DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight log M2P with SC + Mac

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I have looked at various posts for viewing a flight log, and the process appears dependent on you hardware setup, etc. I have M2P with Smart Controller and use a Mac (desktop). I want to analyze a recent flight where the gimbal got stuck in down position, and camera focus was off. Hopefully the Log will have data on these. I have not previously downloaded flight log. Thanks.

See the instructions at the bottom of this page for locating your flight logs.

See the instructions at the bottom of this page for locating your flight logs.
I had already found that page which appears to explain flight log access with mobile devices. It does not address getting flight log info from Smart Controller which I have (unless I missed the entry). I see the flight log on my SC now. Unit is struggling to load map. I'm guessing DJI assistant on my Mac can access the logs from the SC? The connectors to the SC are USB A and HDMI. I connected the SC to the Mac via HDMI, but DJI asst does not see the SC. I don't have a USB A to USB A & don't recall having seen one. Odd that DJI should choose this non standard connector.
Is there a portal on the SC to EMAIL the flight log? Text it?

Last edited:
There has to be some sort of USB-B on the SC, whether that be mini, micro or C.
A USB A is to connect to a peripheral. A USB B is so it can be connected to a PC.

HDMI is for video/audio. You won't get data transfers from that.

OK, just looked at the SC user manual.
There is a USB-C port on the bottom (below the screen) in the middle. That's what you'd use to connect it to a PC. It's the same port you use to charge the SC, and to perform firmware updates with Assistant.

The USB A port is on the top.

The SC is not much more than an Android tablet and remote in one. When you connect it to your PC via the USB-C port, the PC should show the internal storage as a USB storage device.

Reactions: Citizen Flier
Unbelievably infuriating! I have had issues connecting to DJI asst via the USB charge port. The app on the Mac typically will not see the SC. It just did for a brief moment, then stopped. I have restarted a few times without connection.

There is also a set of options that appear when the SC is connected to computer via USB C cable. First prompt is a warning about slow charging. After dismissing this, there is a Transfer Files Button, which does not offer any options for transferring Logs.

I tried the Go Share option, but that only works with photos/videos.

Amazingly non intuitive apps! When I record a gps track with my iPhone, there's an EZ access option to email the GPS tracks. 2 clicks an it's done. Why is a simple transfer of flight logs so complex for DJI?

Unbelievably infuriating! I have had issues connecting to DJI asst via the USB charge port. The app on the Mac typically will not see the SC. It just did for a brief moment, then stopped. I have restarted a few times without connection.

There is also a set of options that appear when the SC is connected to computer via USB C cable. First prompt is a warning about slow charging. After dismissing this, there is a Transfer Files Button, which does not offer any options for transferring Logs.

I tried the Go Share option, but that only works with photos/videos.

Amazingly non intuitive apps! When I record a gps track with my iPhone, there's an EZ access option to email the GPS tracks. 2 clicks an it's done. Why is a simple transfer of flight logs so complex for DJI?
Don't use dji assistant just connect it as an external drive and go that route.

I don't use a mac so can't explain it that way but same as pc, connect the controller just like any other external drive. Go to your file manager navigating to it.
Open its main storage folder then DJI then DJI go 4 and then to the "flight records" folder.

Then copy the .txt files over to a folder on your mac.

A pc (win 10) would be something like This pc> devices and drives> motoZ3 (my phone as example) Internal storage>DJI>dji.go.v4>flightrecord

all flight records are in the flight records folder, all .dat files that go with them are in MCDatflightrecords folder within the flightrecords folder. Get those too if you want or need them.

Yours will differ some as MAC and SC but hope you get the idea.

Myself I copy all flight records .TXT and .DAT to my PC, saved by date range and drone model.

I don't usually connect my phone/tablet, I just use bluetooth right after flight/s (don't know if the SC offers that) to keep the backup folders on my computer up to date for each one.

Oh and not sure if our phones are an exception rather than the rule? but so far USB-C connections tends to be flaky at best, don't move the plug even just a hair or the connection drops in and out...

Last edited:
The Assistant would be to update the firmware of the SC, both the Android and the RC component of it.
I found the Assistant will provide an option to download logs from RCs, but not very useful.

Just treat the SC as any other Android tablet when it comes to getting the logs or connecting to your PC.

For transferring files, select "transfer file" USB mode on the Android (SC). Its storage should then appear on your PC.

Another option is to use the Android's file manager and copy the file to an installed SD card. Then put the SD card in your PC using a USB card reader.

Unbelievable. Thwarted every step of the way! I inserted the SD Card, but don't see a path via File Transfer to copy the Flight Log to the SD Card. When I boot up the SC, it won't mount on my desktop as I'm on a Mac & SC is Android. When I go to Flight Logs, I see no option to transfer the log, except to FB, WeChat., Moments, Twitter, tumblr, Weibo or QQ.

DJI assistant on my will sometimes recognize the SC, but the only option is to update firmware.

I understand that to many engineers, Macs don't really exist. But it shouldn't be this difficult to transfer a flight log. SOMEBODY on this forum must have done this.

Unbelievable. Thwarted every step of the way! I inserted the SD Card, but don't see a path via File Transfer to copy the Flight Log to the SD Card. When I boot up the SC, it won't mount on my desktop as I'm on a Mac & SC is Android. When I go to Flight Logs, I see no option to transfer the log, except to FB, WeChat., Moments, Twitter, tumblr, Weibo or QQ.

DJI assistant on my will sometimes recognize the SC, but the only option is to update firmware.

I understand that to many engineers, Macs don't really exist. But it shouldn't be this difficult to transfer a flight log. SOMEBODY on this forum must have done this.

I had not considered that and probably because I don't have a mac, no reason just always been a PC kinda guy.

See,

Apparently you need a app/program for that = android to Mac.

Just double wick on the mounted SD card... a file will open with 2 items. Open them and find your pics/vids. Then drag and drop to where you want them... above advice is from a forty year Mac user. Works every time. Once the file is moved rename it with date so you can find things.

Ha - got it! The Android File Transfer App did the trick. Had I only known. Thanks pals!

OK, I know this sounds pathetic, but I'm just an ignorant photo guy, not a tech, so I can't read the logs. I see there's a $99 log reader app, but I only want to analyze a single log. Any suggestions or log gurus here?

My gimbal malfunctioned on the last flight, and all stills/video were slightly out of focus, even though I tapped focus on screen. And gimbal got suck in down option, but is ok now. So I thought log might explain the malfunction.

Edit: I found the Phantom Help page, & uploaded the log there. Some interesting info, but nothing relating to Gimbal operation. I downloaded the CSV files & the KML could be useful at other times. I did get an in-flight prompt, but it disappeared before I could read it. Still would like to analyze the Gimbal/camera issues.

Last edited:
Try downloading the verbose (detailed) CSV for your log from PhantomHelp. I think that brings up gimbal info.

If not, it might be in the corresponding DAT log. That requires downloading DatCon to read it.

Try downloading the verbose (detailed) CSV for your log from PhantomHelp. I think that brings up gimbal info.
Yes, all available gimbal data is in that CSV file.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom