Join Us Now

Florida Everglades in the Time of Coronavirus

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
To all:

Please view my latest video.

Full screen and sound. Comments always welcomed.

The coronavirus has forced social distancing on us all. Tired of staying in the house, I drove over 150 miles Saturday (round trip) from Coral Gables to half way across the State of Florida on I-75 towards Naples. This road passes through the fabled Florida Everglades, and there is a nice canal where there are many roadside recreational areas. People can put in their boats, observe the bird life, and any age or social class can fish without being within 6 feet of anyone else. This is an idea place to fly a drone. No obstacles to avoid (power wires, trees) and the view of the famous "Sea of Grass" can be seen from a great vantage point. The video is 3 minutes long, and is a multi-media effort, e.g.: aerial drone photography, timelapse photography with a motion slide (last clip), regular timelapse (Nikon D750 on a Really Right Stuff tripod), the DJI Osmo Pocket set on timelapse, and the DJI Osmo Action video camera (like a Go Pro) also used for timelapse. All timelapses were processed using LR Time-lapse software, and the video was produced with Adobe Premiere Pro. Music by Music bed.

Attachments

• Florida.jpg
    Florida.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 16
Greetings from Canada.
When i was a kid back in the early 90s we visited the everglades on big air boats.
Thanks for sharing brought back good memories

Reactions: Bmckay67
Greetings from Canada.
When i was a kid back in the early 90s we visited the everglades on big air boats.
Thanks for sharing brought back good memories
The big air boats are still there. Big income for the Miccossukees.

To all:

The coronavirus has forced social distancing on us all. Tired of staying in the house, I drove over 150 miles Saturday (round trip) from Coral Gables to half way across the State of Florida on I-75 towards Naples. This road passes through the fabled Florida Everglades, and there is a nice canal where there are many roadside recreational areas. People can put in their boats, observe the bird life, and any age or social class can fish without being within 6 feet of anyone else. This is an idea place to fly a drone. No obstacles to avoid (power wires, trees) and the view of the famous "Sea of Grass" can be seen from a great vantage point. The video is 3 minutes long, and is a multi-media effort, e.g.: aerial drone photography, timelapse photography with a motion slide (last clip), regular timelapse (Nikon D750 on a Really Right Stuff tripod), the DJI Osmo Pocket set on timelapse, and the DJI Osmo Action video camera (like a Go Pro) also used for timelapse. All timelapses were processed using LR Time-lapse software, and the video was produced with Adobe Premiere Pro. Music by Music bed.
Dale - as always another great video ?

You should be thankful for the freedom your government allows. If that were Italy there wouldn't be a single free parking stall, a single meter of unused free land, a single place to stay in peace all by yourself without being overwhelmed by screaming children and waggled towels full of sand.
Thanks for sharing this beauty... taking note on a map. :)

Reactions: Jeff A
To all:

Nicely done.
Bill Dunnuck
Naples.

To all:

Dale: Someday try doing the Rt41 side, much less developed. The Valu-Jet memorial is there, I need to get some shots of it sometime soon. Really good BBQ as you come out of the glades back to what passes for civilization.

Dale: Someday try doing the Rt41 side, much less developed. The Valu-Jet memorial is there, I need to get some shots of it sometime soon. Really good BBQ as you come out of the glades back to what passes for civilization.
Hi bcfd29
Actually, I did that side a year ago March,2019 (film attached) . The problem I found with route 41 is that there was hardly any place to actually pull over and set up my time lapse gear and stuff. I found a place near the Shark Valley entrance but it was a small grassy area. Here is the video from that excursion. It was done with Mavic Air (now sold). The video starts out with downtown Miami but stick with it. Route 41 was actually closer to my home in Coral Gables but I opted for the Alligator Alley (I 75) because of the many recreational pull outs. The attached film is shooting north of 41 and not into Everglades Park. I did not stop at any place with humans for fear of corona so the BBQ (I've eaten there) will have to wait.

Last edited:
You should be thankful for the freedom your government allows. If that were Italy there wouldn't be a single free parking stall, a single meter of unused free land, a single place to stay in peace all by yourself without being overwhelmed by screaming children and waggled towels full of sand.
Thanks for sharing this beauty... taking note on a map. :)
That is a sad commentary. I appreciate your post as it does cause one to be thankful for what we have. It gets less and less over time.
Best of luck to you and your Countrymen during this very difficult time.

Reactions: m80116
Good job Dale, thanks for sharing. We are just now being forced to close, so hopefully I will get more time to go out and fly my drone. Stay safe.

Was this one of the rest stops before getting into the National Park?
Here is a map that might help. March 2019 I filmed along route 41- a two lane road with no real pull outs. You have to pull onto the grass. I filmed across the road and a bit east oof the national park entrance and flew Away (north) of the road, not over the park. For the most recent film, I drove farther to Interstate 75- a 4 lane divided hwy to Naples. There are pull our recreational areas along canals on both sides with lots of parking. See the map that I have attached. The first film is listed in this thread first (March 21,2020). The second film (March 2019) is also on this thread. Everglades Map.jpg

Reactions: m80116
Very nice, and I like all your other toys as well.

Very nice, and I like all your other toys as well.
I am having a lot of fun with those toys-and they certainly provide a lot more variety than just drone videos. I love to intermix DJI Osmo Action (like GoPro) Video, Osmo Pocket, Osmo Mobile 2(iPhone gimbal), and Nikon DSLR timelapse.So on a typical shoot I have 5 sources of video (drone,Action,Pocket, Mobile,DSLR video). If I capture about 30 seconds with each modality, I can produce a 2-3 minute video which is long enough for most viewer's interest. The Pocket and Action doe multiple types of videos (time lapse, pan, hyperlapse) so there are no end of varieties of video I can obtain on a 2 hour shoot. For an old retired doctor, it certainly takes up my day. I can spend 2 hours driving, 2 hours shooting, and 6 hours editing and that, my friend, fills a full week-end of coronavirus quarantine.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada