DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight path software for Mavic Air 2

Steve_Blackwell

Reactions
Hi all,

I'm so glad I found this forum. I just got a MA2 as my very first drone and I have to say I'm hooked. I've been out pretty much every day since I got it a week ago. So I had a question about apps or PC software that can be used to create a pre-planned flight path. I've looked into Pix4D and DroneDeploy but neither is available for the MA2. Apparently DJI has to release the APK before software companies can build their software around it - which makes sense. So is there something else I can use instead until then? Does anyone know how long it typically takes for DJI to release their APK for a new drone?

Basically what I'm looking for is something that will automatically fly a defined area and will allow me to photograph (either manually or automatically) the entirety of that plot which I can then stitch together into a single image. I will then use ArcGIS to stitch and ortho-rectify the image but that's a different conversation.

Anyway, thanks so much and I'm glad to be part of your community.

All the best,
Steve

Don't hold your breath waiting. DJI has still not released the SDK for the Mini and there is no promise that they ever will.

That's good news. I hope they allow flight plans without having to use 3rd party software. I would like to see them develop native software in the app that lets you pre-plan the mission without having to fly to each point first. I am holding off buying this model since it does not have true waypoint planning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve_Blackwell
Hi all,

I'm so glad I found this forum. I just got a MA2 as my very first drone and I have to say I'm hooked. I've been out pretty much every day since I got it a week ago. So I had a question about apps or PC software that can be used to create a pre-planned flight path. I've looked into Pix4D and DroneDeploy but neither is available for the MA2. Apparently DJI has to release the APK before software companies can build their software around it - which makes sense. So is there something else I can use instead until then? Does anyone know how long it typically takes for DJI to release their APK for a new drone?

Basically what I'm looking for is something that will automatically fly a defined area and will allow me to photograph (either manually or automatically) the entirety of that plot which I can then stitch together into a single image. I will then use ArcGIS to stitch and ortho-rectify the image but that's a different conversation.

Anyway, thanks so much and I'm glad to be part of your community.

All the best,
Steve
Same. One of the main reasons for purchasing mine was for SAR. We are all volunteers that buy our own equipment and I really didn't want to chuck down the cash for a mavic2 so I jumped on the MA2 as soon as I saw it without looking too much into the fly app. I just assumed it would at a minimum do everything the M1 did.

Wait so there's a way to do this by flying to designated points? Is this option available in the Fly app?
No. My original Mavic Pro will fly a route through stored waypoints. You have to fly to each point manually first and record the location. This wastes battery and is not as convenient as pre-planning the route in the computer or tablet as I am able to do with my Parrot Anafi. I hope this kind of feature will be added. I don't like using third party apps, because if you have a problem, it will not be covered by warranty.

<SNIP> it will not be covered by warranty.
WILL not or MAY not. I have heard the statement before but I cannot remember reading an account of an owner being denied his warranty claim for using non DJI software. I for one decided I very early that I would be a dedicated DJI Go 4 user until I tried Litchi and enrolled in Phantom FilmSchool. There is so much utility and capability in Litchi I hardly ever use DJI Go 4 any more. I didn't plan it that way, I just enjoy all the new capability that Litchi provides.

WILL not or MAY not. I have heard the statement before but I cannot remember reading an account of an owner being denied his warranty claim for using non DJI software. I for one decided I very early that I would be a dedicated DJI Go 4 user until I tried Litchi and enrolled in Phantom FilmSchool. There is so much utility and capability in Litchi I hardly ever use DJI Go 4 any more. I didn't plan it that way, I just enjoy all the new capability that Litchi provides.
Litchi is a great tool, but If you use it and have a flyaway, DJI will not even look at the log file. As a leader in the drone industry, they need to develop their own waypoint app.

Reactions: ppporch
Litchi is a great tool, but If you use it and have a flyaway, DJI will not even look at the log file. <SNIP>
How do you know this? That is a pretty damning statement, don't you think? Has this been published someplace or is this a case of undocumented hearsay. If this has been communicated by DJI, I would love to see that. Please share your source of this information.

How do you know this? That is a pretty damning statement, don't you think? Has this been published someplace or is this a case of undocumented hearsay. If this has been communicated by DJI, I would love to see that. Please share your source of this information.
It has been discussed here many times. When flying with a third party app, there is no DJI log file on your device. If you are not able to recover the aircraft, there is no log file available from it. You have no way to show what happened. The best offer you will get is 30% discount on a replacement drone.
here is a discussion from a few years ago:

Last edited:
Looking at the manual, it appears as though waypoints are only supported in Hyperlapse mode on the MA2. You can use POI in Focustrack, but that will only orbit a single POI. You may look into Ground Station Pro (GSP), which is a DJI iPad app that supports missions and waypoints. It would take the place of DJI Fly, but I'm not certain that the MA2 is supported. May be your best bet for a while, unfortunately. Not sure what else to suggest until or if the SDK is made available.

I posted the question again at the DJI forum. Their answers confirm my statement.

Reactions: Marv McCarthy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR