DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly legally without a Transport Canada pilot certificate and drone registration...

jwt873

Reactions
A friend of mine is a member of the The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) Model Aeronautics Association of Canada

He pointed out that they have recently been exempted from Part IX of the Canadian Aviation Regulations. This means that MAAC members in good standing don't have to obtain a Transport Canada pilot certificate and they don't have to register their aircraft with Transport Canada.

However, It's not all that easy. They do have to demonstrate knowledge of RPAS regulations as well as demonstrating the ability to fly an RPAS to the satisfaction of MAAC officials. While MAAC members don't require a Transport Canada registration number, they do have to put their MAAC membership numbers on their RPAS aircraft.

For further details, see --> https://secure.maac.ca/get_document.php?document_id=499

Just my thoughts on this ... so no doubt this is PROBABLY correct (I'm taking your word for it) BUT .... this would just stop you from doing the basic one. You still need to fly outside of controlled airspace. Which means you could just do the basic one (a pass is only 60% and its not hard) ... and having that certificate means you don't have to pay membership fees to a model aircraft association AND if a cop was to ever approach you, it will be SOOOOooo much easier to show him your registration certificate with transport canada and your basic exam than it would be to explain why you don't have it and why you dont need it (even if you are right).

Its sad but the media has made drone fliers seem like were all horrible people and you'll probably eventually get someone calling the cops on you even though your doing nothing wrong. I'd rather be holding a transport canada paper than some exception.

Just my two cents.

Editing to add: The fee for the registration ($5) and basic exam ($10) is probably less than any model airplane club membership fee.

I believe that exemption is only for flight at MAAC sanctioned fields. Really limits your photo/video opportunities as most fields MAAC fields are pretty.... blah. If you just like flying in circles, sure.

I believe that exemption is only for flight at MAAC sanctioned fields. Really limits your photo/video opportunities as most fields MAAC fields are pretty.... blah. If you just like flying in circles, sure.

That's what I also assumed.. But, in the memo signed by the director of civil aviation, https://secure.maac.ca/get_document.php?document_id=499 it states:

"The purpose of this exemption is to allow members of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) to operate remotely piloted aircraft systems within Canadian airspace while abiding to all applicable MAAC safety guidelines as amended from time to time".

Also, there are references to operating in areas not sanctioned by MAAC -- Sections 12 and 14(b) of the memo.

That's what I also assumed.. But, in the memo signed by the director of civil aviation, https://secure.maac.ca/get_document.php?document_id=499 it states:

"The purpose of this exemption is to allow members of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) to operate remotely piloted aircraft systems within Canadian airspace while abiding to all applicable MAAC safety guidelines as amended from time to time".

Also, there are references to operating in areas not sanctioned by MAAC -- Sections 12 and 14(b) of the memo.

True, but then the MAAC safety documents tell you to follow the rules/regulations of the area you are flying if not at a MAAC field. It's a never ending grey circle!!!

In typical TC fashion, they've made things confusing! haha.

I'm a MAAC member but required the advanced license. So I didn't read too deep into the exemption.

You know... Reading the exemption again, it does seem that it deals with flying from organized flying fields and not just anywhere.... in most of the conditions, they differentiate between flying from MAAC sanctioned fields and fields that aren't sanctioned by MAAC.

Like you say.. Clear as mud :)

Well, having a Basic sRPAS Pilot's Certificate and registering for a MAAC membership worked for me! I was having trouble finding a MAAC sanctioned airfield that allowed drones to be flown in them, until I found one last week. Most required that your primary aircraft was a fixed-wing, then you could fly a drone if you also owned one.

Well, I need practice time with my M2P and one field is enough. Having said that, I do travel all over Canada & the States, so I plan to fly wherever I can legally :)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU