DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly no longer supported on any iPad Minis!

cheddar-man

Reactions
Having tried several iPad Minis and talking to DJI Support because of their failures, they have finally come back and said that they do not support any of the iPad Minis, only those in the list below copied from their email!
Very annoying as I find the full sized iPads far too big, make the controller very top heavy!
I do not want to go over to Android.

1660679181719.png

Reactions: Lady Flyer
Having tried several iPad Minis and talking to DJI Support because of their failures, they have finally come back and said that they do not support any of the iPad Minis, only those in the list below copied from their email!
Very annoying as I find the full sized iPads far too big, make the controller very top heavy!

Its been a while since I had my mini 1 and 2 but I was sure that the flyapp worked on the Mini 4 that I have, but then it may be that the later versions may be the issue

I just powered up my Air 2s with my ipad mini 5 and it connected fine.
I didn't fly it but everything seemed to work ok in the settings / pictures & videos working fine. Usually just fly with the phone these days

Reactions: cneedelman
That's the whole list, cheddar-man? Odd, as you would expect they would support an M1 iPad Air. fyi, not as small as a Mini, but measurements are
  • Height: 9.74 inches (247.6 mm)
  • Width: 7.02 inches (178.5 mm)
I run an M1 iPad Air, and I agree with you, those on the list are too big.

That's funny.

When I started flying a Spark in 2017, I said to myself, " I do not want to go over to... APPLE". :D

But at the time, Apple worked best with the DJI products and I purchased a Mini 4 just to fly the Spark.

It worked well over the years and when the FLY app came with the MA2, the performance of the mini 4 got pushed to it's limit.

I thought about a mini 5, but ended up with a Tripltek tablet.

If you do switch, this is the Droid you're looking for.

The Mini's will probably work just fine, it just won't have DJI support.

Reactions: Gary R and Laborous
I bought a Mini 4 a month ago just to fly my Mini 2 but kept getting this error message and sometimes it just quit so it's gone back to the seller.
It is this that made me contact DJI in the first place as this iPad was on their approved list until recently!

IMG_0024.jpeg

Reactions: RFaust
I bought a Mini 4 a month ago just to fly my Mini 2 but kept getting this error message and sometimes it just quit so it's gone back to the seller.
It is this that made me contact DJI in the first place as this iPad was on their approved list until recently!
That Error message of course is pretty self-explanatory, Recent versions of Fly have been becoming more CPU Intensive by probably doing more things that they can't process on the drone, all the flight modes, etc.

Chances are while the iPad Mini 5 was an A12 Bionic and is 3 years old, and was replaced by the Mini 6 which has a A15 Bionic, the Mini 5 probably won't cut it any more, but an Gen 6 will probably work fine, even if DJI does not say so, that processor should have more than enough power for now.

When I first got the mini 2 a year ago, my iPad mini 3 gave me problems. Got a mini 5th gen and it has been working fine. Also have the Tripltek 8 but only use that when I need the extra brightness of the screen. Other wise it’s just too dang heavy and I really dislike the Android system.

Flew my DJI Mini 2 yesterday, using my iPad Mini 6 for the controller screen. It works perfectly. I have every intention of continuing to use the iPad Mini 6 going forward.

I suspect DJI's "support" is, in this case, just clueless or lazy. (I know, shocking...)

Last edited:
Keep in mind whenever a tech support person tells you something like that they are telling you what they have tested and confirmed. More often than not there will be other not-tested, not-supported options that will work perfectly fine.

Having tried several iPad Minis and talking to DJI Support because of their failures, they have finally come back and said that they do not support any of the iPad Minis
That sounds about right since they don't support the majority of mobile devices. However, keep in mind that this lack of support is entirely different than mobile devices not being able to run DJI Fly. Many people are happily flying with unsupported mobile devices.

I've been using an iPad Mini 6 with my Mini 2 (and Mavic 2 which has Go4 app). No real issues except that the Mini 2/iPad is finicky about which cables I use. It's funny how DJI has always been sort of iPhone-centric, but now is singing a different tun when it comes to iPads? I really like having the extra viewing real estate with my iPad Mini 6. It's just that it's an odd size, slightly larger than the iPad Mini 5. I had to modify my screen shade to adapt it to the 6. But other than those small things, no issues. The iPM6 works great with my Mavic 2 and a bracket can help alleviate some folks complaint that phones mount BELOW the controller (never an issue for me). Now the iPM6 or other minis can "hover" above a Mavic 2 controller if desired.

Having tried several iPad Minis and talking to DJI Support because of their failures, they have finally come back and said that they do not support any of the iPad Minis,
Unfortunately DJI support people cannot be trusted to supply accurate information.
They don't fly drones and don't know drones.
They just work from scripts and make up stuff if they don't have a script for what you ask.

And there have always been plenty of good phones and tablets (Android and Apple) that aren't listed by DJI, but work perfectly with their apps.

Its been a while since I had my mini 1 and 2 but I was sure that the flyapp worked on the Mini 4 that I have, but then it may be that the later versions may be the issue
Later versions of the app likely won't work. I have a Mini 4 and kept getting processor overloaded errors even when in airplane mode with only Fly running, while flying my Mavic Mini. That's one reason I opted for the RC Controller when I bought a Mini 3.

Later versions of the app likely won't work. I have a Mini 4 and kept getting processor overloaded errors even when in airplane mode with only Fly running, while flying my Mavic Mini. That's one reason I opted for the RC Controller when I bought a Mini 3.
The iPad Mini 4 came out in late 2015 and uses an Apple A8 Processor, current versions of Fly, perhaps even older one's would have over-whelmed the CPU in the Mini 4.. AirPlane mode, and even force quitting all the apps does nothing when the CPU's processing power is overwhelmed by the requirements of the App.

While some have said that the Mini 5 is still working for them, that could be only a matter of time before its CPU is no longer sufficient. It's really hard to say? At this point, I think if you or anyone else wanted a larger screen, even over that of the screen RC models, you'd want to get a Mini 6.

I've just had an update from DJI;
The Ipad Mini 5 is compatible as long as the iOS version is not iOS 15 or later, hence we advise using an older Ipad version such as iPad Pro (9.7-inch), iPad Air 2 (9.7-inch), iPad mini 4 (8-inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro 2018 (11-inch), and iPad Pro (12.9-inch).

This has confused me even more as I had the Mini 4 and it was "overloaded"!
IMG_0024.jpeg

I only had time for a quick 3 minute test flight (critical low battery) in my back garden just now.
Ipad mini 5, IOS 15.6.
Everything worked ok for me, now I want to use the ipad more as I was used to the phone screen size!

Reactions: TrabSeyn
I replaced my Mini 5 with a Mini 6, when the Fly app exceeded the capabilities of the Mini 5 processor. As I have mentioned in previous posts, the Mini 6 barely breaks a sweat. The form factor and the low weight are positive attributes as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov