DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at an airport

Stickybit

Reactions
Hi all,

I know that it normally is forbidden, but I had the chance to fly at an airport. An abonded one (it used to be an international airport until 1997).
A few days ago I spotted this airport near my current holiday house.

A short video can be found here (including flying nearby the old air traffic control tower):

So unique, but not illegal :cool:

If it is abandoned/no longer in use then it is probably okay to fly there. Just keep watchful for unexpected landings. An airplane in trouble would use it if it had to and with a dead engine there would not be much warning of its approach.

I also fly at a closed air base and it's quite often when a full sized aircraft do very low passes. Nothing worse than looking down the runway and seeing something flying low about 50 feet and you're in the air. This was just a few weeks ago:

DSC03517p.jpgDSC02767p.jpg

Reactions: Stickybit
Very cool. I’ll bet the old place really misses having flying machines frequenting it’s runways and ramps. I can just imagine what it was like there in the mid thirties. Please DJI. Make a time machine.

Reactions: Stickybit
If it is abandoned/no longer in use then it is probably okay to fly there. Just keep watchful for unexpected landings. An airplane in trouble would use it if it had to and with a dead engine there would not be much warning of its approach.

There were trees growing on the old runway and even some concrete things for motorcyclists (practicing their skills in driving) placed eveywhere. I think pilots already know it isn’t suitable for a safe hideaway anymore.

But I always keep an eye on the air around me [emoji106]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS