impossible to line up the data.. so i think its necessary to keep the whole video stream (all mp4 files) and stitch them into one mp4 file before using RaceRender to overlay the statistics?

This was my first try and what i found.. i did however, take the csv to one of my video files just to see if it overlayed correctly and for some reason though (with either RaceRender or Dashware) i'm seeing the real alitude (relative i think).. not absolute.. ie: ground isnt 0 feet, its 1091 etc.. in my brief test i couldnt figure out how to zero that out?

Also.. i think if you dont record much video during a flight and instead record say only one single 5 minute out of 20 minute segment, it would be difficult to the line up the csv file with that clip? I would think ideally you would have to record the whole time without stopping (which is hard to do if you want to take snapshots or you are changing modes in the dji goggles).

I figured out how to make it display the absolute altitude.. you just have to select one of the other altitude options in the config for the gauge.. i forget which one i ended up getting to work.. it was either climb or another altitude labeled one.

It seems that even if you dont record the whole time, if you plug that video into racerender along with the csv it sort of finds the right point for where the video is (i think?)..

RacerRender works well in the preview window.. everything looks solid..

i was able to render out the 4k video file.. however, one issue.. at the same bitrate as the mavic, the video file was about 2GB larger than the mavic combined video... so i lowered the bitrate to 40mbit to equal things out, though i have to see if i have any artifacts..

The other issue is that the racerender video file seems to take forever to upload to youtube.. i'm talking HOURS for a 6gb file.. maybe something about the encoding, i'm unsure whats going on..

Here is a sample screen grab from a rough edit i did.. i'm not positive that the heading at the top seems to stay in sync, everything else does though. Batt % isnt working/set correctly here. Distance is total distance, not distance from home.

dataoverlay.jpg

I have yaw problem with my drone.
Can i overlay the flight data RC.rudder value to the video?
I have the log in csv file already.
What app support it? I cannot start dashware. After install and click on the icon,
an empty window appear and disappear. Tried older version, the same :(

Thx, will try that too.
Finally i can use Dashware on my other pc win10.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder