DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Drone Tips for Intermediate Level

Daria Sorokina

Reactions
Hi, guys! I am flying drones for quite a while. Do you have any tips, video tutorials, or courses for suggestions to improve my knowledge? How to fly safer and in general to know more details about it. Thank you in advance :)

Hi Daria, I see this is your first post to the forum, so welcome !

It's a bit of an open question as such, no one knows where you are in the drone pilots learning curve.
Perhaps post a video or two in the Photos and Video section, even the sub Video Critiques there, ask for people to make some creative comments to improve.

Again, welcome, and I wish your country all the best in current times with the escalating situation there, hopefully peace can prevail.

Thank you for an answer :) and for mentioning the timing for Ukraine.
I have Mavic 2 Pro with a smart controller but I'm still very basic at it. I understand how composition works, shutter speed, etc, but my main problem is the actual flying aka smoothness, getting to objects closer without freaking out that I might wreck it and such. Can you recommend me any good youtube channels or paid stuff that can help me improve on that aspect?

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

When I want a video showing a very close approach to an object I often go very slowly to get close, and the fly backwards away from it at desired speed. Then I reverse the video in post processing.

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

When I want a video showing a very close approach to an object I often go very slowly to get close, and then fly backwards away from it at desired speed. Then I reverse the video in post processing.
Great, thank you! :)

Reactions: Rchawks
my main problem is the actual flying aka smoothness, getting to objects closer without freaking out that I might wreck it and such. Can you recommend me any good youtube channels or paid stuff that can help me improve on that aspect?

Smoothness, a few things you can do here . . .
Either adjust your flight parameters down a little, so the stick movements give less impact to changes . . . I mainly adjust yaw (turning down) quite a bit so they would be less jerky.
Or, use Tripod mode, it slows everything down for nice smooth movements, but you might only use that for close flying, or speed up sections of normal flight that are too boringly slow.

Also adjust gimbal speed sensitivity down a lot, I think I took mine (M1P) down form 10 (?) to 3, so that moves very slow.
You can use the controller 5D bitton to get it straight down or back up level fast as needed.

Closer to objects.
Use your OA (obstacle avoidance) to its full advantage.
It won't let you crash in most cases, just be aware of fine branches / twigs, wires, etc, it won't pick them up !
I try and stay close, like right behind when close to things, if going through tight places or close to within OA limits, you usually have to turn OA off to avoid it refusing to go closer.

There are LOADS of youtube videos on all aspects / tricks of these topics, suggest go to YT and search > M2P <, then add what you wish to find, like any of these > flying close objects < > settings smooth flight < etc, there will be a lot of great tutorials to go through.

So a search for > M2P fly close objects < brings up a list and scroll down find one like . . .

Search for > settings smooth flight < a lot more results . . . the list . . .

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=M2P+settings+smooth+flight

Having fun and learning these in a safe flight space to start, develop a couple of little things at a time, starting with maybe the controller stick sensitivity, then practice :)

Smoothness, a few things you can do here . . .
Either adjust your flight parameters down a little, so the stick movements give less impact to changes . . . I mainly adjust yaw (turning down) quite a bit so they would be less jerky.
Or, use Tripod mode, it slows everything down for nice smooth movements, but you might only use that for close flying, or speed up sections of normal flight that are too boringly slow.

Also adjust gimbal speed sensitivity down a lot, I think I took mine (M1P) down form 10 (?) to 3, so that moves very slow.
You can use the controller 5D bitton to get it straight down or back up level fast as needed.

Closer to objects.
Use your OA (obstacle avoidance) to its full advantage.
It won't let you crash in most cases, just be aware of fine branches / twigs, wires, etc, it won't pick them up !
I try and stay close, like right behind when close to things, if going through tight places or close to within OA limits, you usually have to turn OA off to avoid it refusing to go closer.

There are LOADS of youtube videos on all aspects / tricks of these topics, suggest go to YT and search > M2P <, then add what you wish to find, like any of these > flying close objects < > settings smooth flight < etc, there will be a lot of great tutorials to go through.

