DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight training - recommendations

wjtvet

Reactions
I am new to drone flying and hope you can give me recommendations for pilot training in general and the Mavic 2 in particular.
The MP2 flies so well on its own but I want to be a better pilot.
Thansk in advance for your help.

Bill

I am new to drone flying and hope you can give me recommendations for pilot training in general and the Mavic 2 in particular.

Bill
FLY... FLY ... FLY ...

Flying a Drone - is like Playing the Piano , or singing a Song - ….

Its really good when its your Own Style !
Just Fly a 100 flights recording out loud to yourself - what you learnt NEW on each flight-

Push your limits a Bit each time -

Soon you'll be an awesome pilot -

Hi Bill - Welcome to the forum ...
Watch a load of YouTube vid's that are targeted at new owners / users. They have a lot of good advice, including the basic checks that you should do on your Drone before you even get it in the air. e.g.:

In regard to training, a good start is to get the Drone in the air, then set 'Tripod' mode (T on the side-switch of your controller). This will slow the drone right down and allow you to be overly harsh with the controls, without things happening too suddenly. Take off with the Drone facing away from you, so that all the controls work the way you expect them to (yaw and roll to the right, goes right!). Get up to about 10 metres (30 ft) and just fly boxes ... right-turn box followed by a left turn box. This gets you used to how you need to put yourself in the pilot seat and know that when the drone is coming back to you, you push [stick] right to turn [to your] left ... Keep finding and pressing the pause button to stop the Mavic - and get used to where that button is. Later on, if you are flying faster and you need to stop things in a hurry! Just press 'Pause' ...
Once you're happy with squares, start on figure-8's and learn to turn using a combo' of both sticks (i.e. roll into your turn).
Have loads of fun and fly safe ...

Take off, get to a good height - minimum 50m and just fly. Assuming your in a big enough area you’re not going to hit anything.

A drone with gps position locking is not like an RC plane or heli in that you need to do hours of practice just to fly a decent circle but they do take a little getting used to.

Reactions: ff22 and wjtvet
Hi Bill - Welcome to the forum ...
Watch a load of YouTube vid's that are targeted at new owners / users. They have a lot of good advice, including the basic checks that you should do on your Drone before you even get it in the air. e.g.:

In regard to training, a good start is to get the Drone in the air, then set 'Tripod' mode (T on the side-switch of your controller). This will slow the drone right down and allow you to be overly harsh with the controls, without things happening too suddenly. Take off with the Drone facing away from you, so that all the controls work the way you expect them to (yaw and roll to the right, goes right!). Get up to about 10 metres (30 ft) and just fly boxes ... right-turn box followed by a left turn box. This gets you used to how you need to put yourself in the pilot seat and know that when the drone is coming back to you, you push [stick] right to turn [to your] left ... Keep finding and pressing the pause button to stop the Mavic - and get used to where that button is. Later on, if you are flying faster and you need to stop things in a hurry! Just press 'Pause' ...
Once you're happy with squares, start on figure-8's and learn to turn using a combo' of both sticks (i.e. roll into your turn).
Have loads of fun and fly safe ...
Thanks FoxHallGH .. !!

Reactions: FoxhallGH

Bill
Hey Bill and welcome.

The M2P is my first drone and I feel quite comfortable flying it already.
What really helped me was flying toy drones around inside the house. They really helped me to get used to the controls without worrying about breaking anything or being out money. Not only that, they are a blast to fly and almost indestructable....

https://www.amazon.com/UDI-RC-Altit...GCZY6QTGA86&psc=1&refRID=JRGB6785NGCZY6QTGA86

Last edited:
Reactions: bcoles and wjtvet
Take off, get to a good height - minimum 50m and just fly. Assuming your in a big enough area you’re not going to hit anything.

A drone with gps position locking is not like an RC plane or heli in that you need to do hours of practice just to fly a decent circle but they do take a little getting used to.
Thanks Danny!

FLY... FLY ... FLY ...

Flying a Drone - is like Playing the Piano , or singing a Song - ….

Its really good when its your Own Style !
Just Fly a 100 flights recording out loud to yourself - what you learnt NEW on each flight-

Push your limits a Bit each time -

Soon you'll be an awesome pilot -
Thanks Rockowe

I've just come across this thread because I was going to post something similar. Flying a drone is simple. It virtually flies itself. However, flying it well, so that control input becomes instinctive, takes a lot of practice. Even now I sometimes cross my controls when the drone is at an unusual orientation. The problem is that the pilot is remote from the aircraft so an extra level of conceptualisation is necessary.

One of the most useful (and engaging) exercises I've found, is flying circuits, as if in a fixed wing aircraft. Take off, ascend along the upwind leg, turn on to cross wind leg, turn on to downwind leg, turn base, and then descend on finals, and arrive back at where you took off from. The aim is to make the circuit as neat as possible, with parallel upwind and downwind legs, and right angles at the turns. At first, stopping and yawing around the turns is OK, but as you improve, the aim should be to bank the turns around using both sticks.

This is actually a lot of fun and not as easy as it sounds. But I've found that with lots of circuits, left and right, my spatial orientation is really improving.

I'd be interested to hear other people's flying drills.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
Buy a cheap drone on Amazon and practice practice practice where there are no consequences for mistakes. Controls are identical and even the cheap ones ($20-30) have altitude hold. If you don't want to do this, at least start in beginner mode on your DJI drone.

Spend a few hours watching YouTube (there is no better free education), read every manual cover to cover, and then head out to a big open field with your 'real' drone. Start in beginner mode and go through all 3 batteries getting familiar with everything. Then go through another 3 in normal mode, again staying in the big open field. The only way to gain confidence is to practice.

Also, I commend you for actually wanting to learn properly instead of rip open the box and fly, which is how a lot of problems happen.

I used youtube and watched heaps of videos. Then I went out to a large open space and just took it really slowly. Use beginners mode until you get the hang of things. Then get a bit more adventurous

Just don’t think that your videos etc will be Oscar winners for a while.

Have fun and don’t get distracted (like I did yesterday and flew into a tree when a bloke came over to talk)

Reactions: Longhorns2005
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98