Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying around Orlando - Requirements

Photo-Sorko

Reactions
Site
photo-sorko.at
Hey there!
I’m planning to attend a rocket start at the Kennedy Space Centre in 2020. It’s far in the future but I like to be well prepared. Of course, I’ll stay for a few more days in the region and I’d like to bring my drone with me.

So, my questions:
  1. Am I allowed to fly in this region and what are the requirements to fly my drone here as a tourist? License, labels on the drone, etc. What are the estimated costs for the requirements?
  2. Is there an online map showing restricted/allowed areas, because I don’t know all airports around Orlando?
  3. Anything special about having the drone in my luggage? Problems with the batteries (3 pcs.)? As far as I know, this depends on the air line.
  4. If you are staying near Orlando, have a car and three days in Spring/Summer: where would you go to film with your drone?
  5. Anything other I should know?

I appreciate every bit of information!
Greetings
Jürgen

I've taken a drone to Orlando several times. In addition to airports, most of the amusement parks are no fly zones, especially Disney. The beach is a good place to fly, just avoid the ones that are State Parks, FL has a state law against flying in a State Park.
There are 2 apps for your phone that most folks use. B4UFLY is the FAA one. AIRMAP is a lot better, I'd recommend you use it.
As far as License, labels on the drone, etc - same as anywhere else in the USA. Costs $5 to register and the registration number has to be clearly visible on the outside of the drone. Be wary of the scam sites that charge a bunch for something that takes 5 minutes to do yourself.
https://faadronezone.faa.gov/

Reactions: Photo-Sorko
Thank you for the information. I'll dig through the website in the next days!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S