DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyaway and crash - on "return to home"

Dreovic

Reactions
Hey,

I have not flown so much yet. I wanted to do a test flight on an open plot of land with a river next to it. In order to return safely, at a certain moment I pressed the "return to home" button.
The drone was above me, and wanted to drop in height.
He dropped some altitude and then flew away in to the trees. Fortunately only slight damage.

I have attached a log. Can someone tell me what went wrong, or what I did wrong?

Another question: what is your setting in meters for the RTH Altitude in your controller?
Mine is 70 meters, is this to high?

Attachments

• 2019-02-01_15-27-39_FLY017.DAT
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-02-01_[13-36-21].txt
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
Without analyzing the logs (which other people are more skilled at than I am), I know the drone needs to be a certain distance away from the home point for RTH to work. Otherwise it will try to land right where it is. So I'm unclear, was it a distance away when you activated RTH or was it already above you?

Here's your uploaded flight log:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

He dropped some altitude and then flew away in to the trees. Fortunately only slight damage.
At 22m 18.6s, your Mavic arrived at the home point and started to descend.

At 22m 37.5s, you moved the right stick to the left and held it in that position. That commanded your Mavic to fly away toward the trees.

what is your setting in meters for the RTH Altitude in your controller?
It would not be wise to copy someone else's setting. Each time you fly in a new location, estimate the highest obstacle above the takeoff location and set the RTH Altitude to that height + 50 feet or so.

The aircraft moved during auto landing descent because you applied left aileron. Note that the sideways (right +ve) velocity (solid green) tracks the aileron input (dashed green) exactly starting at 1360 seconds, and corresponds with the home point distance increasing again.

1549039459810.png

O How terrible. I have not noticed that I have been on the stick with my finger....
thank you for the feedback!

O How terrible. I have not noticed that I have been on the stick with my finger....
Hi Dreovic if when you hit the RTH button let it do its job. don't touch any the sticks just be ready to press pause button In case things don't look right happy flyings

at least you have learnt from your mistake it should make you a better pilot keep the drone lower and closer to you and fly squares and fig 8s till you get able to know what a particular stick input will make your drone do there is no substitute for practise

The aircraft moved during auto landing descent because you applied left aileron. Note that the sideways (right +ve) velocity (solid green) tracks the aileron input (dashed green) exactly starting at 1360 seconds, and corresponds with the home point distance increasing again.

View attachment 61362

Hi, just a quick question: what software do you use to analyse the log files please? I’d love to have a look at a couple of mine and understand what’s going on, just out of curiosity. Thanks, take care. Peter

Reactions: JDawg
Hi, just a quick question: what software do you use to analyse the log files please? I’d love to have a look at a couple of mine and understand what’s going on, just out of curiosity. Thanks, take care. Peter

The txt flight logs can be decoded quite easily, either by uploading to @msinger's PhantomHelp website, Airdata, or using software such as TXTlogToCSVtool or @BudWalker's CsvView. PhantomHelp, Airdata and CsvView also allow you to visualize the data in various different ways, but I use the output from TXTlogToCSVtool and a scientific data analysis package (Igor Pro) which allows me to do a lot more processing on the data.

The DAT files need to be converted using DatCon or CsvView - I use DatCon to convert and Igor Pro for analysis.

Reactions: guigen
Thanks very much for that, I’ll have a look at those sites and programs you mentioned. As I said, just curious about what goes on “Under the hood “.

Hey,

I have not flown so much yet. I wanted to do a test flight on an open plot of land with a river next to it. In order to return safely, at a certain moment I pressed the "return to home" button.

I have attached a log. Can someone tell me what went wrong, or what I did wrong?

Another question: what is your setting in meters for the RTH Altitude in your controller?
Mine is 70 meters, is this to high?
RTH altitude 70 meters or nearly 300 feet depends on your environment, height of buildings or trees, for example.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929