So a search for > M2P fly close objects < brings up a list and scroll down find one like . . .

Search for > settings smooth flight < a lot more results . . . the list . . .

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=M2P+settings+smooth+flight

Having fun and learning these in a safe flight space to start, develop a couple of little things at a time, starting with maybe the controller stick sensitivity, then practice :)

Tripod mode only goes so far to slow things down - it still will make jerky movements - ask me how I know from and old guy with shaky hands.

Gimbal movements in the Apps does help - it's just figuring out the right settings and how "low" do I go. That requires making a setting change, going out flying, and making some movements to see if it is enough or too much. I haven't hit the too much setting yet.

Obstacle avoidance - can panic people and you have to take your eyes off the drone long enough to see where the orange bands are on the screen. Sometimes that can lead to "crashing" or at minimum hitting the obstacle - like a small twig / limb. The camera is not a good thing to see oncoming obstacles for most part as it's hard to tell how close that obstacle truly is - no real depth perception on it. Not saying OA does no help - it does - but it's not a failsafe.

For good practice - DJI does have a "flight simulator" software package. I'd suggest downloading it and using it. Youtube DOES NOT help you hone your flying skills by watching a video. The "Flight Simulator" does.

As in all sports, venures, and such - PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Only real way to get the feel of your drone and how it flies.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Obstacle avoidance - can panic people and you have to take your eyes off the drone long enough to see where the orange bands are on the screen.

That's just the radar on screen, if you turn OA off I'm not sure that goes away ??
To be honest I don't know that, as I leave the OA on all the time as I rarely try and fly through or close to things.

Anyway, I'm surprised most pilots aren't almost always looking at their screens, rather than eyes on the drone.
Videoing you are wanting to see what's being captured, same too for photos when composing the shot and adjusting settings etc.
Keeping an eye on the drone view to see where it's really going (when not close and travelling directly away) and also watching the telemetry info.

I hardly ever look at my drone in the sky, and mostly even without goggles pilots really do sort of fly FPV much of the time.

You're right about practice, in a slow controlled way that will improve all aspects of flying and filming.

Hello Daria,

Welcome to the forum.

Tlswift58 is correct that you can't learn skills from YT alone and that you need practice.

But what YT can do for you is to show you in a video what exercises you need to do to to improve flying skills.

There is a jungle out there on YT with a lot of cowboys that don't know anything about flying but they make a beautiful video and are convincing because of how the video looks.
I wouldn't trust them with a broom for sweeping the street.

There is a German airline pilot on YT who I do trust and he is excellent at explaining in his tutorials and his flying and filming skills are perfect.

Look for Tom's Tech Time for his channel on YT.
Or visit his site at www.tomstechtime.com where you can find all his videos and tutorials and also reviews of drones.

You live in a beautiful country and I hope that you will post some videos here to show us what your little piece of the world looks like.

As we aren't allowed to travel, we can expand our view of the world by showing it to each other here.

Greetings from the Netherlands ??

Ruud

Hi, guys! I am flying drones for quite a while. Do you have any tips, video tutorials, or courses for suggestions to improve my knowledge? How to fly safer and in general to know more details about it. Thank you in advance :)
Some of my best safety tips have come from reading the "Crash and Flyaway Assistance" forum here on mavicpilots.

Nearly every thread demonstrates a way that someone was surprised by the loss of their drone. Usually, it's because the pilot exceeded some limitation of the drone, but sometimes, the limits aren't so obvious.

Occasionally, the crashes are due to random equipment failure, but those are rare.

That's just the radar on screen, if you turn OA off I'm not sure that goes away ??
To be honest I don't know that, as I leave the OA on all the time as I rarely try and fly through or close to things.

Anyway, I'm surprised most pilots aren't almost always looking at their screens, rather than eyes on the drone.
Videoing you are wanting to see what's being captured, same too for photos when composing the shot and adjusting settings etc.
Keeping an eye on the drone view to see where it's really going (when not close and travelling directly away) and also watching the telemetry info.

