DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying distances

pedrod355

Reactions
Hello All,

Just bought a new mavic pro 2 drone,

What distance/coverage is everyone getting with there drone? i am disappointed as drone wont fly far at all without going out of signal? Am i missing a trick or something?

Any help appreciated...

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
How far are you able to fly?
How high is the drone?
What type of environment are you out flying in?

Make sure that the antennas on the remote are pointed in the same direction as the drone.

How far are you able to fly?
How high is the drone?
What type of environment are you out flying in?

Make sure that the antennas on the remote are pointed in the same direction as the drone.
Not checked distance exactly but a guess 50M
Not sure on height but you never loose sight of it
mixture really, hilly environments but then today a good open clear area with plenty visibility and it made no difference.

What distances can you average?

I've only been flying for two weeks and the furthest I've flown is around 6000ft/2000m. I also have a mavic mini so there's a difference in radios too.

Hight is an important factor when testing range so be mindful of that

Hello All,

Just bought a new mavic pro 2 drone,

What distance/coverage is everyone getting with there drone? i am disappointed as drone wont fly far at all without going out of signal? Am i missing a trick or something?

Any help appreciated...
You are legally restricted to 500m or LOS whichever is less in the UK under the Air Navigation Order CAP393 in any case.

Multiple threads using the search function already asking/answering the same question!
And Welcome to the forum . :)

Reactions: Mrmund
With my Anafi, in an area with a lot of wifi interference, I'm getting 200 meters before the signal begins to break up. In an open area with little interference I've gone out as far as my ability to see the tiny drone will allow (about 400 meters). With my Mavic Pro (Ocusync) I don't know what the limit would be but it would be beyond my ability to see the drone. The reception with the MP has been rock solid.

Reactions: Mrmund
Check your satellites. If you drop to 6 or less then you go into ATTI mode. Still, the AC should be connect but the environment plays a lot into it (trees, mountains, power lines) etc., even the type of mountains (composition).

i know your going to laugh, but have you switched it out of beginner mode in the app it comes in that mode when its new, also the max distance is able to be set in the app, have you registered you drone with the CAA it is now law in the UK from the first of December

Not grasping all of this... so if the controller & drone have a clear line of site between each other why won’t it travel further? if dji claim it will fly 5 miles or so away it must be able to fly a mile at least easily?

I have checked and it is out of beginner mode etc, controller just keeps saying loss of signal.

Max distance managed is 2900M
Max height of 70m

Going by statistics on app

Flying distances seem to cropping up a lot lately, we have all been given the rules we can fly to and the extended distances we can fly with the appropriate permissions. So why the deep rooted need to take the drone to its limits? And the cry when the drone crashes or they lose it?
Come on fellas, enjoy the moments, marvel at the scenes you an capture now that you couldn’t before..

Flying distances seem to cropping up a lot lately, we have all been given the rules we can fly to and the extended distances we can fly with the appropriate permissions. So why the deep rooted need to take the drone to its limits? And the cry when the drone crashes or they lose it?
Come on fellas, enjoy the moments, marvel at the scenes you an capture now that you couldn’t before..
Am not wanting to take it to the limits!! just don’t see the point having a drone that will basically just hover above your head!

Why advertise a drone that will fly x amount when in reality it will struggle to fly a 5th of this? false advertisement....

Reactions: MaxE1955!
Just for info, I had a project where I needed to fly the length of a body of water. I had the permissions required and it was 2K long. I have a team on hand and we had spotters along the route. The pilot was situated in the middle of the spotters at 1K distance (max) from the drone At any point along the way. We used 4 other spotters oblong the route to safely complete the task 500m apart. I have never been so scared of losing my drone in the drink but all went well. I saw the whole trip on my monitor and the spotters watched from their vantage points. I have done distance now and if I am honest most jobs we undertake dont require distance anyway. Enjoy whatever you choose to fly and shoot.

the point we are trying to make to you is this in the UK the max height you can fly at is120m AGL and the max distance is 500m from the home point you already said you had gone 2900m which is not VLOS as there is no way you could have seen the drone at that distance in the UK the range is less than the US because of the lower radiating power of the transmitter to comply with UK radio transmission rules

the point we are trying to make to you is this in the UK the max height you can fly at is120m AGL and the max distance is 500m from the home point you already said you had gone 2900m which is not VLOS as there is no way you could have seen the drone at that distance in the UK the range is less than the US because of the lower radiating power of the transmitter to comply with UK radio transmission rules
Thanks for reply, you answered my query , uk has lower transmitting power than us.Ps- i just had another look at app, it was a overall total flying distance of 2900m i covered!

Thanks for reply, you answered my query , uk has lower transmitting power than us.Ps- i just had another look at app, it was a overall total flying distance of 2900m i covered!
no problem the thing about occusync is not so much the range its the stability of the signal between controller and drone,there will be times when you will get glitches for instance if you fly to close to high voltage power lines, or are to low in a valley and end up with trees between you and the drone, even if you can see the drone trees especially those in leaf will absorb the signal from the controller

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome to the forum Pedrod355.

As pointed out above at 2900m you may be able to see the environment around your drone but you can't see the drone itself. So are you complying with DLOS rules?

It will have a better signal if you fly higher.

I have a MP2 and my maximum distance has been 1800m at about 90m altitude about 400-500m out from the coast over a bar. Perfect signal and control. Very little radio activity in the area, no overhead power lines etc. I did not max out, that was just where I wanted to photograph. Also aware of flight time home and possible wind changes. I got nice shots, but hey I really should have got off my butt and gone down to the point and flown legally. On another flight I had signal issues at 500m. That was due to trees between me and the MP2, as I dropped down low for some better shots. Fly over a sources of EM radiation or large steel objects and signal can go sideways pretty fast.

In my view if you can get your MPS out 3km with no issues you should feel happy. You are outside the legal envelop in most countries.
Cheers
Flynz

Reactions: old man mavic
3 miles max for me with clear line of site. I let it RTH when it wanted to and still landed with 38 percent battery. Perfect signal the entire time. It's capable much further.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143