DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Warning your responsible

Sterk

Reactions
So after posting in this forum about flying a drone in Ocean City NJ, yesterday I was ready to takeoff from the beach and I got this warning, and sorry I forget the wording but it said like I was in a warning area or caution zone and I had to acknowledge that I would be responsible before it would let me takeoff. From what I received from the forum and what all 4 before you fly app's said I was perfectly legal to fly. The sectional chart shows no warning area or restrictions, and not aware of any city ordinance. I'm thinking this is another DJI being super safe and trying to control the drone. I have this issue flying at a local park back home where it will not let me takeoff and it's locked out. I am perfectly legal by the apps and Laanc to fly under 100 feet within the controlled airspace but the Drone is locked out. I have not looked at this area of DJI but I believe I need to learn how to get around this limit.
Any comments on this situation would be appreciated. I will be trying another flight and will get a copy of this warning if it pops up again.

Thanks

Sterk03

Reactions: Prop Wash
I looked up Ocean City, NJ on Google Maps. Don't know where you were exactly, but Shore Medical Center isn't too far away. They could have a heli-pad for air ambulances to land. It's possible the warning is for that since helicopters can fly to/from any direction. Only a guess on my part.

So after posting in this forum about flying a drone in Ocean City NJ, yesterday I was ready to takeoff from the beach and I got this warning, and sorry I forget the wording but it said like I was in a warning area or caution zone and I had to acknowledge that I would be responsible before it would let me takeoff. From what I received from the forum and what all 4 before you fly app's said I was perfectly legal to fly. The sectional chart shows no warning area or restrictions, and not aware of any city ordinance. I'm thinking this is another DJI being super safe and trying to control the drone. I have this issue flying at a local park back home where it will not let me takeoff and it's locked out. I am perfectly legal by the apps and Laanc to fly under 100 feet within the controlled airspace but the Drone is locked out. I have not looked at this area of DJI but I believe I need to learn how to get around this limit.
Any comments on this situation would be appreciated. I will be trying another flight and will get a copy of this warning if it pops up again.

Thanks

Sterk03
Besides checking if you are good to go with the regs here in the US (B4UFLY, Aloft, AirMap, or other app to check your area and getting LAANC clearance if necessary) you also check in with your assigned Nanny (DJI Fly Safe) that has its own idea of what is right and wrong and does not always align itself with US regs.

That is both good and bad. The good part is it gives one more layer to go through in your flight planning to make sure you fly safely. The bad part is that it does not fully align with the regs in the US (or most other countries) and if you wait to try and get Fly Safe clearance at the planned flight area you may not have the connectivity to do so.

Reactions: MS Coast
I’m in a class G area where there is sparse population, farms, etc. My 15 acres boarders the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore to the West, towards Lake Michigan. For years, I’ve gotten that message every time I take off from my driveway.

Reactions: Capt KO
I'm voting it's the DJI flysafe program which is what is shutting me down in the controlled airspace even thou LAANC says it's authorized. As far as the National seashore which is one of the major do not fly zones so to me they will not warn you of this as it is not a FAA restriction per class airspace but geographical I'm surprised you are getting that warning at all. As far as the Heliport At home I'm near several small airports and heliports and never have gotten that type of message from these area's,
so I'm not sure what is around me just south of the city that is giving such a warning. I will go check out the DJI safe fly info.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Safe flights

Sterk03

I just looked at the Geo map and I see no warning area for OCNJ. My warning was the Enhanced Warning zone says no authorization required but I take full responsibility, so still curious what is calling for that warning. Thanks again

Sterk03

I just looked at the Geo map and I see no warning area for OCNJ. My warning was the Enhanced Warning zone says no authorization required but I take full responsibility, so still curious what is calling for that warning. Thanks again

Sterk03
I don't see anything on DJI Fly Safe or B4YOUFLY. If you see the warning message again, try opening the map view and look for anything identified as the reason for the warning.

Heres a screen shot from b4ufly, no restriction. But clearly shows an airport.
Screenshot_20220318-122236_B4UFLY.jpg

This is the 2nd time I've found differences between apps. Which one is correct?

View attachment 145458

B4UFLY is correct. That's the one representing the FAA flying zones. The other is a Chinese DJI Geozone that unfortunately you have to follow too in order to fly a DJI drone.

