DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight pattern exercises

AnnaBang

Reactions
Good morning :)
I am still practicing with my MavicAir. Doing a gradient decent, a flyby sideways (and then turning the drone slightly, which is quite cool & started to do figure of 8's above our house. But would be keen to know if there is a list of maneuver that I could use in my daily practice runs that will help me learn to fly.

I take a video of each run, which I study afterwards, but is currently still not really focusing on videos or controlling the gimbal.

Reactions: Akward59
@AnnaBang the main thing about mastering the control sticks is smooth gentle movements ,and using combinations of the movements ,to produce the required response from the drone,as you have noticed ,the direction the drone takes in relation to your position ,is dependant on which way the front of the drone is facing,and when the front is facing towards you, then the drone moves in the opposite direction to the stick input,this is one of the hardest things to get used to and it takes a while for it to become natural,if i have not flown for a while say a month or so, then i will fly squares circles 8s funnels for one battery at around 10ft height in a large open space ,to keep the muscle memory refreshed in my hands and brain ,so that i know which way the drone is going to go in response to any given stick input,

@AnnaBang the main thing about mastering the control sticks is smooth gentle movements ,and using combinations of the movements ,to produce the required response from the drone,as you have noticed ,the direction the drone takes in relation to your position ,is dependant on which way the front of the drone is facing,and when the front is facing towards you, then the drone moves in the opposite direction to the stick input,this is one of the hardest things to get used to and it takes a while for it to become natural,if i have not flown for a while say a month or so, then i will fly squares circles 8s funnels for one battery at around 10ft height in a large open space ,to keep the muscle memory refreshed in my hands and brain ,so that i know which way the drone is going to go in response to any given stick input,
yes, it takes getting used to the direction of the drone vs the controls! Slowly grasping that.
What is a funnel ?
Every day I practice the movements I am doing, and once comfortable with it, I try and make it a bit more complicated. And then look at the video footage.

@AnnaBang a funnel is going up to about a hundred feet or so select sport mode ,put in full left or right Yaw and full left or right bank ,so they match and then the drone will start to spiral around on the spot you can then give it some down stick so it descends as well

Hi @AnnaBang ... You're right to focusing on flying & maneuvering before you go into all about the camera use.

Stick sensitivity ... even though it's most talked about in relation to create the best cinematic filming it's also largely affect the maneuverability of your MA1. With too sensitive sticks flying becomes harder & very often choppy, so by dialing the sensitivity down in all horizontal movement axis it's much easier to fly & control your craft.

Check this clip out ... it will explain how you change the stick sensitivity + the gimbal rotation speed.

Hi @AnnaBang ... You're right to focusing on flying & maneuvering before you go into all about the camera use.

Stick sensitivity ... even though it's most talked about in relation to create the best cinematic filming it's also largely affect the maneuverability of your MA1. With too sensitive sticks flying becomes harder & very often choppy, so by dialing the sensitivity down in all horizontal movement axis it's much easier to fly & control your craft.

Check this clip out ... it will explain how you change the stick sensitivity + the gimbal rotation speed.

Thank you Slurp.

Reactions: slup
Jeven Dovey has many videos that are focused on maneuvers and techniques for capturing cinematic footage. If that‘s your goal then you may like videos like this:

Last edited:
OMM why are you using/suggesting sports mode for the funnel? Just curious.
@PhiliusFoggg because to get the best effect of a funnel sport mode is the best to achieve this maneuver and the tight turns it needs

@AnnaBang a funnel is going up to about a hundred feet or so select sport mode ,put in full left or right Yaw and full left or right bank ,so they match and then the drone will start to spiral around on the spot you can then give it some down stick so it descends as well
Would switching the gimbal from Follow to FPV add to the drama?

Would switching the gimbal from Follow to FPV add to the drama?
actually fun flying and video do not really go hand in hand ,all you would see is the ground spinning round and round ,i dont even film, when i am doing my fun flying to keep my stick skills on par

Reactions: AnnaBang
Jeven Dovey has many videos that are focused on maneuvers and techniques for capturing cinematic footage. If that‘s your goal then you may like videos like this:

Thanks, I will definitely watch.
I want to use the drone for 'cinematic' things, yes, but I also think it is a good idea to get a couple of maneuvers that one can practice (like doing the scales when playing piano).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada