DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly zones clarification

PirateUK

Reactions
Hi

Just to clarify something about what's allowed or not? with fly zones
Last weekend I was flying my Mavic Mini in bushy park South West London. The park and surrounding area is not in any restricted fly zones or any limits? Surprised Hampton Court Palace nearby is not in a restricted area though.
So i was in the park flying and doing some photography of the remote controlled boats on the late i was only about 10 feet above filming. Then a volunteer park warden comes over and tells me that drone flying is not permitted and that i need to land immediately. I put the drone in hover mode and showed him that i was flying not in any restricted airspace or area and that i am allowed to fly. He left me alone but warned me that it isn't allowed.

Was I correct? If an area according to DJI and other no fly maps in the UK all list Bushy park as a safe space to fly then its allowed?

Not necessarily to do with no fly zones.
You were in a park where local by laws or other restrictions could apply that have nothing to do with
airspace restrictions.
Where I work in the UK flying drones (or any other aircraft) is not permitted unless
prior permission is given.
Most parks etc have by laws and there is usually a 'nuisance' by law that may prevent flying.
It also depends on the staff as well, some take a more relaxed view.

I have mentioned a similar problem before which involves National Trust properties and others but some Local Authorities have used a similar approach.
What they will try and tell you is that you can't over fly their property. This is generally incorrect. What they can do is prevent you from taking off and landing from their property. Unless there is a very specific regulation which refers to the property in question they cannot prevent you from over flying. HOWEVER!!! be very aware with people like National Trust, English Heritage and Cadw any damage, however small can be very very expensive. This could even be as small as accidentally landing in a flower bed or disturbing a gravel path etc.
I have worked as a contractor for all of these organisations and know how highly they value their properties, and (their own self importance).
It also does not help that most of their staff are unaware of their actual legal position and will try and "bully" you.
Fly safely. Fly responsibly, BUT do not give in to intimidation. Know your rights and responsibilities. Be polite but stand your ground
In my case I am an 81 year old and have been a National Trust member for nearly 50 years so intimidation doesn't work with me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3