DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly in the snow

Cool :D
Were there any problems caused by the heavy snowfall?
I always don't trust my Mavic to come back down safely in such conditions, but even if its just a bit snowing...

Reactions: Kvark
Cool :D
Were there any problems caused by the heavy snowfall?
I always don't trust my Mavic to come back down safely in such conditions, but even if its just a bit snowing...

Im not being a killjoy but speaking personally I wouldn’t risk flying in snow, especially the wet snow we get in the U.K. it is after all just frozen water, and it gets sucked into the air intake just behind the gimbal straight onto the electronics, exactly the same as rain would. Then it’s goodnight Vienna. And especially in a built up area, any water on those electronics could cause the drone to do unexpected thing. It’s only a matter of luck and a short flight that maybe saved it from damage. Just try dunking your phone in water for a few seconds and see what happens to it. Same goes for the Mavic. Maybe someone can advise if it is safe.

Maybe fly with the cover on in that contingency? At least until it digs up or gets drops on it.

Enjoyed that thanks, kept wanting you to “get away from the tree” at 1:13 and after 2 mins though :eek:

I like it flying in the snow but as choo choo says, perhaps risky when it’s falling quite so hard, just a thought!

Yeah, I'd be a little nervous about that too. Just a suggestion- work on smoother controller movements. Got distracting.

Yeah, I'd be a little nervous about that too. Just a suggestion- work on smoother controller movements. Got distracting.
Already find where to change controller settings for better and smooooof movement of camera :) next video will be better!

Enjoyed that thanks, kept wanting you to “get away from the tree” at 1:13 and after 2 mins though :eek:

I like it flying in the snow but as choo choo says, perhaps risky when it’s falling quite so hard, just a thought!
I was stand under roof (you my see my dark siluet) and visualy it was far away from tree (obstacle detection on) and beeps only once - then it jumps aside imideatly :) but yes, now i see a lot of falling drons videos after meet a tree to be scared too :)

Im not being a killjoy but speaking personally I wouldn’t risk flying in snow, especially the wet snow we get in the U.K. it is after all just frozen water, and it gets sucked into the air intake just behind the gimbal straight onto the electronics, exactly the same as rain would. Then it’s goodnight Vienna. And especially in a built up area, any water on those electronics could cause the drone to do unexpected thing. It’s only a matter of luck and a short flight that maybe saved it from damage. Just try dunking your phone in water for a few seconds and see what happens to it. Same goes for the Mavic. Maybe someone can advise if it is safe.
It was -4 so I think 3-4minutes shouldt damadge it to much, will dont fly under rain for sure! :) And yes my phone is water proof :p

It was -4 so I think 3-4minutes shouldt damadge it to much, will dont fly under rain for sure! :) And yes my phone is water proof :p

Your phone might be waterproof, tho many aren’t, but your Mavic certainly ain’t. When the snow at whatever temperature is sucked into the air intake behind the gimble, it melts due to the heat inside the Mavic, that’s why there’s a cooling fan inside sucking cool air in!!
It’s a weird fact that snow and ice doesn’t conduct electricity, but water does. And when the snow melts on those sensitive electronics!!!!! Anything can happen.
This is the harsh bit. But I mean it in a spirit of friendship between flyers to help keep you safe, those around safe and hopefully enjoy your flying longer......
It’s certainly a bit of irresponsible flying to risk it in such a built up area in that weather. There’s no point in me telling you of the consequences as you won’t have considered them or understand them yet.
Next time, consider the risks and consequences if it all goes wrong and you have a fly away or out of Control crash landing.

I came from a tropical country so it rarely snows like that. Just dry and rains. But I like snow and your video is cool.

Reactions: Kvark and Jerry
Maybe fly with the cover on in that contingency? At least until it digs up or gets drops on it.

Hello all, only had my mavic a couple of days so snooping about in here to pick up tips n tricks.
This comment is something I’m interested in as I’ve heard that keeping the cover on stops air getting through the front intakes.
Personally if it’s safe to keep it on I will as I’m a bit precious and that camera looks oh so delicate

Hello all, only had my mavic a couple of days so snooping about in here to pick up tips n tricks.
This comment is something I’m interested in as I’ve heard that keeping the cover on stops air getting through the front intakes.
Personally if it’s safe to keep it on I will as I’m a bit precious and that camera looks oh so delicate

I think you could be in danger of “paralysis by analysis “
Questioning some advanced stuff and detail when you don’t need to!
You don’t need to know any tips and tricks until you can switch it on fly it land without having to remember what order to do it in!
Forget it - just fly it and fly it again. Fly it in simple ways that beginners YouTube vids show the tips and tricks will come along at your pace . . .
Hope that helps Thumbswayup

honestly I'd not fly while snowing so hard.. but you made it woaw!
that proof the quality of mavic ;)
my real question is:
did you get any "low voltage" warning?
cause here I flew at +5 and after a whole. I've got "critically low voltage.." how do you fly. in such cold temperatures?

"did you get any "low voltage" warning?"
No any warnings was there, I have been fly before high in mountains in France, get warning only then it was -15 and flytime for full charge to 10% was arround 14min, I have little video on my youtube channel.

Hello, your drone is still ok? I would love to fly in that kind of weather but i do not have the guts. I would appreciate your feedback about your mavic.s status after this experience

I would never fly my Mavic in that. I had a little Syma X5 that i flew in snow once and it wreaked havoc on it. I had to replace two of the motors and the circuit board. That little X5 was a cheap uncomplicated little bird, I can't even Imagine what the damage would have been to a Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest