DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly peculiar! Greetings from Toronto, Canada.

Caelum Manibus

Reactions
Hi everyone!

My name's Anton and I live in Toronto, Canada. I'm a drone freak, but probably not in any way you might expect.

I recently bought (at a very significant discount) two DJI Mini 2 Flymore Bundles. I'm not a fan of DJI; my first drone was a P3P. I did one test flight, then moved to a different company. Gave the P3P away a few months later (it vanished in a flyaway, of course!). I'm not here to bash DJI, however. Not at all. I think their hardware is stunningly great. I didn't like the rather un-aesthetically pleasing P3P (it's boring), but DJI's later hardware looks pretty good.

I bought my two Mini 2's because, after doing some research I thought it might be possible to fly them in my "style". I also learned that they could be flown without a phone or app involved at all. Which is true. The next thing I'd like to do is remove the cameras/gimbals. I don't need them, and I'd rather not end up destroying them.

So, here's the part that may bother a few people. Parts of the way I fly are slightly dangerous. I don't suggest anyone try most of what I do. I have well over a thousand hours of practice (probably closer to two thousand) and I 'm pretty good at what I do. I am apparently the only person in the world who flies like this, by the way. That's not a boast; more like a lament. I didn't know no one else did this. I'd love to be wrong.

It's slightly, vaguely, dangerous, but ONLY to the pilot. Me, I mean. I'll explain.

I can fly very, very close to myself. Like, centimeters close. I fly LOS exclusively. Doing what I do, I basically can't take my eyes off the drone. If you've ever seen a kid with a toy airplane, zooming it around themselves while running around... that's kind of how I fly. I call it Precision Proximity Piloting. Or P3, as an homage to my long-gone Phantom 3.

I can do a few tricks, but the way I fly is my primary trick. I can dance with the drone, I can fly that close to myself with the TX behind my back, and I can spin the drone on my index finger like a basketball while moving around, bouncing it up and down. I can fly the drone around myself while I spin around as well. I've trained myself not to allow the dizziness to affect my flying. I tend to fly at face level, and I am in almost constant motion WITH the drone. I don't stand in one spot and fly way over there somewhere. :)

I primarily fly indoors, although I can do all this outdoors as well.

My drone of choice for my style is the Bugs 3 Mini. It's brushless, powerful, and inexpensive. I have nine of them in total. It self-levels (atti mode), and that's all. No GPS, no barometer, no sensors, no compass, nothing. The drone does NOT fly itself in any way. I do require self-leveling; I can't do this in acro. The Bugs Mini is also a pretty boring shape, so I add all kinds of junk to my drones to make them larger and more "visually stimulating", let's say. They're all under 250 grams, though. Adding stuff to them makes them HARDER to fly, not easier. Don't try this at home.

Again, please don't attempt the dangerous parts of this. I spent a long time very slowly developing my abilities. Unfortunately not my dancing abilities, however, Haha. The drone dances far better than I do. I'm just an old fat guy. :) I have no problem with anyone laughing at my dancing. I laugh at it myself.

So... would anyone like to see video? :)

The first minute is just me warming up; it gets better. This is from a couple of years ago - I'll be making new videos soon.

Happy to be here, and looking forward to whatever responses I get. And before anyone chastises me for doing something so slightly dangerous, first you have to go and chastise high divers, fire-eaters, chainsaw jugglers, race car drivers, etc. Do that, then feel free to lecture me. :)

Anton

Last edited:
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome...from "Winterpeg"!

Far be it for me to chastise you for the danger, but I honestly found it more "peculiar", than dangerous. I might have missed a couple, but I only noticed you had it as close as you say you can fly it ("more like two centimetres") twice. The rest of the time was closer than I'd like to fly it, but most of the time it was a fair distance away? This isn't a challenge...lol Just saying I was expecting it to be WAY dangerous based on your description, and didn't find that to be the case.

Last edited:
There's a lot I don't do in that video. It is, in fact, pretty tame. Still... you wanna try it? :) I was concentrating more on the dancing part - which as I say, I'm not very good at, with or without a drone!

-editing to note... I shot this with a very wide angle camera which distorts things like apparent distance. My apartment is very small, with 8 ft ceilings. There isn't a lot of room.

I was being preemptive in my comments - I've seen people here freak out over someone saying they want to fly their Mini indoors. "Why would you do that? You'd be in ATTI mode! Go outside!" lol

If you really want, I'll shoot a video with the drone without anything on it hovering right by my face. Wouldn't be very interesting. I said I "can" fly that close, not that I always do. Would be pretty hard to dance with it if it was always in my face. I don't fly like that because it's dangerous, it just happens that the way I fly "can" be dangerous. Also, didn't think it prudent to start off with something that might get someone really hurt if they tried it. But hey, anyone who thinks it isn't dangerous... give it a shot. Make a video. Feel free to prove me wrong! Whatever you do, though, please don't do this with a DJI Mini 2. I'm attempting it, and it's really hard, and - even if you don't believe it, really dangerous. I'm good at this, and even I have trouble getting a DJI drone to do this. By the way, I only wear some form of eye protection when I shoot a video. Ordinarily I do this with a bare face and in my underwear (no one wants to see that... !).

You're right, though... it is quite peculiar. Not the word I would have chosen, but it fits.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

My name's Anton and I live in Toronto, Canada. I'm a drone freak, but probably not in any way you might expect.

