DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying drone in Edinburgh

jamesduncan5

Reactions
Hi

in Edinburgh and am reasonably new to drone flying so was wondering if someone could clarify something for me. I have the NATS app and am looking for places to practice flying. I am aware of the restrictions round airports obviously and notice that there are a number of areas and flight paths which are not permitted. My question is that I am in a very large circle outside the main airport one which extends all the way to Musselburgh in the east and Bo’ness in the west. Can I confirm if I am allowed to fly in this area at all? The app spays that it is restricted airspace but that I should take care when flying. Not that I can’t fly at all.

any help would be appreciated

cheers

james

Hi

in Edinburgh and am reasonably new to drone flying so was wondering if someone could clarify something for me. I have the NATS app and am looking for places to practice flying. I am aware of the restrictions round airports obviously and notice that there are a number of areas and flight paths which are not permitted. My question is that I am in a very large circle outside the main airport one which extends all the way to Musselburgh in the east and Bo’ness in the west. Can I confirm if I am allowed to fly in this area at all? The app spays that it is restricted airspace but that I should take care when flying. Not that I can’t fly at all.

cheers

james
Ps I have a magic mini 2

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Please use one of the best forum search options.

Please share your pictures, videos and knowledge about your drones.

Someone who lives in the UK can explain it better but I am sure you can fly.

I also live in Edinburgh. You can register with dronescene.co.uk and the interactive map will show you were you can safely fly in the UK.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Please use one of the best forum search options.

Please share your pictures, videos and knowledge about your drones.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi, the large circle on the map going out to Musselburgh is Class D controlled airspace. You are allowed to fly in controlled airspace as you are operating under 120M (or should be), it's the airports FRZ you can't fly in. See image. With the Mini 2 though you can pretty much fly it anywhere (except over crowds) since the new rules came in on the 31st Dec.
1611496588137.png

Reactions: D_The_Producer
This is something I think that leads to a lot of confusion, different maps showing different things and people INCLUDING ME not understanding the differences.
I use the map published by the airport near me and I am 'slightly' outside the restriction zone they show. Other maps I have looked at show 'zones' extending for MILES beyond the area shown on the airport's map. The various DJI control apps 'agree' with the airport's map in that I am warned I am near 'something' and I stay WELL away from the 'something'.
Maybe Drumsagard's class D air space explains the differences between the maps.

Hi, the large circle on the map going out to Musselburgh is Class D controlled airspace. You are allowed to fly in controlled airspace as you are operating under 120M (or should be), it's the airports FRZ you can't fly in. See image. With the Mini 2 though you can pretty much fly it anywhere (except over crowds) since the new rules came in on the 31st Dec.
View attachment 122424
Thank you for clearing that up. I was hoping that was the case otherwise...****.....I would have to drive nearly to The Borders to fly my drone ?

This is something I think that leads to a lot of confusion, different maps showing different things and people INCLUDING ME not understanding the differences.
I use the map published by the airport near me and I am 'slightly' outside the restriction zone they show. Other maps I have looked at show 'zones' extending for MILES beyond the area shown on the airport's map. The various DJI control apps 'agree' with the airport's map in that I am warned I am near 'something' and I stay WELL away from the 'something'.
Maybe Drumsagard's class D air space explains the differences between the maps.
Most of these map apps/websites have layers that can be turned off and on, depending on which restrictions you want to see. The image I posted above is from Drone Scene - Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Drone Scene The best imho.
Here is the Edinburgh area with the controlled D airspace layer turning on in the map.
1611505783814.png
and here is the map with controlled D airspace turned off.
1611505397828.png
DJI also make up their own, here is the map with DJI layer turned on.
1611505517560.png
As you can see, it's slightly different again.
The only people who control the airspace is the CAA, so I tend to ignore DJI's take on it. So I keep the DJI layer turned off and the controlled D airspace layer turned off (as we are allowed to fly in it under 120M). As I said, it's the airport Flight Restriction Zone you need to watch out for.
Airspace restrictions for unmanned aircraft and drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority (caa.co.uk)

Attachments

• 1611505341012.png
    1611505341012.png
    899.1 KB · Views: 7
View attachment 122424
Just curious, any idea what that small, squarish restricted area to the lower right of the large circle might be?

Reactions: Drumsagard
HMP Edinburgh perhaps, I wondered too. In the centre of the triangle Stenhouse, Saughton & Longstone?

Reactions: Drumsagard
Hi

cheers

james
You can fly in that area but must abide by drone code rules

Reactions: D_The_Producer
Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster. I’m in Edinburgh and have just gotten the Mini 2. I’m looking to do recreational and maybe some stock footage capture. I had PfCO in the Isle of Man but it’s expired (and not valid in the UK anyway).

Looking at the NATs app and reading the new A1 regs for sub 250g drones it looks like I can fly all over Edinburgh (obvs not in Edinburgh’s CTR or over crowds) but looking at the bylaws from the Council they appear to limit where we can fly - requiring permissions for parks, cemetery’s, roads and council owned land). That highly limits where the drone can be flown surely as roads are ... well, everywhere?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated - I don’t want to deal with the beuracracy of the council just yet.

I have public liability insurance and my operator and flyer ID is all up to date.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143