Reactions: DoomMeister
View attachment 145458

B4UFLY is correct, but if you use DJI you also have to unlock when you are in one of the zones of their FlySafe database like in your post right before this one. Just part of having a Chinese Nanny.

Reactions: Faster
I'm sorry if I'm on the wrong forum page I see 2 references to my post about the sub-forum which I cannot view but as if I should be posting somewhere else, if so set me straight.
One reason I bring this question up is I have had several inputs towards which answer is right and correct and If the FAA wants to control it then maybe we should get all our Drone authorization maps on the same page, right now they are all over the place as far as consistency. I know we are not talking about a LAANC clearance but even if we legally don't need a clearance the supporting app"s and programs should be standardized so we have standard symbols for each. For what responses I have received there is no consistency and this is what I have been observing consistently and before I posted about OCNJ. Here is what the 5 I have used or looked at show for OCNJ

1. B4UFLY is the most general of them all it shows green and no warnings or area to be concerned with.
It has always showed the most lenient and low information of them all and to sometimes not correct even in areas
where there should have been a LAANC.
2. ALOFT this the next it shows clear airspace no warnings for OCNJ Green It does show the medical center and
municipal airport.
3. UAsidekick this show green go fly only showing the airport and the hospital no other info
4, DJI APP shows the airport and the hospital plus other general map items. no warnings
5. Airmap has the triangle AMBER this is the only one that list schools. 2 schools,1 heliport the hospital and 3 small
airfields which one of them really isn't the hospital Somers Point. These are all listed as advisories.
6. the last is Fly App which I do not have but someone showed on the thread it shows the schools and the Municipal
airport but no hospitals. It has quite a long and narrow rectangle over an enlarged area where for general airport
the aircraft taking off and landing at the airport should not be below 400 feet anyway other then close in for landing and takeoff.

If I am on the beach just south of the pier and I'm flying at 100ft or lets say the max under 400" then which is more of a hazard. me at 300 feet over the beach not close to the airport or a Cessna 172 at 400feet over the beach not the water. There minimum altitude is 500ft VFR. I would be more concerned about an aircraft over the sand at 400 feet then the drone.

My point is each one of these flying apps were to use to go along with the FAA is inconsistent, which opens up discussion like this. I don't want anymore restrictions but those which are supposedly in place should be standardized
across the board. As far as listing the airport yes for awareness but I'm not to be over people or houses anyway.
So this would consider the schools and hospitals. Yes the hospitals are shown to give a heads up to the medivacs
which can be at any altitudes, so lets show them on all app's.

Ok enough. Again thanks for your input.

Sterk03

B4UFLY is correct, but if you use DJI you also have to unlock when you are in one of the zones of their FlySafe database like in your post right before this one. Just part of having a Chinese Nanny.
That's unlock as in just clicking to OK the warning message.
I'm sorry if I'm on the wrong forum page I see 2 references to my post about the sub-forum which I cannot view but as if I should be posting somewhere else, if so set me straight.
One reason I bring this question up is I have had several inputs towards which answer is right and correct and If the FAA wants to control it then maybe we should get all our Drone authorization maps on the same page, right now they are all over the place as far as consistency. I know we are not talking about a LAANC clearance but even if we legally don't need a clearance the supporting app"s and programs should be standardized so we have standard symbols for each. For what responses I have received there is no consistency and this is what I have been observing consistently and before I posted about OCNJ. Here is what the 5 I have used or looked at show for OCNJ

1. B4UFLY is the most general of them all it shows green and no warnings or area to be concerned with.
It has always showed the most lenient and low information of them all and to sometimes not correct even in areas
where there should have been a LAANC.
2. ALOFT this the next it shows clear airspace no warnings for OCNJ Green It does show the medical center and
municipal airport.
3. UAsidekick this show green go fly only showing the airport and the hospital no other info
4, DJI APP shows the airport and the hospital plus other general map items. no warnings
5. Airmap has the triangle AMBER this is the only one that list schools. 2 schools,1 heliport the hospital and 3 small
airfields which one of them really isn't the hospital Somers Point. These are all listed as advisories.
6. the last is Fly App which I do not have but someone showed on the thread it shows the schools and the Municipal
airport but no hospitals. It has quite a long and narrow rectangle over an enlarged area where for general airport
the aircraft taking off and landing at the airport should not be below 400 feet anyway other then close in for landing and takeoff.