I recently bought (at a very significant discount) two DJI Mini 2 Flymore Bundles. I'm not a fan of DJI; my first drone was a P3P. I did one test flight, then moved to a different company. Gave the P3P away a few months later (it vanished in a flyaway, of course!). I'm not here to bash DJI, however. Not at all. I think their hardware is stunningly great. I didn't like the rather un-aesthetically pleasing P3P (it's boring), but DJI's later hardware looks pretty good.

I bought my two Mini 2's because, after doing some research I thought it might be possible to fly them in my "style". I also learned that they could be flown without a phone or app involved at all. Which is true. The next thing I'd like to do is remove the cameras/gimbals. I don't need them, and I'd rather not end up destroying them.

So, here's the part that's probably going to freak out a few people. The way I fly is INCREDIBLY dangerous. I do NOT suggest anyone try ANYTHING I do. I have well over a thousand hours of practice (probably closer to two thousand) and I am ridiculously good at what I do. I am apparently the only person in the world who flies like this, by the way. That's not a boast; more like a lament. I didn't know no one else did this. I'd love to be wrong.

It's dangerous, but ONLY to the pilot. Me, I mean. I'll explain.

I can fly very, very close to myself. Like, centimeters close. I don't mean ten centimeters, I mean more like TWO centimeters. I fly LOS exclusively. Doing what I do, I basically can't take my eyes off the drone. If you've ever seen a kid with a toy airplane, zooming it around themselves while running around... that's kind of how I fly. I call it Precision Proximity Piloting. Or P3, as an homage to my long-gone Phantom 3.

I can do a few tricks, but the way I fly is my primary trick. I can dance with the drone, I can fly that close to myself with the TX behind my back, and I can spin the drone on my index finger like a basketball while moving around, bouncing it up and down. I can fly the drone around myself while I spin around as well. I've trained myself not to allow the dizziness to affect my flying. I tend to fly at face level, and I am in almost constant motion WITH the drone. I don't stand in one spot and fly way over there somewhere. :)

I primarily fly indoors, although I can do all this outdoors as well.

My drone of choice for my style is the Bugs 3 Mini. It's brushless, powerful, and inexpensive. I have nine of them in total. It self-levels (atti mode), and that's all. No GPS, no barometer, no sensors, no compass, nothing. The drone does NOT fly itself in any way. I do require self-leveling; I can't do this in acro. The Bugs Mini is also a pretty boring shape, so I add all kinds of junk to my drones to make them larger and more "visually stimulating", let's say. They're all under 250 grams, though. Adding stuff to them makes them HARDER to fly, not easier. Don't try this at home.

Again, please do NOT attempt any of this. I spent YEARS very slowly developing my abilities. Unfortunately not my dancing abilities, however, Haha. The drone dances far better than I do. I'm just an old fat guy. :) I have no problem with anyone laughing at my dancing. I laugh at it myself.

So... would anyone like to see video? :)

The first minute is just me warming up; it gets better. This is from a couple of years ago - I'll be making new videos soon.

Happy to be here, and looking forward to whatever responses I get. And before anyone chastises me for doing something so "dangerous", first you have to go and chastise high divers, fire-eaters, chainsaw jugglers, race car drivers, etc. Do that, then feel free to lecture me. :)

Anton
I have to hand it to you... that's some control. Not something I would want to do or even be interested in learning to do since I still have a hard time walking and chewing gum, and at almost 66 yrs young, it's getting harder every day. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to hand it to you... that's some control.
😲 That was my reaction too. Wow. Anton has astounding control!

Whenever I bring any of my drones anywhere close to me, like when landing, I prefer to always have them facing away from me. That way I know if I move the control stick to the right, the drone will move to my right. Or push the stick away, I know the drone will move away from me.

If it's facing me, I'm prone to pushing the sticks in the wrong direction. Push the stick to the right, the drone moves to its right, my left! That's not a big deal as long as you have enough room and time to react. But if it's anywhere near my face, I'm likely to panic if it moves in the unexpected opposite direction.

I've seen guys fly FPV racing drones through tight spaces, doing flips and stunts. But what Anton is doing is "peculiar" only in that it is extraordinarily "unique".

I can't recall ever having seen anyone fly with this degree of control and confidence, in such a confined space, while orbiting the drone that close around themselves, while also moving themselves. That can't be easy to master.

Jeez, it took me a long time merely to work up enough nerve to hand catch my drone for landing.

Thanks Mark and Zbip57! Sorry, I don't use social media and I have never posted to a forum, so I don't know how to quote you or reply directly to a post. I've read thousands of forum posts, but this is my first time posting anything ever. Also, pretty much no one has ever seen me fly before this. That video is actually about three years old. I think I'd only been doing the finger-spinning thing for maybe a month, perhaps less. It was still new to me at the time; I'm better at it now.

And yeah, it's unique. No one else does this because... why would anyone want to? It's peculiar. :) (I'm embracing the word peculiar and making it mine; I'd rather be peculiar than boring and ordinary lol)

looking forward to whatever responses I get. And before anyone chastises me for doing something so slightly dangerous, first you have to go and chastise high divers, fire-eaters, chainsaw jugglers, race car drivers, etc.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Since you live in Canada, but as long as you stay in side, you probably do not need to follow any national, regional. Or local laws, but if you venture outside, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check to ensure these are current.

Keep those Prop Guards on… Or…

freddy.gif

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Hello from the Crossroads of America Caelum Manibus

Nice to meet you Anton. 🤝

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3