I hardly ever look at my drone in the sky, and mostly even without goggles pilots really do sort of fly FPV much of the time.

You're right about practice, in a slow controlled way that will improve all aspects of flying and filming.

If you turn OA off in the App - you are flying like in Sport Mode - ZERO Obstacle Avoidance from the drone. So - really flying by the seat of your pants.

No idea on Aussie Rules for drones - by in the USA - we have VLOS - vertical line of sight on the drone. If you're not watching the drone, you are technically flying against the rules. Yes, we ALL do look at the screen on occasion when videoing, but if you are flying solo and watching the screen all the time - you are not in compliance. How many fly strictly by screen or googles - probably A LOT - yet again under US rules - you are required to have a spotter. Just like sending a drone out 2 miles or whatever the KM comparison is - again against the rules as I don't know anyone who can see a tiny gray drone 2 miles away - I have a hard time a few hundred feet away at times. Do we do it - sure - but again not per the rules. Aussie Rules may be way different (doubt it) and they allow you to go rogue - yet that can tend to cause even stricter rules when the person crashes the drone / etc.

I am not telling you how to fly or anyone else - that is your business - and we all tend to skirt the rules to some degree - as most are pretty stupid / restrictive beyond common sense / and if I flew strictly VLOS where I live and fly - would go about 50 yards max due to trees and such. Yet knowing where your drone is is important for many reasons - esp if it crashes and you want to find it. Safety is another, yet many do fly where no people are and clear for miles - so less risk there.

Would I know most of this had I not taken a Part 107 class - nope. And that seems to be a major issue with Rec Flyers who don't know the rules and use apps like KittyHawk and others to KNOW where and when they can fly properly. Simply buying a drone and flying is not good enough. That is why many states and cities, esp in America - are banning drones altogether in many places. As more people buy and fly - without some knowledge - the restrictions will only get worse due to simple ignorance of not knowing.

If you turn OA off in the App - you are flying like in Sport Mode - ZERO Obstacle Avoidance from the drone. So - really flying by the seat of your pants.

No idea on Aussie Rules for drones - by in the USA - we have VLOS - vertical line of sight on the drone. If you're not watching the drone, you are technically flying against the rules. Yes, we ALL do look at the screen on occasion when videoing, but if you are flying solo and watching the screen all the time - you are not in compliance.

Yes, I realise turning OA off results in zero OA, and many do it to fly though tight places etc.
No reason to turn OA off for most pilots and the way we fly in 90% of videos etc.
I was wondering if the RADAR still works when OA is turned off, the bars on the screen that come up green, orange, red, double red, etc as you get closer to obstacles, think it kicks in about 5 or 6m (up to 20 - 25') from something the sensors can pick up.

I think most drone pilots that are filming are CERTAINLY always looking at their monitor devices.
That's how you video a scene, you literally can't watch a drone and video at the same time (well, film decently at least).

VLOS (visual line of sight) is in the Aussie rules too, basically means you should be able to see your drone at all times.
This doesn't mean you have to be watching your drone at all times when flying, just be able to look up and find it relatively easily if required, and be close enough to see approaching dangers like light aircraft.
Of course there are many pilots that go outside this, it's obvious in the many videos posted all over the internet.

Flying crazy distances most times pilots get away with it, or they may lose their drone in a few cases, and very very rarely it may result in some sort of incident . . . a crash on someones property, a crash in a public space where people are, or heaven forbid some sort of near miss with a heli, light plane, or other such.

Those incidents need to be avoided of course, but human nature / occasional stupidity by some = that will never happen in reality.
It's the same with all sorts of things in life, guns, vehicle control, etc, you can't keep them out of the wrong hands 100% of the time.

The rules and licensing is going in the right direction in Australia, no one for about now will be able to buy a drone with knowing it needs to be registered, pilot taken a basic rules test, and as such know the basic rules from CASA (FAA equivalent).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