If I am on the beach just south of the pier and I'm flying at 100ft or lets say the max under 400" then which is more of a hazard. me at 300 feet over the beach not close to the airport or a Cessna 172 at 400feet over the beach not the water. There minimum altitude is 500ft VFR. I would be more concerned about an aircraft over the sand at 400 feet then the drone.

My point is each one of these flying apps were to use to go along with the FAA is inconsistent, which opens up discussion like this. I don't want anymore restrictions but those which are supposedly in place should be standardized
across the board. As far as listing the airport yes for awareness but I'm not to be over people or houses anyway.
So this would consider the schools and hospitals. Yes the hospitals are shown to give a heads up to the medivacs
which can be at any altitudes, so lets show them on all app's.

Ok enough. Again thanks for your input.

Sterk03

B4UFLY is the FAA's app. It's authoritative. The others are not. DJI's software can prevent you from flying in some restricted airspace or require additional steps to fly, but it does not provide a full picture of the FAA regulations.

Last edited:
Well - it's like calling your buddy to ask what the speed limit is on the road you happen to be on. He'll have an opinion, but likely wrong.

The flight rules come down from the FAA (here in the US). There are few official websites for finding the real FAA guidelines and flight rules.

B4UFLY is the FAA approved goto app. Anything else is asking for different opinions. Aloft is one of the companies allowed by the FAA to issue LAANC approvals, and they also authored the B4UFLY app and the ALOFT app. They are the goto apps many pilots use. Just as https://www.1800wxbrief.com/ is the goto weather app from the FAA.

The DJI apps are NOT approved by the FAA. They present an interpretation of the rules, nothing more. They go a bit farther to help keep new pilots from taking off in landing patterns of airports. That's what you ran into. While legal, it isn't a great idea fly a drone where planes are taking off and landing.

You can find recommended apps on the FAA UAS web pages (faa.gov/uas).

The most important point first!!! There are many cases where aircraft can legally fly below 500 feet AGL, and helicopters can be below 500 feet AGL most anywhere. You are entertaining a common misconception about crewed aviation. Being a drone pilot means we are on the bottom of the hierarchy and it is our responsibility to avoid them at all cost. So do not assume that you have exclusive rights to airspace 400 feet AGL and lower.

The next thing to address is the DJI FlySafe database. This is strictly DJI’s own implementation of geofencing to create a safer drone flights worldwide. It does not exactly match any region’s drone regulations except possibly China. Since you are using a DJI aircraft you have to deal with its intricacies.

As a recreational pilot you are bound to following 49 USC 44809.

This link is more clear about what rules you need to follow https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/
They say to use the B4UFLY app to check airspace (which will defer you to Aloft if you need LAANC clearance) and they reference AC 91-57B for interim use as CBO guidelines.

I know this is all new and it take some time to absorb the seemingly conflicting information. One of our Approved Vendors is @pilotinstitute and they just released a new video recently.

Also a couple of free online courses they offer
And

Last edited:
You are in the right place for your topic. There was a post referencing material in the Modifications forums ( you have to request permission to view those forums in your account preferences). I don’t know why someone would recommend that to a person just getting started that doesn’t understand about different classes of airspace. That can be a dangerous mix.

I was responding to the fly app that has a rather large rectangle around the local airport. Airplanes cannot fly around in this area below 500 feet and only close into the airport as they are taking off and landing. I wasn.t saying I'm flying my drone inside of this area, but saying if I'm on the beach an airplane cannot fly below 5oo feet over the beach yes they can over the water, I'm not flying my drone over the water and they have to be 1000 horizontal away from the beach. Yes Helicopters you have to watch for everywhere , I was just stating just because there is a heliport at a hospital does not mean you can't fly a drone. I'd like to know the many cases airplanes can legally fly below 500 feet over houses and schools and hospitals other then landing and takeoffs, as this is stated in the FAR's. I am not saying either that the airspace below 400 feet is a drone only airspace, I just showing the many differences in the app's out there being used by drone pilots. I did not mean to imply what you are talking about. You mentioned the B4Ufly is the FAA go to app it has the least info for drone pilots. It only mentions the airport and the Hospital and the common sense of any pilot Situation Awareness.

Sterk03

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest