DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly with gimbal protector on?

Reactions
I just watched a tutorial video on the DJI website, produced by DJI. The Mavic Pro in the shot is flying with the gimbal protector on. I was under the impression you had to remove that to fly. Can anyone clear that up for me (I'm a newb, just bought my M2P 2 weeks ago). Image attached is from the video I referenced, which is on the TapFly feature.
protector on.png

Reactions: Bill combs
You are correct, you need to remove the cover when flying. You will get DJI Go errors otherwise (Gimbal obstruction) and of course no gimbal action for photography.

That doesn't look like the stock M2P cover though. It almost looks like an after-market protector that would allow full movement of the gimbal. I still wouldn't used one though, because optics (why spend more for a higher model drone with a Hasselblad lens if you're going to cover it with cheap plastic?).

If it's not something like that, then it's a pretty big DJI blunder to put that image up.

Chris

You’ll have noted the second piece of the gimbal protector which prevents gimbal motion. I’d remove it(and do so every time I fly). This allows the “gimbal dance” at startup.
Take it all off before startup.

I have forgotten to take it off a few times and it gives you a gimbal error and a terrible picture through it.
landed quickly and removed cover and all was good.

Another good reason to use a pre flight checklist.

I just watched a tutorial video on the DJI website, produced by DJI. The Mavic Pro in the shot is flying with the gimbal protector on. I was under the impression you had to remove that to fly. Can anyone clear that up for me (I'm a newb, just bought my M2P 2 weeks ago). Image attached is from the video I referenced, which is on the TapFly feature.
View attachment 84348

In this case, I look at it as something that is not advisable but also not a flub on the part of DJI, because of the following:
  • That picture is of a Mavic Pro (original) and not a Mavic 2. The OP mentions buying a M2P, and that's not what is in the picture.
  • The Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 (Pro and Zoom) have completely different gimbal covers.
  • The Mavic 2 gimbal protector is a one-piece hinged protector that both locks the gimbal in place and covers the entire camera/gimbal structure. You should never power up your M2P or M2Z with it in place as it will limit gimbal movement and could potentially burn out the gimbal motors.
  • The Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum have a 2-piece gimbal protector. A small plastic piece slides in behind the gimbal to lock it in place. Again, the MP or MPP should never be powered up with this gimbal lock in place. The other piece is what you see in the photo, and it covers the entire camera/gimbal assembly without limiting the motion of the gimbal. I see no reason to fly with it on, but it should not cause any damage if you do. I don't think the optical clarity will be there and you'll likely get bad pictures/video. There could also be a risk of camera overheating since the entire assembly is now shielded from airflow. I have never flown with it in place, but it can be done.

View attachment 84348
you must remove the gimbal cover on the m2p because it locks it in place and will cause a gimbal overload but the mp or mpp can fly with the cover because it does NOT lock the gimbal.

Reactions: Desert Hawkeye
you must remove the gimbal cover on the m2p because it locks it in place and will cause a gimbal overload but the mp or mpp can fly with the cover because it does NOT lock the gimbal.
With that said, it needs repeating that the gimbal cover you mention for the Mavic Pro (Not the 2) also has inside it, a clamping device which locks the camera in position. and this must be removed, even if you want to keep the outer cover in place. Therefore you will have to remove the cover first, then removed the little plastic locking clamp and then replace the round gimbal cover.

But why go through all that bother. it is pointless, there is no benefit to flying with the cover on. And don't try to tell me it is to protect the camera in case of an accident. If that is your thought, A) you were not going to be getting quality shots from the camera anyway, with a cover over the lens and B) you should invest in lessons to fly, so that you know what you are doing and this will greatly reduce the chance of a crash.

In fact, if you fly responsibly and with care and safety in mind at all times, you should never have to be concerned about a crash. There is still an over heating possibility to consider of the camera and the gimbal motors, when flying with the cover on. If you intend to use the camera, then NEVER have a cover in place while flying because you will not get quality images and depending on the angle of the sun, you will get all sorts of light reflections from the plastic.

Reactions: JS1600
You are correct, you need to remove the cover when flying. You will get DJI Go errors otherwise (Gimbal obstruction) and of course no gimbal action for photography.

That doesn't look like the stock M2P cover though. It almost looks like an after-market protector that would allow full movement of the gimbal. I still wouldn't used one though, because optics (why spend more for a higher model drone with a Hasselblad lens if you're going to cover it with cheap plastic?).

If it's not something like that, then it's a pretty big DJI blunder to put that image up.

Chris
The camera on that pic looks like the M2 Zoom with the round lens, also the gimbal cover doesn't look stock

The camera on that pic looks like the M2 Zoom with the round lens, also the gimbal cover doesn't look stock
Look at the bottom, the sensors are not the same as the Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro. That pic is of the Mavic Pro.

Reactions: Deleted member 3792
This cover came with the Pro Platinum. It was meant to reduce gimbal issues with high-wind or high-speed maneuvering.
Works great, except it can cause a flare in photos and videos from sun's reflection.

Reactions: Bebopperoo
View attachment 84348
Take it off or it gives you notifications on your phone that your gimbal is overload..

Take it off or it gives you notifications on your phone that your gimbal is overload..
Not totally correct. Please see post #5.

Not totally correct. Please see post #5.
Ah..i see .. i think its different im own m2 zoom and get the notifications that my gimbal overload if i forget to remove the cover but it seems different with mp cover..but the photo or video will be not good.. and i dont see the benefit not taking off the cover..imo

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo