DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at night

TM74

Reactions
Can someone tell me if the mini2 is harder to control in the dark then day time, the reason I ask is because I did noticed when I took off and hovered at 3 feet it looked to be drifting slightly as if it was struggling to hold position ....so as someone who has never flew at night is this normal or could it have been lack of sats or compass needed a calibration.
I bottled out of it in any case !

Reactions: Davyc
When low it uses the downward looking vision censors to hold position etc., in darkness those sensors do not work or do not work so well. So, you are relying more on GPS which is not as accurate.
If flying in the dark be sure to get GPS lock before you lift off otherwise you may end up launching into ATTI mode and that would likely end in a crash.

Last edited by a moderator:
When low it uses the downward looking vision censors to hold position etc., in darkness those sensors do not work or do not work so well. So you are relying more on GPS which is not as accurate.
If flying in the dark be sure to get GPS lock before you lift off otherwise you may end up launching into ATTI mode and that would likely end in a crash.
I had 13 locked in it was hovering at a low level, but it did seem a bit slippy in the air if that makes sense ?.
Need an open area to try this out but it takes some guts at night lol

I had 13 locked in it was hovering at a low level, but it did seem a bit slippy in the air if that makes sense ?.
Need an open area to try this out but it takes some guts at night lol
The minis use two systems, GPS and the downward Visual Positioning System (VPS). They are used together in combination in varying amounts to control position. The VPS is relied on more for precision accuracy at low altitudes (below 30m??) then the GPS takes more control as the mini rises.

As @PhiliusFoggg said when light conditions are low, the optical VPS isn't working as it normally does at low altitudes and is forced to use the less accurate GPS signals to hold position. Without the VPS to accurately hold position the mini will drift slightly. It's in a mode often called GPS-ATTI where the mini will coast to a stop because it can't optical see the ground, and as you say, it will feel a bit slippery rather than quickly brake as we usually expect.

There isn't a problem flying in ATTI mode just be prepared for it to slide and drift a little. You won't notice much difference at higher altitudes as it will be using just GPS and will behave normally. As the Mini's bottom Landing sensors don't use visual light, they will act normally in dark conditions and aid in slowing a few feet above the ground when landing.

The minis use two systems, GPS and the downward Visual Positioning System (VPS). They are used together in combination in varying amounts to control position. The VPS is relied on more for precision accuracy at low altitudes (below 30m??) then the GPS takes more control as the mini rises.

As @PhiliusFoggg said when light conditions are low, the optical VPS isn't working as it normally does at low altitudes and is forced to use the less accurate GPS signals to hold position. Without the VPS to accurately hold position the mini will drift slightly. It's in a mode often called GPS-ATTI where the mini will coast to a stop because it can't optical see the ground, and as you say, it will feel a bit slippery rather than quickly brake as we usually expect.

There isn't a problem flying in ATTI mode just be prepared for it to slide and drift a little. You won't notice much difference at higher altitudes as it will be using just GPS and will behave normally. As the Mini's bottom Landing sensors don't use visual light, they will act normally in dark conditions and aid in slowing a few feet above the ground when landing.
Thanks .

Are there any mode settings that need adjusting prior to flight? Or just let the VPS & GPS work? I saw the mention of letting the GPS lock happen before taking flight. I have a Mavic 2 Pro but have yet to fly at night.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000