DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly app 1.7.4 on DJI RC crashes over and over again - yours too?

Amit Dunsky

Reactions
Site
www.facebook.com
I've installed Fly ver. 1.7.4 on my RC and went out this morning for some sunrise video shooting at a nearby vineyard. How not-fun could that be?

Well, to my frustration, the app crashed on me multiple times, just like that without me "provoking" it, meaning no special load, no "too many tasks at the same time", just a regular flight. In fact, as the video here bellow shows, the drone was actually hovering, as I was planning my next shot, and then the app crashed just like that.

Some tech specs:
  • RC Firmware: 01.01.0450
  • Flysafe DB: 01.00.01.27
  • App Version: 1.7.4
  • SD Card: Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB V30 XC I U3 A2
    Free Space: 103GB.
Here's the piece from this morning screen record, showing one of the crashes.

Have any of you experienced such an app crash since the 1.7.4 update?

• Sad
Reactions: LoudThunder
No problems at my end, and I live in a wine region and taken many a shots of the vineyards with my M3P and RC, also running the latest software/firmware. I would do a refresh of the RC software and possibly the M3P and see if that fixes the issue, that would be my 1st thought. I presume there was no known interference in the area ?

Did you have any app crashes on the the RC without the screen recoding feature being in use? That feature could be causing the issue.

No problems at my end, and I live in a wine region and taken many a shots of the vineyards with my M3P and RC, also running the latest software/firmware. I would do a refresh of the RC software and possibly the M3P and see if that fixes the issue, that would be my 1st thought. I presume there was no known interference in the area ?
I believe this has nothing to do with the vineyard, as it happened to me on that same flight 4-5 times, sometimes when the drone was up high in the air.

There is actually a big cellular antenna about 1km from there. But this is not the first time I experience communication interferences, like we all do, and never did it caused the app to crash. In fact, during that same flight, I flew all the to that cellular antenna, and took some picture at around and right above it. Other than some warnings, I had no problem when the drone were there: No control problem nor video stream problem. So, I suppose that rules out the likelihood of that antenna being the reason for the app crash.

This has actually never happened to me in the past. It only started once I upgraded the software. I think I'll take it to some more test flights, in different areas, and if that persists, I'll try and refresh the RC software. I'll need to lookup how to do that...

Did you have any app crashes on the the RC without the screen recoding feature being in use? That feature could be causing the issue.
I screen record all my flights. This is actually the first thing I routinely do, even before going thru the preflight checklist. It allows me to later examine my flights and any event that might have happened, such the one discussed here. It has proven to be a great tool, so I always use it.

So, as I mentioned, I have never experienced such an app crashes before upgrading to 1.7.4 . That said, your outlook could be indirectly related: I'm using a fast MicroSD with 128GB (see the specs in my post). Being that it is a card with lots of storage, I rarely delete it and never format it (other than before the initial use). So, it might be that the software, or the hardware, is having problems dealing with it, although the card is specifically listed as supported by Dji. Additionally, that card is regularly being used by my PC card reader, to download the video.
So if think I'll run a health check on that MicroSD, and if the problem persists, I might try and format it, and see if that helps.

Thank you for pointing that out.

My DJI Fly app is also crashing while I fly my Mavic 2 or mini 2. I am usind a smart controller. It even crashed several times while flying the drone. It kept crashing while transferring photos to my phone. I noticed I was down to 2.6 gb of internal storage left. I moved all data files to the external SD card and any pictures or videos were also removed. I than did a factory reset on the controller. I have plenty of internal storage now and not once did the fly app crash while it was updating or when I reinstalled apps on the controller. Going to test it today to see if I fixed my problem.

There are a variety of threads concerning similar issue. Search for them and see one here;

I also had the version 1.7.4 Fly App crash on me using my Samsung Galaxy S2 Tablet, I did not have the App crash using my Samsung Galaxy A8.

I posted my misadventures in MP with this posting…

I also posted several more times on this Topic and they are also in this link, further down.

I've Uninstalled Version 1.7.4., rebooted the Tablet, and installed an older version 1.6.12 and it runs perfectly without any issues.

I'll wait for a couple of more version releases before I upgrade again, in the meantime, when the App asks

Reactions: Rchawks
I've installed Fly ver. 1.7.4 on my RC and went out this morning for some sunrise video shooting at a nearby vineyard. How not-fun could that be?

Well, to my frustration, the app crashed on me multiple times, just like that without me "provoking" it, meaning no special load, no "too many tasks at the same time", just a regular flight. In fact, as the video here bellow shows, the drone was actually hovering, as I was planning my next shot, and then the app crashed just like that.

Some tech specs:

What you are experiencing is not (IMO) an "app crash". App crashes lock the screen and/or restart the program. I agree with Spinitup that what you are experiencing are "phantom touches" of the screen causing the program to "back up" a screen. So this is probably a touch screen problem with the screen of whatever device you are using for the screen.

Best Regards,
Wobbling Wille

Some tech specs:

I get exactly the same with my DJI RC at least once per flight. Only started recently and not a touchscreen issue. Hopefully they will fix soon!

Such a nice day,i am getting ready to take my mini 3 pro and RC N1 controller and go out for an hour of fun…….see ya all!!, 😂😎

I've been using version 1.7.4 on the DJI RC since it was released and have had no issues with it yet. I'm off out to fly too.. got a commercial job to do :)

I've had this same issue with this update myself where it freezes and you lose control after fighting with it and it flys off back home. I haven't flown it since, because until they provide a better update than the one that grounded my bird in the first place because until now I haven't had any problems to speak of.

• Wow
I've had this same issue with this update myself where it freezes and you lose control after fighting with it and it flys off back home. I haven't flown it since, because until they provide a better update than the one that grounded my bird in the first place because until now I haven't had any problems to speak of.
You might consider stepping back a version or two, I did and I am having no problems with 1.6.12...

But first, some back-story. I am using a Galaxy Tablet S2 and a Galaxy Tablet A8, only the S2 had problems with 1.7.4, the A8 works perfectly with it...

This was the link that got me an older version... If you do this you will need to remover (uninstall) the 1.7.4 on your device, and install the older version. I am flying the Mini 2, I do not know what would be good for you,

• Love
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User